Adebayor

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah he played 14 league games for them and came off the bench in 8 of those. He scored 5 goals in those games. Don't know if the goals were in games he started more or came off the bench more, and haven't looked at his cup games.

So those 8 games off the bench in 14 wouldn't support my post but I would say he was motivated more at Madrid. He was on loan and wanted a way out of City. Just like when he was on loan here and scored loads.

If we keep him and he's a bench player next season, I don't see him being motivated. Whereas Defoe has the WC to motivate him.

But I'm not anti-Adebayor, this would just be the way I see it if we end up selling one or the other.

Rather sell them Defoe. Adebayor is younger and a better player when on his game. Won't rehash the other arguments, but I think it's a mistake if we get rid of him and keep Defoe.

Now, if we got rid of both and got in three new forwards I'd be cool with that, but that's not going to happen is it....

I think there are two different debates to Defoe or Ade

For the starter and who should be leading the line as Striker, Ade without a doubt

But assuming Spurs bring in a complete Striker this transfer window, who would you rather have off the bench and for spot start purposes? For me, I'd prefer Defoe who is a very capable Striker as a sub w/ that "one moment of brillance" attribute and a guy you can trust. Ade has a pretty weak mentality and I dont see him being very productive as not an automatic starter for this club or any other club for that matter

Besiktas and THFC have agreed to a a sum of around 5-6 large and most importantly have agreed to take on Ade's ridiculous 100k in wages ??

This would be yet another gem by Levy

But Ade is holding it up for Europa ? Come on. We all saw that adventure. That ball from the PK is still in orbit.

Besiktas and THFC have agreed to a a sum of around 5-6 large and most importantly have agreed to take on Ade's ridiculous 100k in wages ??

This would be yet another gem by Levy

But Ade is holding it up for Europa ? Come on. We all saw that adventure. That ball from the PK is still in orbit.

To be fair he may be waiting to see if we sign a striker or not, and who, before making his decision on a move or stay. No rush from his perspective is there.

I really can't understand or relate to people who say Adebayor was unmotivated for us. The Adebayor I watched last year in almost every game, regularly sprinted all over the field closing down the ball, relentlessly moved into space to receive the ball, tried to link up play and make things happen, etc. Shit, Pav was a "lazier" player than Ade has ever been for us.

I know it fits a convenient moralistic narrative for people to hate on him for being lazy or arrogant or something but the story is really a lot simpler: he tried really hard but he was shit until he had a good run of games at the end of the year. That's it.

Just because he wears flashy jewelry, earns high wages, used to play for Woolwich and is a bit standoffish doesn't mean he is an appropriate target for all this weird unsubstantiated vitriol.

I really can't understand or relate to people who say Adebayor was unmotivated for us. The Adebayor I watched last year in almost every game, regularly sprinted all over the field closing down the ball, relentlessly moved into space to receive the ball, tried to link up play and make things happen, etc. Shit, Pav was a "lazier" player than Ade has ever been for us.

I know it fits a convenient moralistic narrative for people to hate on him for being lazy or arrogant or something but the story is really a lot simpler: he tried really hard but he was shit until he had a good run of games at the end of the year. That's it.

Just because he wears flashy jewelry, earns high wages, used to play for Woolwich and is a bit standoffish doesn't mean he is an appropriate target for all this weird unsubstantiated vitriol.

Please someone post this in 50 foot high lettering outside the stadium. Sums it up perfectly.

Trust me , I see your point. But I'm not talking about his work-rate, the fact that he wears jewelry or makes a ton of money. I'm solely speaking to his wretched ability in front of the net, the wages attached to that and the need to upgrade at his very position. And he clearly is holding up that process

I am hardly Ade's biggest critic, though I used to hate the guy. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt last year because of how good he was during his loan season with us. He is not a traditional striker, in that he feeds as much as he scores. People call him lazy but he turns up everywhere on the pitch to receive the ball and helps move play forward. This subject has been beaten to death.

If we can get a good fee for him it will be good in Levy's eyes as his wages are staggered with us paying more every year he's here. At least if you believe "insiders." In this case it sounds right. There's no way we're paying him anywhere near what City were, and there's no way he'd have come here without being compensated by City in some way. So if we can lay that burden on Besiktas or whoever and free up 90-100k/week it will only help. We will need to bring a young striker in, and I have no idea who that is. Dunno about Harry Kane in the long run. Still very young but not sure he's good enough to be the 3rd choice in a team competing for CL. Could do a job in early stages of FA/League Cup tho.

Trust me , I see your point. But I'm not talking about his work-rate, the fact that he wears jewelry or makes a ton of money. I'm solely speaking to his wretched ability in front of the net, the wages attached to that and the need to upgrade at his very position. And he clearly is holding up that process

Agreed. Can't even count how many times he could have scored but missed an absolute sitter. PenPen makes a point but I can remember times watching him when he just would not give a monkeys about playing and stand still for huge portions of the game when another striker would have been chasing the ball down, closing down the space in front of us. I still like him as a player though don't get me wrong I just would like him more if he didn't play for us, that way when he has his lazy days I couldn't give a monkeys knuckle about it.

I agree with what penpen said (he was definitely trying) but I also thought when Defoe was fit again at the end of the season and Ade was still starting there was an extra spring in his step. He has to be the main man.

London-Herald-Titanic-Sinks-101070-748588.jpg

While I agree with Penpen, the thing I don't understand about Ade is I am sure I remember him at the arse rifling in shots adn the net bulging. But for us, it doesn't seem that he can hit the ball directly into the goal from the edge of the penalty box without it bouncing on the way.
How can you be a striker if you cant strike the ball?
Seriously, what has happened to his shooting boots? Where did he lose the ability to strike a ball?

While I agree with Penpen, the thing I don't understand about Ade is I am sure I remember him at the arse rifling in shots adn the net bulging. But for us, it doesn't seem that he can hit the ball directly into the goal from the edge of the penalty box without it bouncing on the way.
How can you be a striker if you cant strike the ball?
Seriously, what has happened to his shooting boots? Where did he lose the ability to strike a ball?

Back
Top Bottom