In search of Mourinho's successor.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I watched the first 5 minutes of it. In mitigation (if there can be any after a second 9-0 defeat in just over a year) an already injury ravaged Southampton did have a young fellow on debut sent off after 79 seconds.

He's had a couple of big thrashings since he's been in England, both mancs wasn't it

Leicester.

Two 9-0s is pretty concerning. Regardless of whether or not they had 6 of their first team out and a 19 year old making his debut (and subsequently getting sent off in a minute) - though their form since that 9-0 Leicester win has seen:

Southampton earn 74 points and Spurs earn 80 points in the same time frame - bare in mind we have much bigger resources, a much better first eleven, a much better squad and a SerialWinner™ in charge.

Let's not forget that Pochettino was signed following a season where he lost to Tim Sherwood.

Twice.

Is it just me who isn't part of the Hasenhuttl group wank?

I'm thinking back to when we demolished them at their place, where his lack of tactical nous let us score basically the same goal five times over. Imagine the scenes on here if he did that with us against a big rival.

Oh and, it's a bit ironic that some who pilloried Pochettino for not having won anything are the same that are now bigging up a manager who has.. errrr... won nothing.
Agreed, don't buy the Hasenhuttl hype.

Is it just me who isn't part of the Hasenhuttl group wank?

I'm thinking back to when we demolished them at their place, where his lack of tactical nous let us score basically the same goal five times over. Imagine the scenes on here if he did that with us against a big rival.

Oh and, it's a bit ironic that some who pilloried Pochettino for not having won anything are the same that are now bigging up a manager who has.. errrr... won nothing.

What were your thoughts on Pochettino prior to us going for him?

I only ask because there were also games where he looked tactically clueless and also threw away a 2 goal lead to a Tim Sherwood Tottenham and lost 3-2... he ended up losing to Tim Sherwood twice that season.

I also think those that moan about Spurs not winning anything are those that I assume want to keep Mourinho and don't care how we play to win said trophies.

Leicester.

Two 9-0s is pretty concerning. Regardless of whether or not they had 6 of their first team out and a 19 year old making his debut (and subsequently getting sent off in a minute) - though their form since that 9-0 Leicester win has seen:

Southampton earn 74 points and Spurs earn 80 points in the same time frame - bare in mind we have much bigger resources, a much better first eleven, a much better squad and a SerialWinner™ in charge.

Let's not forget that Pochettino was signed following a season where he lost to Tim Sherwood.

Twice.
Seems when he gets it right they look very good but if he gets it wrong then it goes completely pear shaped

Seems when he gets it right they look very good but if he gets it wrong then it goes completely pear shaped

I've pulled it up a few times.

He seems to have drilled a set plan into Southampton that, when on song, works like an absolute treat. It's seen him get wins against Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Woolwich and us since he's come to the country.

But if something happens to upset that said plan, either a red card, conceding a goal when dominating, it all seems to go a bit wrong for them.

I remember them being 2-0 up at home to Man Utd, comfortable and dominating. Suddenly, they conceded a goal and it's like they then didn't seem to know how to react. The game then ended 2-3 to Man Utd.

Another one from the top of my head was 0-4 up away at Aston Villa, they conceded a goal and even at 1-4, they started to panic abit, play less of their own game and the game actually ended up 3-4. Add on a few more minutes and Villa could have definitely equalised.

Agreed, don't buy the Hasenhuttl hype.
He has his good sides, on their day his teams play great attacking football. But he also seems to not be the greatest at setting up defences or adapting to a game not going as he wants it.

His Leipzig years were great. But Ragnick was of course looming in the background. So his tactical inflexibility was not as prominent because Ragnick could always tell him what changes that needed to be done, and he had to listen.

Back
Top Bottom