Levy out?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Levy Out?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure. On the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Daniel Levy is the cause for our problems I don't understand why others can't see it. Ask yourself the question, where would we bit if we were let off the chains a little over the last 15 years or so.

When Redknapp worked wonders and we needed a real striker and got rubbish instead.
When we sold Bale and used that money to buy 7 players that only 1 now survives and only 1 was ever any good.
We finished 2nd after buying nobody for 12 months and he went on to buy nobody again for another 6 months.

Its just madness he has been profiting massively and the club is in such a strong financial position now because of the Poch years than ever before. He never budgeted for 2nd and 3rd and regular champ leagues with a finals also, along with massively increased revenue because our brand grew along with it. We budgeted for a team that was regular europa with maybe a champs league appearance, Levy did the stadium plan with the budget of a europa league team in mind. Anything above this was a bonus.

We are a very rich club right now but instead of Levy investing in the squad and giving Poch what he needed, he has now caused an issue where we pay huge fees to mourinho and still need a squad rebuild.

You know what that means? Any rebuild will not be quality players and we are exactly where we started before poch arrived.

We may look ok next year, we may have a few shining players in the team but I would be astonished if we make top 4. We are now in the process of a massive rebuild with limited funds because Levy will not commit. He didnt when we had a real chance of glory and he certainly won't now.

In a few years time I really think we are going to be looking back at the poch years and appreciating just how much of an incredible job he did. We didn't peak in the champs league final, we fell apart for the world to see what the real state of the club was. We had peaked around the time we finished 2nd and decided to not buy anyone.

Levy got lucky with Poch, the emergence of Kane, and the fact the top 4 had to go through significant rebuilds.
The CL run - which involved freakish amounts of luck - was probably a curse insofar as it covered up the cracks which were emerging in the PL form. The defeat also destroyed Poch's self-belief - his almost supernatural belief in destiny - and he hasn't been the same since.
At Tottenham, it seems, every gift comes with a curse.

Levy is at the point now where he really has to deliver. Hes done a great job with the stadium. But hes run out of excuses with player recruitment.

We have lots of money. We generate lots of money. We pay some of the most expensive prices in the world. So now you need to buy some of the best players in the world.

We should be in for people like Fernandes, Haaland, Upemecano. No more excuses. Everyone can see these players are shot.

For those who say Levy is a passionate Spurs fan and is in it for the glory......
Sorry to shatter your dreams

But, it's different here, Levy is a lifelong spurs supporter, he sleeps in spurs pyjamas and sings "Ohhhhh Ledley Ledley" when he takes a shower, he is truly one of our own and LOVES football now.

Why do you think he's got us an Amazon series? He loves the club so much he wants to watch that shit on repeat every night in his bedroom whilst facetiming Joe Lewis on his Yacht which is named "The yid army"

Look mate, fucking ENIC ARE Spurs, they are the life and soul of this club, we wouldn't be anything without them, if they ever leave we might as well just fucking pack up the whole thing and give up because their long term strategy and project is what's going to lead us to TRUE glory, you don't want to do a Leeds do you? Even worse, buy a fucking trophy? We're doing things the right way mate, this obsession with spending needs to stop.

Just #trustENIC or you're a shit supporter.

For the amount of money involved, it comes over as a bad decision and yet another stick for the media to beat us with.
If this had come into effect after the players had agreed to a pay cut, or after more clubs also decided to put their staff on furlough, or when the authorities had made the decision to void the season, then it might have not 'looked' so bad.
I usually think that Levy tries to do the best for the Club, but he has made mistakes - and this is probably the worst.

Bit of a difference in cashing in on a player who wanted to go and as a club being used as a PR process. We will not have a perfect outcome or a perfect world but can we not at least try to have some fucking soul? Trust me Levy isn’t perfect, made plenty of mistakes, I’ve been as fucked of as anyone with him, but all in all I think he has had the best interests of our club as well ash is own business side at the forefront. I don’t expect everyone to agree but people outride slagging ENIC off seem not to see what has happened other clubs who were on our level around 15 years ago.

Agree with a lot of what you are saying.

Critically though I do not believe Levy has THFC’s interests on equal standing to ENIC’s and I am utterly sick of their ownership and champion change. Not that we will get it anytime soon.

I feel the football club has been used to support the wider aims of ENIC. To a degree we have benefited and to a degree we have suffered, but on field success only seems necessary to an extent.

For me, a crucial difference between our clubs owners and other owners has been that their ownership of our club seems to have facilitated them in their major land deals obtained at preferred rates for our owners, at other clubs that’s not, it seems, been the principle aim, with perhaps the exception of West Ham

In our case success on the pitch has resulted in funds from the football side of the business being used for wider non football transactions and that is understandable, but also annoying as winning or seriously looking like your trying to win seems to have been unnecessary.

My fear going forward is that the football club is of much less value then the property / land / stadium income then there would be little to no point in major investment. For example Premier League survival results in ( I think ) 80 million a year, so what does a championship win bring ? Double that maybe but it would require 5 x more investment, so what’s the incentive if your Levy ?

Makes much more sense to try to finish 4th on as tight a budget as possible. That’s the economic argument and why I often feel the brakes were applied when we are / were so close.....

As for where we were 15 years ago, yep I see your point, but where we were when ENIC took over in 2000 was mid table. I would not bet against being in the same situation when they leave and in 19 years, 1 trophy is awful for a club of our standing. And let’s not lose sight of what we became under them ( and Sugar also ) a bit of a joke in the wider scheme of things. In the shadows to Chelsea, Arse etc year on year and that being sort of “accepted” and we morphed into this plucky, slightly skint club that was “punching above our weight”.

In the 19 years prior to ENIC’s arrival we won 3 FA Cups and a UEFA cup, finished in the Top 3 were considered to be one of the “big 5” and were a club who could legitimately claim to big, we were not “Doctor Tottenham” in those days with horrific records against so called “rival clubs”. We were not the club of “Lads, it’s Tottenham”

Even in the mid to late 80’s we would be signing players like Waddle, Gazza, Lineker etc - would we sign Sterling, Hazzard or Aubameyang these days ? Nope. We don’t sign anyone at times and even when we do it’s a buggers muddle far too often. We end up with Frasier Campbell on loan, Clint Dempsey, Mouthino deal breaking down, Dybala breaking down.....

Yes Sugar took us on a path to mid table, but his era lasted 9 years and delivered a trophy too.
And that’s my problem overall with ENIC. They have not really substantially improved us on the pitch so much that they deserve the continued pass on their failures, yes we look “shiny and modern” and “new” but we also have a hint of cheap and failure about us too.

And in our current crisis what’s ENIC got to say about it all? Pretty much nothing. No leadership and that’s how it’s felt for too long. Has the Chairman made us an anchor tennant in our own Stadium ( can we even say it’s ours ? ) who has the £500 million debt, ENIC or THFC - I never feel it’s clear.

I do understand it could be a lot worse and it might get worse, but consider this;

Leicester were 6 points above us when ENIC arrived...... since then Leicester have won the league and are still above us, by around similar margins and 19 years have passed.

Daniel Levi should made a legend by our supporters .
We should build him a statue .
H
I know we haven't won silverware but I really think he gave us the real possibility to do it !
W
From 2016 we made 120% more in revenue ,we finally became bigger financial power than Woolwich , and now we have the power to make the next step and that's why he choose mourinio as our manager (like it or not) he's the biggest winner in the game .

People bash levi as if he's holding us back , they think we are as big as Liverpool , utd or has cash rich owner like city , but in reality we where far far from them until recently .
that's why IMO Daniel is great at his job and deserve all praise from anyone who really love spurs !

Such a legend that you dont know his real name.

Bournmouth 0 Spurs 0

If 67% of you cunts watched that shit show, and still think our shambolic, under-invested mess of a squad is an acceptable return after 20 years, then Stockholm Syndrome is a very real thing indeed within our fan base.

EOPU6wdWAAAEuod

You seem to think net spend has an effect on the quality of a signing.

Is that the case?
We signed 4 players.

One on loan, one was injured but ready now, and two started on the bench at Liverpool and Poch played last years team.

Are you saying if we had a huge net spend, Ndombele and Lo Celso would have started?
You don't get it. Let me explain:

1. Not enough spent on recruiting players for a top PL club.

2. We had a whole 2018/19 season without a single signing. Same season Dembele was sold and not replaced.

3. We had a poor 2019/20 TW. An injured player Sess was purchased. LoCelso brought in on loan last minute not giving enough time to integrate into the squad.

4. We are short of quality players in the squad:
The full backs: Sess if suppose to be injured. Tripps first choice cashed but not replaced.

5. We only have one striker in the team, no Kane backup. Son and Maura are not strikers. Llorente was released but not replaced.

6. The centre backs in Toby and Vert ageing plus uncertain future re contract situation.

7. Eriksen. "We discussed this in his thread so no need to say more"

From the above, you can see the squad has been neglected. Poch asked for players in the summer. Poch asked for early business. Lack of investment in the team, not enough spent on players recruitment. That is why where we are now 12th in the table.

We supporters want the team the club to go forward, we want to win matches and do well on the field. We want trophies.

Enjoy the weekend.

Why is he a greedy cunt? are you jealous of everybody doing better than you? he's taken a shitty mid-table going nowhere business into one of the top ten in Europe ... jealous much?

Yep thats the language you'd expect from a Morris Keston Superfan type, no mistake.

And then there it is, you obsess about business, the rest of us care about a football club.

You're about as Tottenham as the lovechild of Bertie Mee and Charlie George, conceived after a late-night fumble in the North Bank

Pretty sure Joe Lewis's daughter is involved somewhere - Levy's son is a director of another Lewis owned company

I think the club is just going to be passed on to the next generation

Levy himself will probably outsee every other person currently employed by the club
Thanks for ruining my weekend, mate.

You ask this as if they both haven't existed in the realm of football without one another.

We achieved CL football without Poch. Not sure if you remember.

Wasn't that big of a deal, I guess.

During Levy's time, on a permanent basis he's hired the following managers:

Hoddle
Santini
Jol
Ramos
Redknapp
Villas-Boas
Pochettino

All of them bar his first two hires have secured us European competition be it the UEFA Cup, Europa League or Champions League. If it wasn't for a dodgy lasagna and a scandalous decision to play that game with half of a squad down with food poisoning Levy would have 3 managers who would have qualified for Champions League football. 3 out of 7, one of which (Santini) that was only there for a dozen games really is an impressive knock regardless of what people think.

We've qualified for European football 9 seasons in a row and 12 out of the last 13 seasons:

Never in our history have we qualified for European football via domestic achievements like we have during the Levy era. 5 out of his 7 hires have secured us European football via league finishes, something no other Spurs manager has been able to do in the League since either the 1980s or since league place qualifying began. Santini we can pretty much scratch off of that list seeing as he barely lasted a dozen games.

All in all Levy has a decent record with managers he has hired. Over a long period he's been able to muscle us ahead of teams like Chelsea, Man U and Woolwich and whilst we have come up short when it comes to silverware, in all honesty is that something we can really blame the chairman for? His job is to continuously grow the club, to give us healthy looking finances and to hire those he feels can get us to that level. As another poster mentioned the FA Cup, League Cup etc have been dying a slow and painful death for some time and whilst I would absolutely love to win one or the other, money is the lifeblood for us to keep treading water amongst the big boys. We are still in a growth phase if people like it or not, that won't change regardless of calls for his head. Organic growth is slower but more genuine and better for us long term.

A trophy will of course help grow the club further and we are long overdue one butwhen we look at consistent quality within and around the club rising over time I think Levy has done more good than bad when we consider that we were always regarded as a Cup team due to our inconsistent league form and league places these days sadly are king.

Offer me top 4 again for the next 2-3 seasons running and I'd take it. Not so much because of the success it brings but more because of the frailties it would generate amongst our rivals.

People say qualifying for Europe isn't that big an achievement etc. Apart from Leicesters fairytale league win a few seasons back, the last team to finish in the top 4 who aren't regarded as one of the big 6 was Everton 15 years ago. To put that into context the golden boot winner that season was Thierry Henry:

For us to have musclesd in so consistently, whilst building a £1bn stadium and whilst keeping our finances from going beserk should be applauded. A trophy would have been nice but long term Levy has achieved everything he could apart from a piece of silverware. I know it is important but there really ain't no more he could have done.

It used to be called the big 4. Man City made it a big 5 through the funds of one of the richest men in the world with no care for money. We mad early it a big 6 through grit and hard graft all whilst keeping to a practical and right business model which sees us grow of fine the field and financially year on year. That is a huge achievement no other teams in the league have been able to surpass or muscle in on. No wonder 4 in every 5 Tottenham fans are happy to continue with him.

Last edited:
Summer 2018. We become the first top flight club Ever to invest £0 in a Summer transfer window.

January 2019. We back it up by investing £0 again then have the gall to announce World Record Smashing profits.

Jump forwards just11 months, gentleman, and we have our worst points tally on New years day since 2008, minus the most over achieving manager in a generation and a squad that looks tired, disinterested and unmotivated.

Can we all now just stop the pretence and the bullshit and accept the problem wasn't Pocchetino, the problem isnt Mourinho , and the buck stops firmly with the owners and their priorities.

The shit is trickling down from the top.

We need new owners, just read Joses comments on our transfer policy and it got me thinking, why the fuck are we sitting here just happy to accept owners who aren't willing to go out and be ambitious?

It's our football club, the supporters, we fund it, why are we so accepting of them running us this way? Because of the stadium? The thing they built to make ludicrous amounts of money for their business?

I want owners who will actually take us places, who respect the fans, make us competitive in the transfer market and above all else, focus on winning trophies for this football club.

I couldn't give a toss about ENIC and their goals of cracking the American market and developing property, that's their business but it isn't football and it isn't spurs, nothing is going to change unless they completely change the way they operate (highly doubtful) or we get new owners.

Back
Top Bottom