Summer 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Llorente turned 30 this year, not that old for a football player ... If he took care of his body in the last few years,there are still 2 good seasons in him.

That's the conventional wisdom, yeah. But at the very top level, it doesn't hold true anymore (for strikers). They're being moved on and/or pushed out of the starting line-up before 30.

This is off the top of my head, running through the strikers around Europe's top clubs (which I hope, we all agree is what we're aiming to become apart of), so do correct me if I'm wrong. Apart from a few freaks of nature still making an impact in their late 30's in Italy (Totti and Klose), I can't think of anyone other than Zlatan making any kind of impact past 30. Tevez and Van Persie was getting there, but one's now moved to a smaller league and the other's about to. Oh and Llorente who's about to be moved on. Hopefully not to us though imo.

Is £5-6 million really that cheap though? He will have no re-sale value. Soldado was "experienced" too, so was Fazio. Experience means fuck all in this team. He's too slow for the league, regardless of how tall he is anyway. He would rank right up there as one of the slowest in the league.

Prefer we save the £5-6 million for someone younger. Even if we buy someone at £11 mil, they turn out to be shit so we sell for £6 mil, we still end up in the exact same situation as signing Llorente, with £5 mil down the drain.

As we should. Andros isn't very good, but he's English, so a £7.5m player becomes a £15m player just like that.

Yeh true but what's the value if it starts at £0 and you add he's English?
In all seriousness I think saints were rumoured to have offered 12mill for him when we were trying to sign MS a while back, I didn't think it was true because I cannot believe we would have turned down that sort of money for him. I honestly think when he leaves is and I've said it before his career will probably emulate that of Rohan Ricketts, he's gash.

Can Llorente really be worse than Soldado and Adebayor were for us last year? No, he could be as bad but not worse!

When buying a car you don't want to be thinking, "This can't be worse than my last heap of shit, but it could be just as bad". That doesn't scream ambition or progress....£10 million for someone equally as bad. Wooo.

Still don't see why we don't go in for Charlie Austin - works hard, scores in the league and prob not to big time to be Kane's back up but more than competent to play the 20-30 games he'd be rotated in for!

Austin sure why not, defo useful, Llorente also worth a punt. The notion that a thirty year old player is "past it," makes no sense to me. We would benefit from an experienced CF and a proven prem goal scorer on this basis we could stick with what isn't working and what just doesn't want to work or we could spin the wheel and try again and get in guys who could A) get the job done or B) but in a shift that doesn't involve hoffific misses .....

When buying a car you don't want to be thinking, "This can't be worse than my last heap of shit, but it could be just as bad". That doesn't scream ambition or progress....£10 million for someone equally as bad. Wooo.
Well you'd hope it would be better - he will cost a lot less than £10m, the point is that this is a low risk transfer in regards to everything than a transfer fee.

Considering Llorente's successfulness in Bielsa's set up at Bilbao and its similarity to Pochettino's own philosophy he could be quickly adapted to the team.

When examining targets it is paramount to remember that there are dozens of these kinds of players available for anywhere near the fees we hope to pay, I would have gone for Negredo before he moved to Valencia.

I like Llorente a lot, like Andy Carroll but with a football brain (so not like carroll i suppose). I would go for him for less than 10m but im just a random guy. Not sure the club is keen on another aging striker (though i think llorente will age well with his style of play)

Btw before there was leandro damiao, i would say that llorente was the original damiao, we were always linked with him, apparently he even visited the training ground. Very much a tease

Llorente is slow, he was always slow. So, him having 25, 30 or 35 years is the same. :adethumbup:

Really? Slow off the mark, as most guys his size is, sure. But he's no slower than say Kane. Of course going beyond your peak doesn't hit Llorente as hard as someone like relying heavily on pace, but it still matters in a number of way, including the pace that he does have.

Really? Slow off the mark, as most guys his size is, sure. But he's no slower than say Kane. Of course going beyond your peak doesn't hit Llorente as hard as someone like relying heavily on pace, but it still matters in a number of way, including the pace that he does have.

If I were llorente i would be more worried for losing the warm glow to my skin and thick golden mane (for which i am nicknamed "the lion king") than a yard of pace. What is more threatening a slow bald guy or a slow lion king?:avbshock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom