Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
The manager recommended three CBs and that wee bastard didn’t buy one.
So where is the Kane money going to Levy, your mate who’s in deep shit in USA?????
Get out Levy, sell up to someone who has the ambition.
You can't add up, can you?
VdV is a CB, so that's 1.
The Kane money was spent on....
£16m - Vicario
£40m - Maddison
£40m - VdV
£15m - Veliz
£3m - Philips
£45m - Johnson

Appreciate you haven't got enough fingers for this, so here goes...

£159,000,000 spent
Plus Porro fee £40m
Plus Kulu fee £25m

That's comfortably over £200m
We got (up to) £100m for Kane and £10m for Winks

So went spent the Kane money. And we spent the Winks money. And we spent about £100m more.

As is often the case with us, it's not how much we've spent, it's how we've spent it. Only time will tell tbh

Clearly Ange was happier buying Johnson than any of the CB's available for that £50m.

And I'd trust his opinion more than any poster. Equally Levy has a reputation for being tight, so he's clearly not going to want to spend £50m except to back his manager.
If that is true, then that's the way it should be.
I would also be more ok with it if that's what the manager wants...but I'm not so sure, levy has previous for club signings

Not a good window but people also need to accept how difficult it is and was always going to be for a multitude of reasons.

1) Clubs right now aren't going to forget that we've just receieved a large chunk of money for Kane, and will try to milk us as Levy did to Bayern.

2) We have no Champions League football which is a requirement for most top players, the kind of players we want to be signing.

3) We've had a pretty positive start under Ange but that's all it is as of right now, a start.

There's still some deadwood at the club that needs shifting, the likes of Sanchez, Dier and to a lesser extent Hojberg. But they will all be on big wages and it's not an easy thing to move them on even if you're almost giving them away.

Massively underrated comment

Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

I hate Levy more than anyone here. But even I'm sick of people deducting money spent to "prove" we haven't spent money. That's just plain fucking dumb that is.
Agreed, I don’t know why people feel the need to make up number or descend into conspiracy theories about Levy when there are already so many legitimate reasons to criticize him.

So, if I’m getting you right.
You’re pissed that we signed Maddison over Alex Scott and upset we didn’t pay 40m for Raya and paid more for Johnson than Barnes?

You realize we can’t sign everyone on your list. You might want to cut it down by removing players we weren’t really interested in.
Valid points, but what I was trying to say was that we are still shopping more from the bargain bins than competing with the other big teams with significant finances.

Valid points, but what I was trying to say was that we are still shopping more from the bargain bins than competing with the other big teams with significant finances.
This was a timid window given we have made 100m.
We weren’t getting all the guys on your list and some we weren’t interested in.
I gave up worrying and getting worked up over it many years ago. Far better for my heart health.

Top 6 net spending 23/24 so far:

Chelsea = £197m. Responded to their poor 22/23 season

Woolwich = £167m. Spent big f them

Man UTD = £150m. Normal spending

Spurs = £135m (inc loaners Porro & Kulu, £70m both). Excluding loans became permanent didn't recruit enough where matters to address poor 22/23 season and Kane's departure

Man city = £126m. Steady eddy

Liverpool = £111m. Another steady eddy. £150m plus Salah to Saudia may still happen

Last edited:
This was a timid window given we have made 100m.
We weren’t getting all the guys on your list and some we weren’t interested in.
I gave up worrying and getting worked up over it many years ago. Far better for my heart health.
That's the best attitude. If Johnson is the fit for system Postecoglou believes then you can count this window as a win. I just wish Spurs had ambition that was more in line with their revenue.

you fucking guys make me howl. I wish I could apply this logic to buying a car on hire-purchase.

What’s that Mr bank manager, I’ve overspent? No you see, I’ve had that car on hire for the past two years, so the £15,000 I just spent doesn’t count, I already own the car, so I CAN afford the waffle iron.

We just spent c.£210million on transfers. That’s a fact.

Really? Then why are you counting the total fee to make a point in this comment?

Pretty sure that if I dig long enough I'll find a comment about spending in january where Porro has been included, I just can't be bothered enough.

Arguments like this will never cease as diff. people approach the matter differently.

Lets assume good faith from both sides and that one isn't trying to 'con' the other..... This is why an average annual net spend since the stadium opened is the fairest practical metric for anyone that doesn't want to do full-on accountancy cos-play.

FWIW our avg net since 2019 went UP (again) because of this summer's trf activity.

Spurs (m/euros):
22/23 in 177.9 out 38.7 = 139.2m (not Porro/Kulu inc.)
21/22 in 95.9 out 34.6 = 61.3m
20/21 in 110.50 out 13.3 = 97.2m
19/20 in 150.5 out 64.5 = 86m
= €383.7m (net spend) / Avg per season = €95.92m

23/24 in 248.6 out 112.7 = 135.9m (inc. Porro/Kulu)

New avg (net spend) = €103.92

(Off course you can swap what year you allocate Porro & Kulu, but the avg remains the same.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom