In search of Mourinho's successor.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well if we had capitalised on our "success" by winning things and using our resources to cement ourselves as a top club we would have nothing to worry about. Unfortunately our approach seems to be to do the bare minimum to maintain the status quo.

Leicester have spent well beyond their means but won a title in the process and are now continuing to push on.
Leicester have stumbled since the title but BR is building a good side with shrews and affordable scouting. However, They rely heavily on Vardy and at 34 he’s done well to keep relatively fit. Replacing him will be a struggle and striker is probably the hardest position to fill. Expect them to struggle for goals when he finally is on the downwards slope (hopefully soon).

It's encouraging that it's appearing in a number of different articles/sources that there's an interest from the club in Naglesmann.

it's all about timing, like Chelsea with Tuchel. if United nosedive between now and the end of the season they'll be circling like vultures too.

I'd hope we've already made contact with him advising him we'll be in touch in the summer.

Last edited:
It's encouraging that it's appearing in a number of different articles/sources that there's an interest form the club in Naglesmann.

it's all about timing, like Chelsea with Tuchel. if United nosedive between now and the end of the season they'll be circling like vultures too.

I'd hope we've already made contact with him advising him we'll be in touch in the summer.

I love the football he plays, best around in my opinion. He would at least get bums of seats, well when we can get back to the stadium.

Pep wins the title, United finish second, Real Madrid don’t come calling and naglesmann decides he’s had enough of Leipzig.

Those conditions would probably all have to be met for us to even stand a chance of getting him. It’s a tough ask but would be a lovely coup if we did.

It's encouraging that it's appearing in a number of different articles/sources that there's an interest form the club in Naglesmann.

I can easily see Klopp leaving at the end of the season to be replaced by Nagelsmann. Really can't see him ending up here for some reason.

Goodish news the Naggelsmanns tattle is real but he has a long list of wants and assurances and an even longer list of suitors . Still it gives me some comfort as we hurtle toward our inevitable end, and Levy overcomes his man crush...
Yup loads of massive clubs will be all over him. He's spoken very positively about Liverpool over and over again and we know Klopp will be out there soon, so it seems he's keen on joining Liverpool.

Just to add I won't be too gutted if we miss out as long as we move in a progressive direction.

I can easily see Klopp leaving at the end of the season to be replaced by Nagelsmann. Really can't see him ending up here for some reason.
I said the same thing about N'dombele he was courted by the biggest clubs in the world. I remember him (Nagglesmann) being a tad awe struck so lets all dream...

Nagelsmann is just the latest in visitors to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium to comment on how impressive the ground is and the atmosphere produced within.

On the Liverpool thing I think he'd be daft to go there as a German coach he'd continually stalked by the ghost of Klopp.

I said the same thing about N'dombele he was courted by the biggest clubs in the world. I remember him (Nagglesmann) being a tad awe struck so lets all dream...

Nagelsmann is just the latest in visitors to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium to comment on how impressive the ground is and the atmosphere produced within.

On the Liverpool thing I think he'd be daft to go there as a German coach he'd continually stalked by the ghost of Klopp.
I also think people are jumping the gun, Klopp will definitely see out his contract.

That’s generally been my biggest criticism of Levy every time we are in position we do nothing. When we came 2nd a few extra players we could have maintained our growth and also under Redknapp a few extra top quality players and we could have easily had a title challenge.

I think with Levy it’s top 4 and all is well.
We sacked Poch after a CL final and 4th though
Of course he want more

Here's a name that has sort of snuck beneath the radar.

Pellegrino Matarazzo. Currently at Stuttgart. American-Italian that played almost his entire pro career in Germany. Did his badges with Nagelsmann and was his assistant at Hoffenheim as well as youth coach. Been the head coach at Stuttgart since 2019 and brought them back up to the Bundesliga and currently have them sitting in 10th quite comfortably.

He ticks a lot of boxes that I think spurs fans are looking for. Attacking football, faith in young talents and being able to develop them etc. And his contract is only until 2022 so he would probably be financially doable as well.

He is getting a lot of praise so let's grab him before he catches too much interest.

A shame that manager speculation has become maybe the most exciting part of our season.

I don't think Mourinho's job rests on the West Ham game this weekend, and unless we were to lose that in embarrassing fashion he'll be in charge for the easier fixtures to come. With Lo Celso and Reguilon back, I'd expect us to do just about well enough in the league and Europa for him not to be sacked before summer. Winning Europa would obviously keep him in the job. Should be interesting to follow, even if the football isn't.

Nagelsmann is no doubt the dream option. Think we could contend for a PL in the next 2/3 years if he took on the challenge and was backed decently, his teams have been really interesting to watch and despite recent negativity I do think we have the bones of a top team once you sort out our centre backs.

So many things to manage, between Kane and Son maybe eyeing greener pastures, manager situation, coronavirus obliterating clubs financial planning and the squad needing about 5/6 players in and 5/6 out. Factor in how much you trust the football-related decision making of Levy/Hitchens and it's a recipe for one hell of a headache. BIG few months for the near future of the club.

Nosure on Nagelsmann.
His sartorial choices are horrendous, need to stipulate he reigns that in, send him down Saville Row for a sunlike, traditional 2 piece suit

In all seriousness, we could do with poaching some of their football directors too

Yup loads of massive clubs will be all over him. He's spoken very positively about Liverpool over and over again and we know Klopp will be out there soon, so it seems he's keen on joining Liverpool.

Just to add I won't be too gutted if we miss out as long as we move in a progressive direction.

Why do we know Klopp will be out there soon?

I want.

Ralf Rangnick talks to Jonathan Northcroft about how his methods brushed off on some of the biggest names in European football such as Jürgen Klopp and Thomas Tuchel​

The temperature is -10C in Leipzig and snow, 12 inches thick, carpets his neighbourhood. Such conditions take Ralf Rangnick back to an encounter that shaped modern football.

It was 1984 and the amateurs he coached, Viktoria Backnang, played Dynamo Kiev, who were training in Germany. Rangnick shovelled snow off Backnang’s pitch to get the game on. In it, “I started to count Dynamo’s players, I felt they must have two or three more, they were pressing us all over the place.”

Valery Lobanovsky, Dynamo’s great coach, invited Rangnick to watch practice, “and it was obvious the way they played was no coincidence”. It sparked ideas that Rangnick would develop into principles that define how the game is played today, involving ball-orientated marking, group pressing, and instant, intense attacking. Ridiculed as “the football professor” by Germany’s old school in the 1990s, it is no exaggeration to say that, now, the charismatic 62-year-old is the most influential coach in his sport. Jürgen Klopp evolved gegenpressing in tandem with Rangnick refining his philosophy when they were rivals and friends in Bundesliga II and after a unique career during which he coached Schalke to the Champions League semi-finals, Hoffenheim from village side to Bundesliga force, and took RB Leipzig from division four to competing for German and European titles. Rangnick disciples are everywhere.

The Bundesliga top four last weekend included Leipzig (Julian Nagelsmann), Wolfsburg (Oliver Glasner) and Eintracht Frankfurt (Adi Hütter) — all led by coaches Rangnick developed while director of football for Red Bull’s clubs. Bayern Munich’s tactical brain, the assistant coach Danny Röhl, is a Rangnick protégé and Manchester City’s Champions League opponents, Borussia Mönchengladbach, are coached by another, Marco Rose.
Outside Germany, a network of former Rangnick players, coaches, assistants, scouts and analysts spreads. Included are the PSV Eindhoven manager, Roger Schmidt, Woolwich’s Per Mertesacker and Southampton’s Ralph Hasenhüttl. Three weeks ago, Rangnick himself very nearly came to the Premier League.

He was invited to be Chelsea head coach after detailed talks with Marina Granovskaia and Petr Cech. However, the offer was until the end of the season. “I said, ‘I would love to come and work with you, but I cannot do it for four months. I am not an interim coach.’ To the media and players you would be the ‘four-month manager’, a lame duck, from day one,” Rangnick says.
Far from disappointed, he is sanguine, because it became clear during discussions that the coach Roman Abramovich wanted was Thomas Tuchel — and Tuchel is yet another Rangnick product. “Thomas became a coach through me,” Rangnick remembers affectionately. “He was my player at Ulm and had to finish his career because of knee problems. I gave him a job as our under-15 coach. He didn’t even intend being a coach, he was working at a bar in Stuttgart.

“If you watch Chelsea now you see a mutual plan for when they have the ball or the other team have the ball. Thomas is tactically on a very sophisticated level.

“Zsolt Low [Tuchel’s No 2] was my player and assistant coach at Leipzig and plays a vital role in his staff and you can see from the way he interacts with players Thomas also has great leadership skills. Appointing him was a top solution. I can only congratulate Thomas and Chelsea for the choice.”

In 2012, Rangnick declined an offer to manage West Bromwich Albion but four years later the technical director who tried to hire him, Dan Ashworth, returned with another proposal: to succeed Roy Hodgson as England manager. “The interview went great and the panel was Dan, Martin Glenn and David Gill. In the end, it was between me and Sam Allardyce and they decided on Sam,” Rangnick recalls. “Dan called and said, ‘Ralf, you would have been my candidate but the others wanted an English coach as a role model for the next generation. In the end we know how that went. . .”

Working in England remains an itch Rangnick would love to scratch. When he was ten, he was set a school essay: what do you want to be when you grow up? “Normally a ten-year-old boy writes an astronaut or pilot. I wrote I want to become a teacher of English and PE,” Rangnick says.

He studied both at university and in 1979 arrived in Brighton to spend a year at the University of Sussex. “I had planned to go to Yeovil because I knew a family there but my friend, Michael Schoeck said, ‘Ralf — what do you want in Yeovil? To learn to milk cows?’ He convinced me to go to London or nearby.’

They went to Brighton together. “I had my fast train to London Victoria and watched Woolwich at Highbury, West Ham at Upton Park, Tottenham at White Hart Lane. When Brighton were at home I went to the old Goldstone Ground.”

The intensity of English football influenced his ideas. “Astonishing for me was the atmosphere in stadiums. I saw on TV the waves [of fans swaying] behind the goal and thought, ‘How does that happen?’ I decided, like a guinea pig, to try it myself so I went to Highbury, to the Clock End, and have never had so much fear in my life.

“I went to the 1980 FA Cup final, Woolwich v West Ham and it was amazing. The fans created an individual song for each player. ‘One Liam Brady’ — Liam would applaud, and then another for Frank Stapleton. I watched a cup tie at the Goldstone, Brighton v Liverpool, a boring zero-zero, raining all the time, but still there was that sense of humour of British fans. The Brighton supporters were singing ‘Seagulls! Seagulls!’ And Liverpool were singing back, ‘Seaweed! Seaweed!’ ”

Rangnick played for non-League Southwick and 75 minutes before his debut he was changed and ready to warm up on the pitch. Except his team-mates were still in the club bar, playing the fruit machines. “The captain said ‘Ralf, what are you doing? We’re not warming up until five minutes before kick-off.’ ”

In his second match he suffered broken ribs and a punctured lung after a defender ploughed into his back, leading to four weeks in hospital in Chichester. “I experienced English physicality,” he says wryly, “and it was a completely different culture and style of football. As a midfielder, the ball flew all the time over my head.

“But the important lesson was the way they were coaching each other, the players and the coaches. Always ‘come on’, always trying to encourage. I learnt how important this is in football, that you encourage and push each other on the pitch.

“Probably in one of my former lives, I was an Englishman. Whenever I fly to London, in the last three minutes [descending] into Heathrow it feels like coming home. I know it’s crazy.

“I would love to work in England and I feel I could start from day one there, but it would have to be something special. It depends on what club and if they are willing to have a German coach.”

Tuesday brings Nagelsmann versus Klopp. “When I was at Hoffenheim, Julian was 22 and coached the under-16 team. You could see even then that this was a highly talented coach, always thinking one or two moves ahead like in chess.

“Jürgen is the full package. Tactically, leadership, everybody likes him. We call people like him menschenfänger — somebody who can just capture others. I don’t see a single area where he has space for improvement.

“But it is obvious Liverpool are struggling,” Rangnick says. “They have too many injured players and up front the ‘fab three’ are fabulous, but the replacements are a lower level. They don’t seem fresh, while Leipzig are in very good shape. I would have said a couple of months ago this one was 65 per cent Liverpool but now it’s a 50-50 game.”

Schalke just binned their DoF, Jochen Schneider. Is that Ragnick back to Schalke then?

OK we don't 'know', that was too strong, but there's a lot of chat that he's coming to the end of his time there. Could be bollocks but maybe not.

I guess he could but I am not sure why he would leave. There isn't a clear job that makes sense for him to go to. He hasn't been for so long that he would be tired of it. And there is no indication he is at odds with ownership there either.

I guess I don't see any indication that he would leave other than idle internet chatter that likely has no ties to reality.

in Fairness to Redknapp he knew himself, if you have intelligent players (and he did in guys like Modric, VDV. Gallas, Parker, etc) they can make their own decisions on the pitch.

as Harry once said "You don't tell Luka Mod-rick ow to play football!"

and he's right.

If you look at our squad you’d say our good players are the clever ones. Now look at the ones who seem to be thick as shit on the pitch and they are the worst ones. Dier, sissoko, winks, Doherty etc etc etc

Back
Top Bottom