In search of Mourinho's successor.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not to mention that with the current pandemic impacting finances we aren't going to pry a manager away from an existing contract. IF/when Jose does go he will be replaced by someone that is already free.
Other than Allegri, Benitez and Howe i can't think of any other reasonable manager being out of work. Really cant see it being any of them. Situation could change in the summer but no decent names strike me as getting the sack. Sometimes you have to pay or you end up in a marriage of convenience like Sherwood or Mourinho. The cost of getting a manager out of his contract is less than that of an average defender these days. For the most important person at the club its a relatively small investment.

Build on something?

Why on earth would he leave Leicester, who on top of building fantastic training facilities are building a pretty good squad and if they get top 4 and we don't. Itd be a poor career move for him.

Sadly, Leicester have overtaken us.

Not by a lot. But they have. Years of great scouting and smart signings and seen to that. And when things weren't working they acted.
I agree they are run superbly. I'd happily bring in their whole football set up. However i think you underestimate managers wanting more money, the ego trip that is managing a big club and what it could do to their reputation if they get things right.

Other than Allegri, Benitez and Howe i can't think of any other reasonable manager being out of work. Really cant see it being any of them. Situation could change in the summer but no decent names strike me as getting the sack. Sometimes you have to pay or you end up in a marriage of convenience like Sherwood or Mourinho. The cost of getting a manager out of his contract is less than that of an average defender these days. For the most important person at the club its a relatively small investment.
I really don't see how Allegri, Benitez or Howe aren't reasonable names. The latter two in particular who already live in the country and we know will be allowed to manage in England. Howe in particular I think would interest Levy/the board. They'd probably see him as a Pochettino like gamble. As in betting on a young manager with a attacking football philosophy. And I could see us appeal to Howe as well.

Benitez I think would prefer a job in northern England since his family still lives in Liverpool. But I think he would be interest as well if offered. And Allegri has been interested in a Premier League move since he left Juve.

I really don't see how Allegri, Benitez or Howe aren't reasonable names. The latter two in particular who already live in the country and we know will be allowed to manage in England. Howe in particular I think would interest Levy/the board. They'd probably see him as a Pochettino like gamble. As in betting on a young manager with a attacking football philosophy. And I could see us appeal to Howe as well.

Benitez I think would prefer a job in northern England since his family still lives in Liverpool. But I think he would be interest as well if offered. And Allegri has been interested in a Premier League move since he left Juve.
Benitez and Allegri and we're looking at more negative football. Benitez arguably past his best and didnt Allegri make a lot of diva-ish personal demands when Woolwich were sniffing around? Sure i've read it somewhere. I'm not sure either would suit us much more than Mourinho. I just dont think Howe is good enough but if it were him or Mourinho next season then Howe it is. Think we can do better though.

Last edited:
the wrist slitting here is hilarious , you'd think Spurs are sitting outside the top 10. a win next match would bring the team to 5th.

Levy's expectations from Mourinho would simply be trophies and top 4. Mourinho is still on course for that.
People like you would put it this way in a few months...
“People are hilarious, you’d think Spurs are in Championship, a win next match would bring the team to 19th”.

the wrist slitting here is hilarious , you'd think Spurs are sitting outside the top 10. a win next match would bring the team to 5th.

Levy's expectations from Mourinho would simply be trophies and top 4. Mourinho is still on course for that.

Assuming Everton and Villa lose their games in hand.

Jose is not on course for trophies and top 4 at all.

then we hire new young progressive coach, import thing is we have an ethos that doesn’t change massively with every coach.
They will end up being sacked for the same reason and ultimately the DOF will take the blame for failures
Also Levy isn't going to give very much trust as far as transfers are concerned..

Why would he. A lot of the Leeds players were with them in the third division.
He improves players.
I know it won’t happen but I would love to see him with us for a season.
He bought two centre halves pre season and both have long term injuries.
We were awful last season at Brighton and that game said to me that Poch was gone.
We may have been even worse last night.
We seemed completely lost. Thank god Hojberg plays for us .
Bielsa, like Pep, Van Gaal etc is from the Rinus Michal 'total football' tree and more so an older generation student like LvG.

His system requires highly technical and high work rate players ( which I think we lack). He is also notorious for being set in his ways. He has played midfielders in defence cos of the technical ability required in his system .

Hiring him will likely put us through something similar to what ManU got with LvG.

We aren’t “on course” for top four. We’re not in the top four.

Rodgers is probably the best bet. Experience of the PL, coaches well getting his teams to play good attractive football, spots decent players and develops youngster. Finally he will probably think he has something to prove after losing the title to city in 2014. We could be the vechile he needs. No way to Benitez his just the same as JM. Recall the shite he served up at bar codes?

I'm not sure Brendan Rogers would take a step down at this point.
Size of club - Spurs revenues are roughly double Leicester - appeals to most people to have that status/ego thing. And put his finger up at Liverpool that sacked him !

Spurs squad would be an interesting challenge for him to rebuild, but not that difficult to do given his experience at Leicester.

I have been mentioning his name a lot and I know he doesn't have the pedigree a lot of these other managers have, but I like Potter. People will rail on Brighton's point total, but I like the XG chart that shows his system works, its just the quality he has in his squad is lacking. A lot of Brighton fans don't like his demeanor because he says the same shit every press conference, but honestly, I don't need PR, I just need a manager that can manage personalities.

Back
Top Bottom