In search of Mourinho's successor.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

50/50 split right down the middle for me
He’ll get us the Carabou, but but seems to mix good decisions with absurd ones.

Players take half the blame and the manager the rest, but you can’t sell 14 players, so it’s Jose’s head on the block

Whoever comes in next won’t do a thing with this squad, that’s something I can hold my hands to regarding Poch.

He made his mistakes though just like Jose is, and done it with players in peak form.
Jose hasn’t had that, bar Kane, Ndombele and Son all at once for about 12wks

And on this point I think posters on here must understand that in all likelihood had Mourinho had the same players Pochettino had 4 or 5 years ago he would have won something..

It's the trickery of timing but I still maintain Mourinho is not adding the value that would have been expected and that is the massive disappointment.

The biggest change is the public dressing down, it's rare to witness this nowadays and I'd say the only real acceptable face of it is when the manager includes himself in the criticism and the criticism is at the team, not on an individual level. It simply beggars belief that any manager that does this today with social media fully engaged with the game is almost wilful neglect. It only underlines the Dinosaur simply is massively out of touch with the consequences of his actions when he is almost greenlighting abuse on social media.
I am in complete agreement with this. At school I played Rugby rather than football but there was a certain type of chest-thumping machismo often present, and I imagine it becomes more accentuated the higher the level (I was crap so never called up for anything of real weight). To such an extent I can see a bit of charge and 'aggro' in sport can be useful - when I've played five a side as an adult there can be a bit of shouting which is fine and it can get the team playing better, even in the most laid back game!

The professional game is obviously a different kettle of fish entirely and here I would absolutely draw the line on the public dressing down - there's an old saying what goes on tour stays on tour. I honestly cannot see what it is meant to achieve psychologically or how it is meant to improve individual performance. Generally it seems to me to undermine the player's confidence and if anything they play worse as a result. And as you say it's all played out nowadays in public to be dissected on social media. So it's not a good move imv.

And on this point I think posters on here must understand that in all likelihood had Mourinho had the same players Pochettino had 4 or 5 years ago he would have won something..

It's the trickery of timing but I still maintain Mourinho does not add the value that would have been expected and that is the massive disappointment.
100%

Well, doesn’t matter what we want or say on here. We are neither shareholders nor are we investors so whether we like a manager or not does nothing to change their position here.

We are customers and not owners, and there is a massive difference between the two!
I was answering a question, never purported to own the club or have shares. I guess this forum apart from me are just Levy and Lewis with multiple accounts.

Well, doesn’t matter what we want or say on here. We are neither shareholders nor are we investors so whether we like a manager or not does nothing to change their position here.

We are customers and not owners, and there is a massive difference between the two!
Bayern Munich supporters on the other hand.......

Much as it would please me to see Nagelsmann here he's destined for bigger things in the near future imv, but we do pay our managers extremely well.

I don't disagree but my question would be where?

I can't see Bayern moving on from Flick anytime soon, Barcelona appear to be setting up for Xavi, PSG just hired Poch, Juve just hired Pirlo, can't see Liverpool moving on from Klopp. Dortmund is hiring Rose in the summer. Chelsea just hired Tuchel.

I guess Pep could leave City at some point but if he does he likely goes to one of the other big jobs. United could ditch Ole at anytime, but I am sure the Glazers love paying him peanuts compared to what a real manager would cost and are fine with him if he delivers CL football. RM and Zidane seem like they are always ready to part ways but there have been 4-5 other guys attached to that job and they can't all get it.

I do wonder if he would leave RB to come here as he seems like he could get a better job but those jobs seem like they may not be available so perhaps he comes here to show he is not just a product of the RB system.

With no break clause in his contract, and being on a fat wage, Mourinho isn't going anywhere before the end of the season. He has the Carabao Cup and Europa League in the bank still. If we end the season empty handed and outside the top 6 then it's a different matter.

With no break clause in his contract, and being on a fat wage, Mourinho isn't going anywhere before the end of the season. He has the Carabao Cup and Europa League in the bank still. If we end the season empty handed and outside the top 6 then it's a different matter.

yes correct. The league cup final (which we will lose ) and no fans has saved Mourinho for this season at least

This season will be known as the lost season for us. If we had hired a young manager with a project in hand it would be ideal for implement, but by the end of the season we will be sacking this clown, without winning fuck all and with even more work to do as he managed to destroy what left of us after Poch.

I agree. Everyone laughed at Harry Redknapp's approach (not that I am saying he is tactically like for like with Nagelsmann, ha ha!) but getting players happy, playing with a smile on their face and expressing their qualities as individuals really does strike me (non-footballer) as being vital. We've recently seen how acrimony and berating individuals or freezing out make things go toxic very quickly. If I was a big name player not sure I would want to be coming in every day to that sort of environment. Like all of us I'm sure they want to enjoy their jobs.

in Fairness to Redknapp he knew himself, if you have intelligent players (and he did in guys like Modric, VDV. Gallas, Parker, etc) they can make their own decisions on the pitch.

as Harry once said "You don't tell Luka Mod-rick ow to play football!"

and he's right.

Last edited:

This is why I can’t stand these cunts. They are so obsessed with us. Here they are talking of Brendan never going to Spurs because Leicester are bigger than us. I don’t care how good Leicester are doing, if Spurs were serious about Brendan, he would jump at the chance. We are a much bigger pull than this lot.
if we were them, we'd be sayin the exact same thing. they're growing a club. Don't see why they can't gatecrash the elite and stay there. they're constantly overlooked.

They're exactly where we were 3 years ago smashing the glass ceiling while pundits and media said it was unsustainable. Talksport and the likes would still give it the "yeah but if United came in for Kane he's going, doesn't matter if Spurs finish above them"

and it would enrage us, and now some are saying the same on here. I can sympathise and relate to Leicester fans here. Why can't they get into the top 4 and stay there like we did for a bit? they also won the PL not so long ago.

I hate in football any sense of certain teams belonging at the top and others not. we've heard it for years about United and Liverpool despite sustained periods of finishing above them.

if we were Leicester fans we'd all be saying the exact same thing as these guys. they're us from 2018 when Poch was linked to United.

Last edited:
if we were them, we'd be sayin the exact same thing. they're growing a club. Don't see why they can't gatecrash the elite and stay there. they're constantly overlooked.

They're exactly where we were 3 years ago smashing the glass ceiling while pundits and media said it was unsustainable. Talksport and the likes would still give it the "yeah but if United came in for Kane he's going, doesn't matter if Spurs finish above them"

and it would enrage us, and now some are saying the same on here. I can sympathise and relate to Leicester fans here. Why can't they get into the top 4 and stay there like we did for a bit? they also won the PL not so long ago.

I hate in football and sense of certain teams belonging at the top and others not. we've heard it for years about United and Liverpool despite sustained periods of finishing above them.

if we were Leicester fans we'd all be saying the exact same thing as these guys. they're us from 2018 when Poch was linked to United.

Well if we had capitalised on our "success" by winning things and using our resources to cement ourselves as a top club we would have nothing to worry about. Unfortunately our approach seems to be to do the bare minimum to maintain the status quo.

Leicester have spent well beyond their means but won a title in the process and are now continuing to push on.

Well if we had capitalised on our "success" by winning things and using our resources to cement ourselves as a top club we would have nothing to worry about. Unfortunately our approach seems to be to do the bare minimum to maintain the status quo.

Leicester have spent well beyond their means but won a title in the process and are now continuing to push on.

That’s generally been my biggest criticism of Levy every time we are in position we do nothing. When we came 2nd a few extra players we could have maintained our growth and also under Redknapp a few extra top quality players and we could have easily had a title challenge.

I think with Levy it’s top 4 and all is well.

Back
Top Bottom