Levy out?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Levy Out?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure. On the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
I like your maths John, you've turned 18% into 40% within just a sentence.

giphy.gif

The question I have to ask is;

Would Levy cope without Poch and would Poch cope without Levy.

I believe the answers are no and yes.
You ask this as if they both haven't existed in the realm of football without one another.

We achieved CL football without Poch. Not sure if you remember.

Wasn't that big of a deal, I guess.

That’s something of an ultra long winded post you did there mate, and although I like and respect your stance on doing it the right way- I don’t live in the dream land that you clearly do. I’m a Yid out of north Lambeth and I follow with avid frustration two local south London clubs as well as my bloodline club - Spurs.

If you think that Tottenham can do it - your so called right way - I suspect you’d say the same regarding Dulwich Hamlet - You ARE talking BOLLOCKS!
It is being done the right way (or at least it’s building from the ground up if you like) if you ever care to look at the phases of the build then you can see how it is developing....

Approx timeframes here in 5 year blocks:

2001-05: Inconsistent mid table club.
2006-10: Uefa cup regulars and knocking on the top 4 door.
2011-15: Broke into the top 4 several times but couldn’t sustain a consistent presence.
2015-19: 5 consistent top 4 finishes.
2020-2024: Unknown to date but the players we are now looking for are players of the highest quality we can possibly find (times have changed yeah?)

So every 5 years or so we move in a level, the facts don’t lie, and that’s why I cut Levy as much slack as I have. Sure we could sell and buy our way to the top in theory, but where’s the satisfaction in that plastic victory?

As for your Dulwich Hamlet I cant really say.

It is being done the right way (or at least it’s building from the ground up if you like) if you ever care to look at the phases of the build then you can see how it is developing....

2011-15: Broke into the top 4 several times but couldn’t sustain a consistent presence.
2020-2024: Unknown to date but the players we are now looking for are players of the highest quality we can possibly find (times have changed yeah?)

So every 5 years or so we move in a level, the facts don’t lie, and that’s why I cut Levy as much slack as I have. Sure we could sell and buy our way to the top in theory, but where’s the satisfaction in that plastic victory?

That's a good post.

If there was one person to miss my sense of sarcasm, it had to be you, didn't it.

:pocheyes:

Of course I'm not nuetral ya fooking goof.
But the fact I posted the poll in response to the concurrent Poch out poll still stands
You switch between serious and joking whenever the convo seems to be running away from you.

My bad.

83 now lad.

Don't see how anyone can deny this.

1 trophy.

No club will ever achieve consistent champions league qualification, or indeed regular premier league titles without “ buying their way” to success. It started with the Russian at Chelsea and continues to day in Manchester. Your so called “right way” is nothing but a fairy tale.

When did Mr. Levy discuss his five year building blocks with you and where will we be five years from now? Nonsense - if he wasn’t the meddling fucker that he clearly is we would be European champions today!

Levy

Positives:

- Stabilised our financial position.
- Helped drive wonderful infrastructure development, best in the land.
- Gradual move up the footballing chain while controlling wages with low investment model (essentially having to work under strict Joe Lewis budget) and achieving very good results.

Negatives

- poor trophy record.
- transfer model does sometimes look like it undermines the manager. Not selling players because price not meet or not meeting the price. When the team is close to glory we always seem to fall short irrespective of manager, combination of bad luck but also not strengthening at the required time IMO.

I’d probably give him a good 8/10.

There is no question in my view this model has worked best under a manager like Poch and without him these last four years it could have gone tits up a bit with the strain of the stadium and budget. In the new reality post stadium I believe for Levy to continue he will need to adapt his style in the transfer market if we are to go to the next level just as Poch will need to adapt his management style. It will be interesting to watch.

You ask this as if they both haven't existed in the realm of football without one another.

We achieved CL football without Poch. Not sure if you remember.

Wasn't that big of a deal, I guess.

During Levy's time, on a permanent basis he's hired the following managers:

Hoddle
Santini
Jol
Ramos
Redknapp
Villas-Boas
Pochettino

All of them bar his first two hires have secured us European competition be it the UEFA Cup, Europa League or Champions League. If it wasn't for a dodgy lasagna and a scandalous decision to play that game with half of a squad down with food poisoning Levy would have 3 managers who would have qualified for Champions League football. 3 out of 7, one of which (Santini) that was only there for a dozen games really is an impressive knock regardless of what people think.

We've qualified for European football 9 seasons in a row and 12 out of the last 13 seasons:

Never in our history have we qualified for European football via domestic achievements like we have during the Levy era. 5 out of his 7 hires have secured us European football via league finishes, something no other Spurs manager has been able to do in the League since either the 1980s or since league place qualifying began. Santini we can pretty much scratch off of that list seeing as he barely lasted a dozen games.

All in all Levy has a decent record with managers he has hired. Over a long period he's been able to muscle us ahead of teams like Chelsea, Man U and Woolwich and whilst we have come up short when it comes to silverware, in all honesty is that something we can really blame the chairman for? His job is to continuously grow the club, to give us healthy looking finances and to hire those he feels can get us to that level. As another poster mentioned the FA Cup, League Cup etc have been dying a slow and painful death for some time and whilst I would absolutely love to win one or the other, money is the lifeblood for us to keep treading water amongst the big boys. We are still in a growth phase if people like it or not, that won't change regardless of calls for his head. Organic growth is slower but more genuine and better for us long term.

A trophy will of course help grow the club further and we are long overdue one butwhen we look at consistent quality within and around the club rising over time I think Levy has done more good than bad when we consider that we were always regarded as a Cup team due to our inconsistent league form and league places these days sadly are king.

Offer me top 4 again for the next 2-3 seasons running and I'd take it. Not so much because of the success it brings but more because of the frailties it would generate amongst our rivals.

People say qualifying for Europe isn't that big an achievement etc. Apart from Leicesters fairytale league win a few seasons back, the last team to finish in the top 4 who aren't regarded as one of the big 6 was Everton 15 years ago. To put that into context the golden boot winner that season was Thierry Henry:

For us to have musclesd in so consistently, whilst building a £1bn stadium and whilst keeping our finances from going beserk should be applauded. A trophy would have been nice but long term Levy has achieved everything he could apart from a piece of silverware. I know it is important but there really ain't no more he could have done.

It used to be called the big 4. Man City made it a big 5 through the funds of one of the richest men in the world with no care for money. We mad early it a big 6 through grit and hard graft all whilst keeping to a practical and right business model which sees us grow of fine the field and financially year on year. That is a huge achievement no other teams in the league have been able to surpass or muscle in on. No wonder 4 in every 5 Tottenham fans are happy to continue with him.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom