Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well, Clement Lenglet of course, but that just goes without saying. :)

More seriously, and I'm including the entire transfer window (also, as you are right to infer, probably being too liberal with the words "big and exciting"). Here are a number of interesting players Spurs either lost out on or just never bothered with (perhaps because they weren't represented by one of Spurs preferred agent groups).

My point is, how often do Spurs beat out one of the other big clubs for a player? Often times they can't even compete because the players don't want any part of coming to Spurs. And you've got situations like occurred with Luis Diaz where some other Premier League team just decides to step in at the last minute knowing Spurs can't or won't compete.

David Raya (supposedly on verge of signing, made unrealistic offer and lost out)
Pau Torres (discussed previous years, not sure about this year)
Declan Rice (never stood a chance at)
Ansu Fati (discussed, botched, beaten out by-----Brighton)
Sofyan Ambrabat (discussed previous years)
Mousa Diaby (really playing well, but apparently never in Spurs consideration)
Nicolo Zaniola (couldn't get it done previous years)
Alex Scott (outbid by Bournemouth)
Joao Pedro (hasn't met de Zerbi's expectations yet, but has looked good at Brighton in stretches)
Evan Joe Ferguson (never made a serious run at, eventually he'll end up at one of the big spenders)
Nicholas Jackson (can't believe Chelsea got him at 30 million)
Moises Caicedo (granted, what Chelsea paid makes no sense)
Josko Gvardiol (never got past the rumor stage a year or so ago)
Harvey Barnes (apparently a really unrealistic offer was discussed when he might have been available as part of the deal for Maddison)
Mohammed Kudis (don't think I ever heard mentioned)
Sorry load of shit mate

Best thing about this window?

The demise of SC ITK.

Those jokers took a helluva beating this window.

Ansu Fati being the best of the bunch right at the end.

There really can’t be many mugs left willing to pay for that bollox style anymore

So, before the window we had to get rid of Hugo, Dier, Sanchez, Tanganga, Rodon, Davies, Sessegnon, Reguilon, Perisic, Winks, Hojbjerg, Ndombele and Lo Celso.

We got rid of exactly 4 of them, 3 of which on loan.

Let's give the benefit of the doubt to Sanchez, Perisic and Lo Celso and remove them from the shit list since they did well in pre-season. That still gives us a score of 4/10 (and I'm being generous counting Rodon and Reguilon as outgoings when they've only been loaned out), which means we still have 6 useless twats roaming around in the club doing fuck all, stealing wages and disrupting team harmony.

In the process, we sold our greatest ever goalscorer, and while it was painfully obvious that whatever we spent before his sale was the money that was going to be generated from him, some fans did some incredible mental gymnastics trying to convince themselves and others that we were going to spend on top of what we already did (even if Ange himself did say that we had already done our business knowing Kane was going).

As per usual, Levy has done the absolute minimum to take this club forwards, and there are still people making excuses for this fucking prick. While there are clubs with a net spend of over £100M+ like Bournemouth, we have only managed a net-spend of £30M+ on the back of our worst season in 15 years, because we're too afraid of "doing a Leeds"...

Last edited:
Squad

Goalkeepers

Vicario
Forster
Lloris
Austin

Depth = 9/10
Quality = 6/10

Verdict = Numbers wise fine but Lloris will probably have his contract tore up and Forster is alright but not extremely trustworthy.

Full backs
Porro
Emerson
Udogie
Davies
Sessegnon

Depth = 7/10
Quality = 6.5/10

Verdict = Pretty decent numbers and would have been a 7.5 had Sess not been permanently broken. Quality wise I'm not sold on Davies and think the drop off at LB is pretty damn big if Udogie gets injured but Davies has also proven to be capable of being decent at times. RB is fine imo.

Centre Backs
Romero
VDV
Sanchez
Dier

Depth = 6/10
Quality = 3/10

Verdict = Unbeleivable that we didn't bring In another CB. Sanchez and in particular Dier are HUGE downgrades on the starting centre backs. One injury and we are fucked.

Centre Midfield
Bissouma
Maddison
Bentancur
Sarr
Hojbjerg
Ndombele
Skipp
Lo Celso

Depth = 9.5/10
Quality = 8/10

Verdict = Numbers wise absolutely covered. Quality wise is there as well with a few exceptions. Maddison to Lo Celso drop off is huge and Bentancurs return date is still up in the air. With Hojbjerg staying that will be valuable cover (obviously ndombele isn't really going to be trusted). Yeh can pick holes but first time in years CM positions properly covered.

Forwards
Richarlison
Son
Kulusevski
Johnson
Solomon
Perisic
Veliz
Gil

Depth = 8
Quality = 7

Verdict = A lot up in the air here. Will Richi start scoring? (I think he will), Will Veliz be ready soon? How will Johnson do? Will Son start being effective again(that one im not so sure on tbh)?
I'm quietly confident in general but again I wouldn't be that surprised if it takes a while to gel.

Last edited:
This situation with players basically refusing to move on, even when they know there is no chance for them here. Got me thinking. In what other workplace environment could you do this ?

I have volunteered for some (easy) overtime this morning, Couple of hours drive, hour on site (all being well) and back home for Saturday brunch (is that still a thing)..

So, what I am going to do is email my manager tell him I don't fancy doing the overtime now, even though the customer will have made arrangement for my visit. But, I am still going to take my pay.. I may also not even bother turning up next week. Will let you know how I get on..

Footballers really do live in a completely different working world to the rest of us lot.
Any job with a fixed contract, you either pay them off or they work. They are fulfilling the terms of their contract, training and being available to play. How poor you think they are their in the top 1% of their profession, we wanted them and gave them the terms, we no longer want them but are stuck with it - same everywhere

This situation with players basically refusing to move on, even when they know there is no chance for them here. Got me thinking. In what other workplace environment could you do this ?

I have volunteered for some (easy) overtime this morning, Couple of hours drive, hour on site (all being well) and back home for Saturday brunch (is that still a thing)..

So, what I am going to do is email my manager tell him I don't fancy doing the overtime now, even though the customer will have made arrangement for my visit. But, I am still going to take my pay.. I may also not even bother turning up next week. Will let you know how I get on..

Footballers really do live in a completely different working world to the rest of us lot.
But that is not what the unwanted players are doing
they turn up to train as required but are not picked in the squad

Brilliant logic given we have another window in January to tweak the squad again. Bookmarked this one.

Yup, he’s going to give up £10m a year so Danny Boy can get some money back. I hear they have that kind of relationship.

Were you proposing to drug them, handcuff them and drag them to the airport or do you have photos of the Porto chairman in congress with a donkey and plan to blackmail him to match Dier’s absurd salary?
Iv never heard so many excuses for not being able to sell players. I mean Levybots making excuses for not signing players (we’ll do a leeds yadda yadda yadda) is a given but now we have to be forced to read about how we simply cant sell players. The only club in the PL unable to do so.

Honestly, iv heard it all now. Enough.

What premium disco shit are some of you smoking when you say they pocketed the 100 million?

Maddison 40 million
VDV 43 million
Johnson 48 million
Veliz 13 million

Do I need to fill the blackboard here and add it up for yous? Or do you think you can handle this part?

Crying, deluded fuck pots!
I am not defending L & L transfer dealings but Spurs also had to pay the fees of Porro and Kulu, so that's around £70+m

Yes they are. Kulu joined 18 months ago so not even the most ardent, partisan Levy supporters would agree with that money spent figure. It’s bullshit. The stadium is not a game changer, neither is the go karting, Lady Gaga or NFL…. We spend the bare minimum and increases revenue is siphoned to new infrastructure projects. When is the bus parade for the new Holiday Inn grand opening?
So If you consider;
Deki - £25m
Porro - £39.7m
extract that from the money spent;

ClubMoney SpentMoney ReceivedNet Spend
1. Chelsea£424.8m£220.1m£204.7m
2. Woolwich£203.5m£78.8m£124.7m
3. Man Utd£167.4m£42.9m£124.5m
4. Bournemouth£109.9m£0£109.9m
5. Tottenham£148.7m£110m£38.7m

Which puts us at around 12th on net spend amounts these teams;

Crystal Palace£36m£800k£35.2m
Luton Town£20m£0£20m

So yeah this pretty much confirms the manager hasn't been backed and the window was a bag of shit.

Anchorman Celebrating GIF

Back
Top Bottom