Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
How about dribbling & link up...? The odd creative pass? ....Pressing/tackling?
Nope! Running fast in a straight line it is! Deal with it!

Running Man Abandon Thread GIF by MOODMAN

I posted his EPL highlights from last season somewhere back up the page...... About as reassuring as you're gonna get.
For whatever reason I’ve watched a fair amount of Forest last year.

I saw Johnson play well in some games. I know what he’s about. Or at least what I think he’s about.

If they play him as a speedy #9 that runs behind, I can see the plan, maybe.

If he’s a winger I just don’t get it.

Increasingly looking like Brennan Johnson is happening, so I wish the lad all the best. I hope I got the wrong impression of him.

I saw Johnson play well in some games. I know what he’s about. Or at least what I think he’s about.

Counter-attacking vibes for me........

As I said earlier today..... Once teams start to sit off (which they will), I fear we'll need something different.

You don't get to do a lot of that when you are pushed up high and have the oppo squeezed into their third.
This is my issue too. With Jose or Conte, yes absolutely someone who could pelt 100mph up the wing would have been a godsend both in terms of attacking on the break, and also getting us up the field when under lots of pressure. However under Ange, with a much more possession-based style of football (thank god), how often are we going to really make use of that pace? Is he a particularly intelligent footballer? (Not needed at all by Conte, who really just wanted repetition learning robots with no brain, but crucial for all 11 in Ange's system). Seems a very strange one to me... :/

My fear is that we squeeze the opposition into their half and most of what makes this kid good is no longer relevant.

Perhaps the thinking is that the fear of his pace and a counter attack will keep opposition from trying to counter press and push us back.

I'm really not that opposed to Johnson, but the £50m price tag is really offputting. We're Spurs, not City or Chavs, we can't afford to write that £50m off if he's a dud.

Last edited by a moderator:
My fear is that we squeeze the opposition into their half and most of what makes this kid good is no longer relevant.

Perhaps the thinking is that the fear of his pace and a counter attack will keep opposition from trying to counter press and push us back.

Does he fit the mold of the guys he had on the wings at Celtic? ......Anyone?

I get slight Berahino deal vibes from this Brennan Johnson news. I reckon it’ll go down to the wire and who knows if it happens or not.

If Ange wants him of course we should get him, but for what he’s going to cost I honestly don’t know is he going to give us enough in an attacking sense.

The fact that we seemingly aren’t going for a new striker is as crazy as it is negligent.
Richarlisons first 3 games of the season, as well as his entire history as a Premier League striker should show that he is in no way fit to replace Harry Kane.

Yeah Johnson is a lot better than Gordon. Dont rate Gordon at all and while Johnson isnt a £50m player (probably not £40m) he at least has some good attributes. I'm ok with him signing but he is never going to go on and be some amazing player. He will give us options though and could even mean we could move Kulu central if required.
Some food attributes and not going to be an amazing player yet you’re happy for us to spend £50M on him. Are you crazy! We can’t afford to Siena that much on someone who is gonna be just ok. Look at the £60M spent on our current #9? A player fir that amount has to be a starter.
We of.c should be spending that money on a quality CB and CF not someone who is gonna be just ok!

If we sign Johnson that will mean by one means or another we've done £100m (net) after the Kane money!
Why are you so obsessed with net spend?

And you're counting Porro / Kulu twice :roflmao:

And you're not allowing for any transfer fees we get for outgoing players between now and next weekend.

Jeez. You really are an oddball

Salas and Saka definitely above. Kulusevski at his best is better than the others.

Sterling will be in Saudi next year
Come on you saying his gonna score sane rate as sterling or even Bowen. Apart from few games end 22 season his offered bugger all. Are you seriously saying you’d have him over say Bowen. Who remember cost spam £18M. I’d take Bowen has great pace, reasonably skilful and cab finish.

Hell no. What is his best exactly. A bright patch over 18 months ago? That is 18 months ago. 18 months ago Kante was the best DM in the world leading Chelsea to a CL now he’s a Saudi.

Let me remind you he got 3; yes, THREE, goal contributions in 20 matches post World Cup last year. It’s not just that he was ineffective with end product, he does not take on players well, he is arguably the slowest winger in the entire league, and he slows down our attack so much because he only ever goes left. The one time he went right we scored vs United and he hasn’t done it once since! The goal yesterday was the first good thing he’s done in months.

He does have more potential I’ll live in hope for that. But as a wide 10 type I’d take Bernardo Silva easily over him, and as an Ange winger, Sterling Diaby and Bowen clear him so easily. They’re much more direct and put pressure on the defense on the run. Defenders don’t even blink when Kulu runs at them. He’s slow and not particularly strong.
Good post! Some people are just blind and don’t want see the real picture. Yday in the first half if we had someone who could even jog fast and had decent right foot we would have gone more than one up.

Back
Top Bottom