In search of Mourinho's successor.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’m ready to push the reset button again. I would be so happy playing Europa league for the next few years if we had a young progressive manager with exciting ideas that played an aggressive style of football. A clear vision with something to build towards.

I was ecstatic with Poch’s first season even when we missed out on CL. I was happy going in to the following season thinking we would just finish top 6 again, was not expecting to be in a title race.

I just want an identity back. We don’t need to be perfect to start off with, but we have to be building towards something.

Jose has been a terrible appointment, I hope levy has the balls to pull the trigger.

I get all of that. On a surface level I agree with your post.

But there is something about Nagelsmann that rubs me the wrong way. I cannot really explain it. He has his teams playing fun football and is a young up and comer. He should tick all the right boxes. But whenever I see him and hear him speak to the press and such I always come out of it with the words "what a cunt" in my head.

If he ended up at Spurs somehow I would of course have to go along with it. But there's something about him that makes me dislike him that I cannot really put my finger on.
My guess is it's probably that you have a deep-rooted dislike of his dress sense.............

r733480_864x1296_2-3.jpg

I don’t think Poch had a better squad at all. He had Font & Lovren as CB’s, he made people talk about them as the best in the League!! He had Schniderlin a League 2 player playing out of his skin, getting a mega move to Man U, where he promptly looked like a League 2 player as did Lovren and Font.

Again, I think he’s a fantastic coach but Tottenham have moved on, we don’t need to take the risk on him now, he could go to Leicester, Everton, ( a level where we used to be) if he continues to do great things there we now have the muscle to move in and get him if we really wanted to.

For a parallel, that’s why (if press is to be believed) we are linked with Nagelsmann, one of Europe’s highest rated modern coaches.

Pochettino definitely had a better squad at Southampton than Potter has at Brighton. No questions about it.

I can't think of a single Brighton player who gets in their line up - perhaps Bissouma and Lamptey. And even then, Clyne was excellent under Pochettino. Him and Shaw were two of the best performing full backs in the country.

Yes, we can look back in hindsight and say Lovren and Schneiderlin are both poor and were made to look better in his system - but it still worked. And both still forged Premier League careers beyond that Southamton team at far bigger clubs.

Potter for me would be a similar risk to Pochettino in 2014.

BUT

We are a much bigger club now than we were in 2014 - so Nagelsman would have to be the choice. I don't think we can really afford to take a risk with a manager in the second half of the Premier League table when we're trying to get onto the next level.

Even if I do feel Potter would do great things here.

Been reading the managerial debates and haven’t changed my mind. Want Nagelsmann, Ten Hag or Potter. I want decent football back for next season when the stadium opens even if we come 6-7th in the league I want to be entertained.

Genuinely don't care.

If we're going to be fucking shit, I'd much rather see us play some sort of exciting football alongside it.

Agreed. The last 3 managers we appointed because they were available AVB, Sherwood and Mourinho. We need to appoint someone that suits the club and negative managers just don't. Terry Neill, Graham, Santini, AVB, Mourinho. Even Gerry Francis after his first 12 months. There is just something in our club that rejects them like a bloody virus.
Part of the problem is we get ahead of our station.
Jol and Redknapp should never have been sacked, but we thought we were Billy Big Club.
Some will argue for Poch too but for me he wasn’t far off from what we saw the other night, and had clearly lost the players and if we’re honest, he had fallen out of love with it here. He had to go.

Jose I’ve defended, but it’s tested my patience and I was fuming when I saw Son as a striker and Vinny benched despite Kane’s injury.
It’s not even like Kane has deserved to play 90 minutes every week so why the fuck Vinny can’t start when Kane’s out is beyond me.

One minute you couldn’t get Moura off the pitch, the next he’s dropped and we’ve got fucking Sissoko and Davies as wingers. Hahahahahahaha

The next manager simply needs to play square pegs in square holes.
Football isn’t complicated unless you make it so.

And to be fair, that was the only acceptable response after Chelski. Better against West Brom and an aggressive line up against Man City.

I don't really blame him for City. He picked an attacking line up but they just had too much everywhere for us which is a worry but also not a worry when you look at the spend.

I agree with you that front foot is not really his style and is extremely unlikely to shape our "style".

It has been said many times. If he brings trophies then everyone will "accept" the manner in which it's done. I don't believe that. I don't accept that.

Do Harry Kane's comments count as a "vote of confidence"
:kanehand:
Having watched even his good Chelsea and Madrid side and watched him on the sideline closely, I honestly don't think he has a fucking clue how to coach attacking football and he never has. He delegate's attacking movement to a proxy on the pitch that effectively defines the pattern: Deco, Cole,Sniejder, Fabregas, Mata. All way more experienced than the only lad we have who can do this (N'dombele ) Kane has also been forced backwards to give a hand. Then he obsessively drills the defence and waits for his oponents to make an error. The modern game is way more drilled in both the attacking and defensive thirds, his act is old and has been left behind. Apologies in advance to his followers I don't like hurting you.

I think it could be a lot worse. If I were a player, I’d be thinking the guy in charge has a better chance of pulling us out of this, than a glorified PE teacher like Eddie Howe would.

And if we do make the change and get in anyone that is a lesser manager in my mind and that in turn leads to an uplift in performance, I’d have some serious questions for the players.

The guy in charge has shown absolutely nothing to indicate he can pull this out at all.

A glorified PE teacher would be a massive upgrade on the useless cunt we currently have.

There is nothing crazy about pointing out the legitimate criticisms of what can only be considered a complete disaster of a manager for us.

You can try to spin it all you want but the results are right there to see and it is pure crap.
These must be trying times for you, what with us scoring 13 goals and only conceding one in our past four games.

tenor.gif

Quite a few people are excited about Potter.

Im not convinced. Brighton are 16th in the table which is decent, but not necessarily better or worse than expectations.

It’s a bit of a false one though. If they had 2, maybe even one player who could finish they would be at least top half if not near or above us. They out play almost everyone and create tons of chances with a well coached system and good style of play, like Poch at Saints but with much worse players.

The potential with Potter is good and his performance in Sweden taking a nobody team into Europe was outstanding. He will manage a big club whether it be us or someone else.

Back
Top Bottom