Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
It‘s not Levy’s fault Hugo seems to have turned down a couple of moves. Dier wants to run down his contract and play overseas. PEH supposedly turned down Fulham. Tanguy had a couple options but is apparently holding out for a CL side, and nobody wants a perpetually broken GLC. Davisson might have been the only one where it looks like maybe we were holding out for a higher fee…maybe.

I can’t blame him too much for a bunch a delusional players willing to just collect a paycheck.

Levy’s biggest mistake wasn’t this window, rather it was the previous 4-5 where he let these problems accumulate. Plain and simple mismanagement of the team. Now I think they truly want to offload but nobody is interested, and he’s afraid of coming across as desperate.
You reap what you sow. Too occupied with the stadium & training facilities. Blew his load on that at the expense of an ailing team whilst being told by the manager that a new house needed new furniture. Assumed Alli, Dier et al would keep producing and remain valuable club assets. Gave them all facilities & deals that are too cosy for them to move on from.
Stuck with too many misfits bought for the manager du jour.

Levy’s biggest mistake wasn’t this window, rather it was the previous 4-5 where he let these problems accumulate. Plain and simple mismanagement of the team. Now I think they truly want to offload but nobody is interested, and he’s afraid of coming across as desperate.
Parataci has been in charge for the last four windows. He had a reputation of being able to bring players in but not being able to get them out.
A lot of this is due to the strength of the EPL. Continental clubs can’t or don’t want to match EPL fees and wages. With plenty of money coming in from Saudi in the next few years, that might change IF the money gets spread about a bit.

We’ve definitely left ourselves short at CB at it would have been nice to sign a bit more of a proven commodity with Kane departing, but I feel alright overall.

Unlike when Kane was here and we were trying to impress to keep him and win immediately because of his age, we’re now at the start of a new project. We’ve done a great job getting younger, all of our key players except Son are 26 and younger. We’ve got a fully new keeper, back line, and midfield.

I’m kind of glad we didn’t panic buy anyone last minute and we can be thoughtful about who we want to bring in at CB. I’d back us to get Gallagher in January to round out our midfield. And then it’ll be a year long assessment of our front three ahead of next summers window. The season will hopefully give us clarity on if Richarlison can be trusted and if Son is in irrevocable decline and then we can act accordingly next summer.

It’s a 4/10 from me. Had fits when we signed Maddison. Being proven wrong. Lovely footballer.
Vicario gives me fits too, but he’s very much better than Hugo. He was giving me night scares.
Players signed last year looking great (Udogie & Sarr)
Selling Kane and not reinforcing further will likely bite us bad.

Relying on the same “squad” members who have let us down so regularly to carry us when we have injuries and suspensions will damage our chances.

I will support Johnson but for me he is way overpriced and a prospect rather than a sure thing.

Let’s hope we get lucky until the next window and jump early but it’s Spurs &, more importantly, it’s Levy.
Hello VDV 50m

Parataci has been in charge for the last four windows. He had a reputation of being able to bring players in but not being able to get them out.
A lot of this is due to the strength of the EPL. Continental clubs can’t or don’t want to match EPL fees and wages. With plenty of money coming in from Saudi in the next few years, that might change IF the money gets spread about a bit.
If Saudi clubs get into the Champions League it will definitely change.

You reap what you sow. Too occupied with the stadium & training facilities. Blew his load on that at the expense of an ailing team whilst being told by the manager that a new house needed new furniture. Assumed Alli, Dier et al would keep producing and remain valuable club assets. Gave them all facilities & deals that are too cosy for them to move on from.
Stuck with too many misfits bought for the manager du jour.
Absolutely. While I don’t really blame him for being unable to shift players, he created this mess through major mismanagement over a period of years.

So the window looks like this :

Vicario - First Team Goalkeeper looking far better than Lloris of the last couple of years,

Van de Ven - First Team LCB. Impressive speed and height amongst attributes he's brought with him. Already looking to form a good partnership with fellow CB Romero and GK Vicario

Maddison - First Team creative AM that we've missed for a couple of seasons, and will contribute 10+ goals a season plus assists.

Johnson - Will probably start as an alternative to Kulusevski and Richarlison, but IMO will become a regular starter certainly by Christmas. Fast two footed and can probably contribute 10_ goals and assists a season

Solomon - Yet to see where he really fits in but clearly able to play as right or left winger, and adds good depth

Veliz - A striker for the future by the looks of it aged 19.

Phillips - A CB for the future, just called up for E u19's and has played a couple of games for Spurs u21's. Tall solid mobile defender.

So that's three good players who have already established themselves in the first team, already, in positions that were a 'must fill' before the window opened and have been, with Johnson likely to become a fourth First Team regular this season, and Solomon .likely to add depth to the bench

Its not that common to bring in 3 first teamers - so that's a big positive.

I think both fans and club would have liked to move on more of our unwanted players - but most of them have declined opportunities to do so which is a shame. And that in turn is why Van de Ven's arrival has meant Dier and Sanchez are now firmly on the bench as back up, but neither were happy to move to a different club and allow Spurs to recruit CB's better suited to Angeball.

And that gives us with this likely squad until 1 January :

GK - Vicario/Forster/Austin
RB - Porro/Royal
CB - Romero/VDV/Sanchez/Dier
LB - Udogie/Davies/Sessegnon
CM 1 - Bissouma/Hojbjerg
CM2 - Sarr/Skipp/Bentancur
CM3 - Maddison/Lo Celso
RW - Kulusevski/Johnson
LW - Son/Perisic/Solomon/Gil
CF - Richarlison

Left out of Registered Squad - Lloris, Whiteman, Ndombele
(although some Windows such as Turkey are still open to receive players)

So the window is certainly worth a good 7 out of 10. for bringing in good first team additions.

We’ve definitely left ourselves short at CB at it would have been nice to sign a bit more of a proven commodity with Kane departing, but I feel alright overall.

Unlike when Kane was here and we were trying to impress to keep him and win immediately because of his age, we’re now at the start of a new project. We’ve done a great job getting younger, all of our key players except Son are 26 and younger.

I’m kind of glad we didn’t panic buy anyone last minute and we can be thoughtful about who we want to bring in at CB. I’d back us to get Gallagher in January to round out our midfield. And then it’ll be a year long assessment of our front three ahead of next summers window. The season will hopefully give us clarity on if Richarlison can be trusted and if Son is in irrevocable decline and then we can act accordingly next summer.

Great, another season that's already a write off.

:ange-facepalm:

Difficulty in getting rid of players has to be down to levy. His rep goes b4 him, no clubs can be bothered dealing with us, much easier to deal with reasonable people, than having to put up with Levy's crap of constantly moving goalposts . FFS Everton can shirt Iwobi and we still have Sanchez, Dier and ndumbelly.

Back
Top Bottom