In search of Mourinho's successor.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't wanna get my hopes up re Naglesmann but fuck it, I'm in!

Wilkommen Julian!

chevy chase dancing GIF

Last edited:
We just had an in depth discussion about Son in another thread. As much as some losers want to try and spin a narrative that all I do is talk Jose I talk about a ton of other things on here as well.
Yes, you're reasonable when talking about Son, and other topics. But when you start analysing Mourinho, the wheels totally come off and the Igula train derails into crazy town.

You've claimed Southampton would get relegated and be 14th in the Championship if Jose took over. You've said Jose doesn't like it when players 'attempt to score'. You said he wants the 'opposite of Bale and Reguilon' despite the fact they're clearly in his first XI.

Mourinho is certainly not perfect.
But your critiques are becoming so stupid that no rational person would even contemplate writing this stuff.

And I mean it.

This is an appointment Levy had hoped he would not have had to consider.

There will be and is much talk already about Pochettino having been let down, shafted or whatever. I think some of that is right, especially in that nonsense of no transfers the season before last.

In saying that Pochettino was then backed to a large degree this summer and we have been shambolic.

Hence the early call to Mourinho, first to steady and give us some discipline and pride (here comes the rollercoaster) and then to see what he can do as he approaches his 60th year.

Beyond that and remember the man Mourinho is he will move on. This is 2/3 years maximum.

So Levy's biggest job is actually identifying who comes next and what he has bought himself is time in which to do that.

From Pochettino it had to be a proven winner. The next appointment will cast a wider net.

Last edited:
It’s funny cause most people wanted van Gaal back in 2014 and were sure he’s the right man to take us forward. I remember a lot of the fans weren’t very fussed about Pochettino for various reasons. If anything it just shows that we haven’t got much of a clue and sometimes these appointments are a gamble.

I’m ready to push the reset button again. I would be so happy playing Europa league for the next few years if we had a young progressive manager with exciting ideas that played an aggressive style of football. A clear vision with something to build towards.

I was ecstatic with Poch’s first season even when we missed out on CL. I was happy going in to the following season thinking we would just finish top 6 again, was not expecting to be in a title race.

I just want an identity back. We don’t need to be perfect to start off with, but we have to be building towards something.

Jose has been a terrible appointment, I hope levy has the balls to pull the trigger.

Yeah, I'm the same.

I loved the early Poch years of just not really being sure of what to expect but very excited at the prospect of a young coach implementing his style on us and someone who was willing to give youngsters a chance.

His first season was honestly one of my favourites. At times we looked absolutely poor but by the end of the season, despite some harsh losses, you could sort of see we were getting there. Players who hadn't had much luck in previous years (Chadli, Lamela, Rose) were starting to flourish abit - I'll never forget that Chelsea 5-3 home win or the 2-1 North London Derby win and just HOW good we really were.

Then the next 2 seasons came.

Obviously we were helped out by the big clubs all turning a bit shit for a while. Wenger clearly declining, post-Ferguson era, City deciding to tell a manager half way through a season he's fucking off, Liverpool coming to the end of Rogers reign and Klopp inheriting an awful squad etc.

But it was great - I loved those years.

And whilst I loved being near the top etc - I sort of love those seasons where we have low expectations. Because to be honest, ever since I've had high expectations, I've fallen more and more out of love with football and found myself being more critical than I would when we were rising.

I'm all for Europa League (or even no Europe next season) and going into it thinking we'll barely get top 6, having no pressure on us - but I'm not sure how I feel going into that sort of season with Mourinho.

Is it just me who isn't part of the Hasenhuttl group wank?

I'm thinking back to when we demolished them at their place, where his lack of tactical nous let us score basically the same goal five times over. Imagine the scenes on here if he did that with us against a big rival.

Oh and, it's a bit ironic that some who pilloried Pochettino for not having won anything are the same that are now bigging up a manager who has.. errrr... won nothing.

Last edited:
I'd have Harry back. The best I've seen Spurs play was under him and Poch, but he had far inferior players.
You're joking mate surely. Modric, Bale, Van der Vaart, even Lennon and Hudd would breeze into this team. Ledley on 1 leg is a better defender than Dier. Keane, Crouch, Defoe etc all walk into this team ahead of Vinicius.

People over-rate our current squad massively.

You lot need to stop looking to the past and look forward. Young innovative coach, with a hungry young group playing an enjoyable brand of football. That’s how poch pushed the club Forward and we need to do it again.

jose Redknapp, Bale, eriksen... I’ve had it up to here with nostalgic bullshit.

Back
Top Bottom