Adebayor

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

S9FRN.gif

I really can't understand or relate to people who say Adebayor was unmotivated for us. The Adebayor I watched last year in almost every game, regularly sprinted all over the field closing down the ball, relentlessly moved into space to receive the ball, tried to link up play and make things happen, etc. Shit, Pav was a "lazier" player than Ade has ever been for us.

I know it fits a convenient moralistic narrative for people to hate on him for being lazy or arrogant or something but the story is really a lot simpler: he tried really hard but he was shit until he had a good run of games at the end of the year. That's it.

Just because he wears flashy jewelry, earns high wages, used to play for Woolwich and is a bit standoffish doesn't mean he is an appropriate target for all this weird unsubstantiated vitriol.

In all seriousness, I've had depression... I say had because it really never truly goes away, it's still there in the background and it's a conscious decision to wake up and face the world and fight on each day.

Not being an expert and not knowing how it has affected 1000s of others.... I can say that when I broke, I retreated from the world - curtains drawn, stopped going to work, parents begging me at the front door to let them in while I hid in my own house and pretended not to be in.
Stopped looking after myself completely, zero self esteem, zero confidence. The most I did was answer the door to receive a takeaway, house was a tip and I mean bad tip.
Until friends called the police and they kicked my door in and took me back to my parents. But I never talked about it, never asked for help - mainly because of the shame, shame of how I'd failed and let everyone and myself down and at the time I didn't realise what was happening to me as I'd completely lost perspective of everything. Days and nights passed with no consequence.

This was over 10 years ago, I'm stronger for it now in some ways but there is always something in the background. It takes effort not to give in again. It took effort to want to get better too - my family could have done all they wanted and they were a great help, but if I hadn't wanted deep down to get better, nothing could have helped.
I can't speak for others though one of my mates has had it too - which turned out to also be aspergers and we have had very different experiences. I didn't see a doc or counseling, I used family and my years of training in martial arts and yoga to help me - and in large part my depression was financial/physical world based, so once I cleared the debts it became a lot easier. My mate went to the priory, is still medicated to the eyeballs and is a totally different person with possible chemical imbalances in the brain.

Perhaps its a genetic disposition and something that some folks have to battle with for their whole life if their are susceptible.

I can only speak for 2 real cases, myself and my friend. During the time (and for my mate after too) - there was massive weight gain as theres no motivation to look after yourself with decent food or exercise, physical appearance goes right out the window - like shaving, haircuts, cleaning properly, appearances in public a no no. I could go on.

Granted it can be different for everyone and I genuinely have the utmost heartfelt empathy for anyone that struggles with depression..... from everything I see, I don't think Ade has depression.

Maybe he's bipolar, has some other disorder, maybe he's just a cunt and then after having pissed everyone off he struggles, maybe an attention seeker. I dunno.
But from everything I've experienced first hand and seen in a close friend, depression is not what this guy has

I don't get the praises, I really don't, everybody slated him throughout the season, the abuse he got after the Woolwich game when he got sent off was incredible. If the game against Chelsea had come earlier in the season I doubt it would even be remembered or referenced.
No, "everybody" did not slate him. Just the moaners did. Some of us remembered the previous season and also were able to spot the games where he added more than Defoe, even when he wasn't scoring.

Adebayor, as an ex-Gooner, is an easy target. Always has been, always will be. I can't remember any other Spurs player getting dumped on so quickly when his form hit the shitter. But when people take emotions out of their hearts then you start to realise that the "Adebayor is a lazy mercenary" thing is based on pure guess work and assumption. Fact is that he is the more capable player, whether people want to accept that or not. Frankly, the amount of seasons we've seen Defoe run how and cold over the months, it equally baffles me why people think he's a top four capable player. I can't remember one season where he didn't dip out of form at some point. Contrast this to only two seasons of Adebayor, the first of which was more consistent than any of Defoe's. Yet it's still Adebayor who comes in for the abuse.

It was wrong for Adebayor to say it in front of the other players, but he'd already gone to the manager privately and he'd been ignored - and AVB was the one who had insisted he had an open door policy where players were free to communicate, so I can understand it.

Adebayor already had a decade in top football by that point. It's not like he was a numpty who knew fuck all. Plus AVB should've penalised him by way of a fine or some such. Not entirely frozen him out of the side. Freezing him out of the side meant that AVB had made it personal....and that's a very risky strategy when you've got a 100k a week talent sitting around doing nothing while the boss who pays most of that salary is looking over your shoulder.

He's a young guy with no real pro player experience, "open door" was only good until a strong character tried to suggest he didn't know it all perhaps? Not AVBs fault, but he is perhaps too young to get away with it?

orh.gif

I actually felt sorry for Ade yesterday. You could see he was furious with himself after missing that header, and the way he went in for the ball when Siggy scored, nearly taking Caulkers head and Collinson at the same time, showed desperation to score.

That is what is causing him problems, his desperation to score. It's too much and he is snatching at chances rather than getting some composure. He is working really hard on the pitch, closing players down, always it is him charging the gk, holding up play immensely and laying the ball off in a very able way.

What he probably needs is to have the fans on side. If we would only let him know we love him, he would start scoring. Even if we don't. I just don't understand 'fans' who insult our own players. Don't they understand that it undermines the team?

The smile when he misses is clearly self deprecating. Look at the body language, not just the face. He is seriously pissed with himself. And he immediately throws himself about the pitch.

Ade wasn't poor yesterday - but our midfield axis of Dembele and Parker wasn't great. Fortunately it is a team, and when some players don't perform to their usual, others step up.

Yeah but he is supposed to be in a state of deep grieving for his brother.
I honestly didn't know that people were still supposed to abide by a set period of grieving for loved ones.

Thought that stopped being a cultural obligation at least 100 years ago.

People grieve in different ways you asshole. Just because we've seen a 10 second video of him dancing doesn't mean he isn't in pain.

Negative nancy. Almost as much of a cunt as Mr. Always Right.

Fuck all. Problem is, he does that on the pitch and training ground.

Tell him he won't play. Loan him somewhere to get a percentage of his wage back and if he shines there, he'll get a decent club when his contract with us runs out. We get a bit of money back in and we get rid of his influence. He gets paid, gets to play and probably gets a decent level of club when he leaves us. Everyone's a winner.

As he's an employee of the club , just get him to do other shite , cleaning, working behind the bar etc...fuck it ,he could be Chirpy for a bit

So if Adolph Hitler banged in 30 goals a season you would support him regardless of his murder of 6 million Jews? If an African warlord who made 10 year olds shoot and kill their own mothers and sisters was a brilliant box to box defender or If the killers of lee Rigby could ping a 40 yard cross field pass to the toes of Kane you would support him?

Just because he wore the shirt?

You're an idiot child. Please don't breed.
Fucking ridiculous post. Everyone knows Hitler was a Gooner.

I really can’t understand all the booing / Ade hate.

If you’re a passionate enough Spurs supporter to pay to see them on a regular basis. To pour your heart out on an internet forum, to argue with complete strangers to the point of insanity about things that have no bearing or substance to your life in the wider scheme of things. Then why in gods name, WHY wouldn’t you do everything within you power to help our beloved Tottenham Hotspur win every game they play.

What is to be gained from it? Will screaming CUNT at him, your face twisted in rage, suddenly metamorphasise him into a different player? The goal scorer we badly need. Will it spur him on to give that mythical 110%? Will he suddenly stand up and say “you know what, that fat prick screaming racist abuse at me is right, I should fuck off back to Africa?” The irony being that it was exactly that which set off this whole new spate of Ade hate in the first place.

The team have just started performing, not consistently, but we’re not underperforming consistently either. Do we really want to go back there? The infighting, the bickering, the abject-lifeless home atmospheres. The constant booing?

Short fucking memories some of you lot.

As for the Captaincy? The armbands where given out at the beginning of the season (I dont really care who by), before the manager had any idea of who would feature in his first team and follow his ideology. The decisions were made, and have to be stood by. Get over it.

Here is the deal, the bloke is not obliged to leave. He is on a wage that the club agreed to pay. He does have family who are settled in London. Who the fuck would want to play for QPR?

The fella is divisive, no question about it but I do sometimes wonder if people just want to hate him.

There is far more to the bloke than meets the eye, and whilst I have been frustrated by him, and his comments earlier in the season were unwise, although quite possibly right - the atmosphere has been toxic - I can't for the life of me see any positives in booing him.

I'd far sooner we sing his name on the weekend, against a group of Melvin's who hate him because of something that doesn't even come close to what Judas did to us, and see him put in a proper shift, against a team he loves to score against.

It's all about the bigger picture, so support the team, and support the players would be my message.

There, I've said it and can't take it back.

The worst thing about last night was that gooner cunt getting a standing ovation. I know he played well but we're a laughing stock for accepting him as one of us. I bumped into 2 West Ham mates that were at the game on the way home and they said it was embarrassing him getting clapped off.

I can't wait till he's gone.

such a massive gooner.....

Adebayor.gif
:adeohshit:

adestamp1.gif
:adelol:

Back
Top Bottom