In search of Mourinho's successor.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What's this Geezer achieved then. And are we likely to be battling the likes of Bayer Munich, Man utd, or any of the other "Super 12" for his services?

I guess if you want Spurs to be some kind of beefed up Sothampton / Brighton like training academy to feed the big boys then this could be yer man.

If you want Spurs to start finally winning stuff and attracting top players I don't quite see the lure of this Potter bloke.

We already had Poch who came from Saints and he didn’t do to badly. This guy in Sweden took a club from the lower league into their top division and then got them in the Europa League, imagine someone doing that here with Shrewsbury, it would be a remarkable achievement and they even beat some half decent sides in the EL.

he has gotten a let’s be kind average team of players at Brighton playing some of the best football in the league with players who look very well coached, they attack as a team and defend as a team. The only reason they ain’t in the top half or top 6 is that they have some of the worst finishers I have seen in the prem. a good striker or two and they would do really well next season.

This is remarkably similar to Poch, a manager who improves individuals and teams, plays modern attacking football, does more than he should with the players he has and seems to act with class.

We may not get him but it would be foolish not to consider someone like this.

What a tough decision nagelsman had. Work with levy or for Bayern

Thinking Hard GIF by Swisscom

I don’t agree. Poch on numerous occasions alluded to the reality that he required fresh blood and obviously a large purse. He was sacked because sufficient funds for his taking things further were not available; and his being at loggerheads was very public.

In essence, he was saying his team is not good enough- that he had taken them as far as he could.... no wonder he lost the dressing room. You say he had the tools and didn’t use them- I say he requested more tools and was denied them!

Pretty much.

Pochettino followed Bielsa’s model of building a youthful, pacy, and powerful team that will press relentlessly then get burnt out after two or three years. That worked very well for two-three years, then we hit a wall. He brought in some young players to try and maintain the continuity, but when it didn’t gel he tried adapting an ageing team by using the diamond, and we know how well that went.

I don’t really blame any of the parties involved. Levy couldn’t be expected to bankroll wholesale squad upgrades, and Pochettino was operating (and struggling) in uncharted waters in his managerial career. But yes, he no longer has the tools and was denied replacements.

50/50 split right down the middle for me
He’ll get us the Carabou, but but seems to mix good decisions with absurd ones.

Players take half the blame and the manager the rest, but you can’t sell 14 players, so it’s Jose’s head on the block

Whoever comes in next won’t do a thing with this squad, that’s something I can hold my hands to regarding Poch.

He made his mistakes though just like Jose is, and done it with players in peak form.
Jose hasn’t had that, bar Kane, Ndombele and Son all at once for about 12wks

And on this point I think posters on here must understand that in all likelihood had Mourinho had the same players Pochettino had 4 or 5 years ago he would have won something..

It's the trickery of timing but I still maintain Mourinho is not adding the value that would have been expected and that is the massive disappointment.

I agree. Everyone laughed at Harry Redknapp's approach (not that I am saying he is tactically like for like with Nagelsmann, ha ha!) but getting players happy, playing with a smile on their face and expressing their qualities as individuals really does strike me (non-footballer) as being vital. We've recently seen how acrimony and berating individuals or freezing out make things go toxic very quickly. If I was a big name player not sure I would want to be coming in every day to that sort of environment. Like all of us I'm sure they want to enjoy their jobs.

in Fairness to Redknapp he knew himself, if you have intelligent players (and he did in guys like Modric, VDV. Gallas, Parker, etc) they can make their own decisions on the pitch.

as Harry once said "You don't tell Luka Mod-rick ow to play football!"

and he's right.

Last edited:
It's encouraging that it's appearing in a number of different articles/sources that there's an interest from the club in Naglesmann.

it's all about timing, like Chelsea with Tuchel. if United nosedive between now and the end of the season they'll be circling like vultures too.

I'd hope we've already made contact with him advising him we'll be in touch in the summer.

Last edited:
Love Poch and always will. Doesn't mean it wasn't right for him to go when he did.
Shame he wasn't backed properly when he needed to be as, I know, many of us have already said countless times.

I doubt we will reach those heights again for some time. God bless you Poch, I hope you win the treble (you deserve it).

My only worry about Naglesmann

In some big games he hasn't got his tactics right

Also in the Liverpool game it was a very bizarre starting lineup with like 5 defenders and 5 midfielders.
His tactical setups can be sometimes very bizarre.

I think as good as we think he is , he would need a bit of time and I'm sure for the first few months he'll make mistakes but hopefully he would be there for the long term

Pochettino lost to Tim Sherwood twice before we appointed him.

He didn't turn out too badly.

Naglesmann
Potter
Ten Haag

Anyone who plays modern attacking football, can develop players and doesn’t need a giant check book.
Ten Hag's style would turn Tottenham into the neutral's favourites. Attacking, free flowing and attractive football.

Sign me up.

Back
Top Bottom