Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Which big exciting players were they?
Well, Clement Lenglet of course, but that just goes without saying. :)

More seriously, and I'm including the entire transfer window (also, as you are right to infer, probably being too liberal with the words "big and exciting"). Here are a number of interesting players Spurs either lost out on or just never bothered with (perhaps because they weren't represented by one of Spurs preferred agent groups).

My point is, how often do Spurs beat out one of the other big clubs for a player? Often times they can't even compete because the players don't want any part of coming to Spurs. And you've got situations like occurred with Luis Diaz where some other Premier League team just decides to step in at the last minute knowing Spurs can't or won't compete.

David Raya (supposedly on verge of signing, made unrealistic offer and lost out)
Pau Torres (discussed previous years, not sure about this year)
Declan Rice (never stood a chance at)
Ansu Fati (discussed, botched, beaten out by-----Brighton)
Sofyan Ambrabat (discussed previous years)
Mousa Diaby (really playing well, but apparently never in Spurs consideration)
Nicolo Zaniola (couldn't get it done previous years)
Alex Scott (outbid by Bournemouth)
Joao Pedro (hasn't met de Zerbi's expectations yet, but has looked good at Brighton in stretches)
Evan Joe Ferguson (never made a serious run at, eventually he'll end up at one of the big spenders)
Nicholas Jackson (can't believe Chelsea got him at 30 million)
Moises Caicedo (granted, what Chelsea paid makes no sense)
Josko Gvardiol (never got past the rumor stage a year or so ago)
Harvey Barnes (apparently a really unrealistic offer was discussed when he might have been available as part of the deal for Maddison)
Mohammed Kudis (don't think I ever heard mentioned)

That is precisely what happened.

But I'd love to hear your hackneyed lies about it, I'm stuck finishing the work I wasn't doing all day today, go right ahead.

Nah, you just get the brush off when you're acting the cunt......Same as last night.

I'm perfectly cordial towards you...... If you can't do the same, you can get fucked.

More seriously, and I'm including the entire transfer window (also, as you are right to infer, probably being too liberal with the words "big and exciting"). Here are a number of interesting players Spurs either lost out on or just never bothered with (perhaps because they weren't represented by one of Spurs preferred agent groups).

My point is, how often do Spurs beat out one of the other big clubs for a player? Often times they can't even compete because the players don't want any part of coming to Spurs. And you've got situations like occurred with Luis Diaz where some other Premier League team just decides to step in at the last minute knowing Spurs can't or won't compete.

David Raya (supposedly on verge of signing, made unrealistic offer and lost out)
Joao Pedro (hasn't met de Zerbi's expectations yet, but has looked good at Brighton in stretches)
Evan Joe Ferguson (never made a serious run at, eventually he'll end up at one of the big spenders)
Harvey Barnes (apparently a really unrealistic offer was discussed when he might have been available as part of the deal for Maddison)
So, if I’m getting you right.
You’re pissed that we signed Maddison over Alex Scott and upset we didn’t pay 40m for Raya and paid more for Johnson than Barnes?

You realize we can’t sign everyone on your list. You might want to cut it down by removing players we weren’t really interested in.

A squad needs variety, it's not bad to have 2 different profiles in Johnson and Kulu at RW.
Agree, but I hope Deki sees more time as an 8 as he's not doing us any favours in this system being stuck on the wing and slowing down the transitions. Can still overlap the RW and play the low cross across the box, or get on the end of one as he did so well against Bournemouth.

Would rather Solomon as depth to Johnson unless we are against a low block.

I’d call this window a 6… we got some quality in but think we needed to do a bit more. Should have upgraded on Sanchez and could have done better getting rid of our deadwood.

It will improve to a 7 if we can flog Ndombele to turkey permanently.

I am fine with Dav as our 4th CB. If we had brought in a decent 3rd CB with good pace I’d say we are in a good position with our CBs.

We haven’t allowed a goal in three matches (Fulham was an own goal). We are good defensively so far, so I think our starting CBs are quite good.

We just need depth.

What premium disco shit are some of you smoking when you say they pocketed the 100 million?

Maddison 40 million
VDV 43 million
Johnson 48 million
Veliz 13 million

Do I need to fill the blackboard here and add it up for yous? Or do you think you can handle this part?

Crying, deluded fuck pots!

You’re forgetting Vicario

More seriously, and I'm including the entire transfer window (also, as you are right to infer, probably being too liberal with the words "big and exciting").

Well you also said "today."...... Which is why asked.

Here are a number of interesting players Spurs either lost out on or just never bothered with (perhaps because they weren't represented by one of Spurs preferred agent groups).

You didn't half expend a lot of effort to write a lot of silly bollocks.......You obviously lost track what you'd previously been saying.

"You watch the transfers in the Premier League today and see players fans are excited about. They aren't coming to Spurs."

Aside from crap about us getting "outbid" or "beaten out" for players eg Scott & Fati; listing random players doesn't mean to say they wouldn't have been interested if we'd approached them.

You can pretty much bin all but 3 of those names: Rice, Gvardiol & Fergusson...........

I don't have the hostility toward Levy others here do, but I would agree he's managed to make Spurs an organization players don't want to come to. Spurs talk about a lot of players, and maybe that's designed to keep fans from becoming even more disenchanted, but we're not fishing in the same waters as other clubs with similar revenue. You watch the transfers in the Premier League today and see players fans are excited about. They aren't coming to Spurs.
I’d actually say the opposite on the player part - part of our issue Is that players don’t want to leave!

Not sure of the entire breakdown but Squawka has us 5th on net spend for the window.

ClubMoney SpentMoney ReceivedNet Spend
1. Chelsea£424.8m£220.1m£204.7m
2. Woolwich£203.5m£78.8m£124.7m
3. Man Utd£167.4m£42.9m£124.5m
4. Bournemouth£109.9m£0£109.9m
5. Tottenham£213.4m£110m£103.4m

I assume they're adding the Porro & Deki deals into the money spent?

Maddison is a great player.

VDV is a step up but certain people believing he is transforming us I’m not sure. Young and quick and decent on the ball. Lots of upside potential

Keeper looks decent if not very good

Johnson will give us pace and hopefully some solid finishing

Had Kane stayed we would have Ben really moving but I know people think he is going to change but I think Richarlison is going to continue to struggle and will soon lose his spot in the 11. He was WAY overpriced and well quite frankly not a footballer we need in this system. I hope to fuck Kulu, Son and Johnson can click.

Perisic can’t be anything but an option

Solomon as well.

After Tuesday I echo the sentiment that we are an injury or two away from meltdown .

Bissouma is critical and fingers crossed he keeps this level

Why can’t we sell players? That’s the real issue. We literally can’t give them away FFS.

I need a response tomorrow to get me off the floor

Oh come the fuck off it. I hate people that have never played professional sport sermonizing about the "proper" mentality of professional athletes. You know fuck all about the inside of a PL dressing room, and neither do I. Stop flattering yourself as FightingIllini FightingIllini , Sports Psychologist.

Maybe he has a burning desire to prove the critics wrong and earn a place in the starting lineup of a 6th? consecutive Spurs manager.
Probably my most disagreed post ever.

I guarantee Eric Dier is selected in the starting lineup of his 6th successive manager at some point this season. Twats can continue to diagree, but it won't change his value to this club over the years. Go look in the mirror.

If you can't register them then they can't be "available for selection".

What constitutes facilities won't be set in stone........ Where there is no due respect (Ndombele definitely); just have him train alone, take his breaks alone and make him do shit running drills and if he won't take a loan or sale in Jan, repeat.

........Fuck paying the cunt 20m only to allow him to go and 'earn' doubel-bubble and rinse the next man too.

How much of a cunt the other two are being? .... Let someone behind the scenes decide and treat them accordingly.
Seems like something a bully would do, very spiteful. Why punish the bloke just because the CEO of his FC is an incompetent fool, and unable to recruit staff to fulfil football operations matters, therefore hindering our ability to move him on? Not his fault Paratici is a criminal and Munn is on gardening leave - root cause for him not leaving is Daniel Levy

Not sure of the entire breakdown but Squawka has us 5th on net spend for the window.

ClubMoney SpentMoney ReceivedNet Spend
1. Chelsea£424.8m£220.1m£204.7m
2. Woolwich£203.5m£78.8m£124.7m
3. Man Utd£167.4m£42.9m£124.5m
4. Bournemouth£109.9m£0£109.9m
5. Tottenham£213.4m£110m£103.4m

I assume they're adding the Porro & Deki deals into the money spent?
Yes they are. Kulu joined 18 months ago so not even the most ardent, partisan Levy supporters would agree with that money spent figure. It’s bullshit. The stadium is not a game changer, neither is the go karting, Lady Gaga or NFL…. We spend the bare minimum and increases revenue is siphoned to new infrastructure projects. When is the bus parade for the new Holiday Inn grand opening?

What proof do you have that they're "can't be arsed" attitude....literally doesn't fit what either of them have shown throughout their decade plus at Spurs.

The Lloris/Dier hate can fuck off. Fickle cunt "fans". Dier has 49 England caps, all earned while he was at Spurs. His recent seasons form has been poor, but this idea that he's a shit wage thief is utter bollocks. Served the club well, even when we slammed the door shut on a move to Manchester he was clearly interested in - put his head down and went back to work, unlike Kane.
Dier is a shit cunt regardless of all that .

Alex Scott the only one I’m bothered that we missed out on.

lloris, dier, ndombele refusing to leave and earn their place at another club shows the mentality of this squad for the last few years.
Too simplistic - probably all sick of being lied to by Levy…. Smoke and mirrors, reneging on promises, lack of leadership etc. two sides to this

Back
Top Bottom