Dortmund v Spurs- Ropey League Last 16.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hello guys,
I am a supporter of the BVB. I am a bit sad that you guys did not bring your best squad to the table. Of course you guys want to win the league or qualify for CL, but for me games like these are the reason why we are fans of this fantastic sport after all, so I was disappointed. We in Germany love UK soccer, because of fans atmosphere and honesty and so everyone was really looking forward to this. Too bad that it turned out to be a bit boring. I don't take away too much and I honestly believe that your first squad would have put up a great fight. Maybe next year in the CL hopefully :)

Your fans were amazing though, LOTS of great atmosphere and at the end even congratulated the winner. This is true sportsmanship and everyone in the stadium really appreciated that. Turns out you guys are as great as everyone is saying. Anyway, I am looking forward to a visit in your stadium. Cu in the 2nd leg.

One question: if you stay in the top 4 of your league and qualify for CL, are you afraid that any of your top players leave the club? Or will you guys stay together?

Villa is a bigger game than Dortmund in the grand scheme of things
This seems to be the general feeling in this thread.

Everyone - ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING?

We've drawn Borussia Dortmund, a tie that wouldn't look amiss in the Champions League, and we're all requesting Poch send over a team full of kids because we've got a tragic Villa side on Sunday?

What do you think happens when we're in the Champions League next season? Rest our first team against Juventus on Wednesday because we've got a big game against Norwich on the Saturday?

Get a fucking grip. This is a huge game, probably our biggest of the season, and one of the biggest in our recent history, it's our chance to really prove we can cut it against some of the finest in Europe. And you want to throw the game?

I'm honestly astounded.

Small time attitudes like that have held this club back for too long.

I'm not getting into this rotation, resting, fatigue argument again. It's happened too many times. Modern football, people. ALL top clubs play a lot of games. You think Kane is sitting at home hoping he doesn't get selected against Dortmund because he's played 35 games this season? No. I bet he's chomping at the fucking bit to get on that pitch.

Professional sportsmen, at the peak of psychical condition, with the best medical, fitness and nutritional staff around them 24/7. But no no, we all know better. Eriksen couldn't possibly run around for 90 minutes on Thursday having played lunch time on Saturday.

Fuck sake.

Where?
Westfalenstadion.

Westfalenstadion born and raised....
the-fresh-prince-of-Bel-Air.jpg

Can all league game threads be started by Gatsby Gatsby please, at least until his winning streak ends.

You want to win the league? Then let him start match threads. It's that simple, no it has nothing to do with the players or who we play, it's all down to him .

Thank you. This is a party political broadcast for the Gatsby Gatsby thread starting party.

BVB blame Tottenham fans for start of crush last night, German journalist says otherwise
Tottenham Hotspur fans were involved in an unfortunate and potentially very dangerous situation on Thursday night whilst entering the Westfalenstadion.

Supporters were caught outside the ground as gates started to be closed, but there were still many fans entering the stadium, both Tottenham and Borussia Dortmund followers, and with there being less ways to enter the stadium, the ones left open obviously became more crowded.

As fans tried to get into the ground and take their seats, they were met with a limited access route, meaning everyone converged on the same area and a crush developed. There were a number of injuries but the overwhelming opinion coming from those involved is that things could have been worse, and it was a very scary situation.

Ruhr Nachrichten is Dortmund's regional newspaper and they've spoken to Christian Hockenjos, the German club's 'Organisations-Chef'.

Hockenjos, according to the newspaper, explained that the situation was initially caused by 'very late arrival of Tottenham fans'.

'A timely arrival had been specifically requested, but a very large group had arrived just before the game at the stadium.'

It's stated that late arriving Tottenham supporters then went to the wrong entrance and that caused further problems.

However, the balancing of blame doesn't quite fit in with what fans have said, and they're backed up by German journalist Ulrich Breulmann who ended up caught in the middle of it.

Breulmann explained to Ruhr Nachrichten: "At 18.30 I was at the entrance to the North Stand. The fans were quiet, good mood and not a touch aggressive. That it might take some time, they took with patience. It was completely relaxed. This changed from 18:40. Gradually, some of the entrances has been closed to the North Stand. The many waiting football fans - myself included - were shocked.

"I was stood in front of a steward and asked him: "Why in heaven's name close the entrances now" He shrugged and said, "I really can't say, we are only following instructions."

"Also Tottenham fans appealed urgently to the steward to keep the entrances open - in vain. So that's how the situation that pushed even more fans in the direction of the remaining entrances originated."
Hi!
I am a Dortmund supporter and just wanted to say how ashamed I am about this. It's disgraceful. When we played Galatasaray the stewards didn't even try searching their fans. Amsterdam hooligans could smash up trains and threaten our fans and the police had nothing to say but "oops, didn't expect that". Seems to me as a case of acting tough against the wrong people for the wrong reasons. Even the statement that 80-100 Spurs fans "broke into" the stadium doesn't really add up...
There was a TV documentary about Dortmund's stewards years ago, that they get no training, are underpaid and some of them just turn up on matchday with their passport and certificate of good conduct and are good to go a few hours later. Not surprising that this can lead to situations where stewards are completely overwhelmed as soon as there is a hint of trouble. I won't even get started on the German police. Utterly useless morons.
I just hope everyone who was there Thursday night and affected by this is well again.

What in the fuck kind of match thread is this?

We're gonna lay the beat down on these fuckers so hard that it makes Rodney King wince!!!

More of this:
ay_110806211-e1369583860515.jpg

And this:

article-0-19FFD3A1000005DC-23_634x467.jpg

Some of this:

article-2331070-19FFF174000005DC-23_634x435.jpg

Article link, if preferred: Dortmund v Spurs Preview

I don’t watch a lot of German football but I have seen enough to say Dortmund are probably the best team we’ll play all season. If we’re to be beaten by more than a single goal this season this will be the game – not exactly insightful, I know. Let’s start with what I do watch:

We’re in a bit of a lucky position here in that the league game we have in between our two games against BVB is against the weakest team in the league. I know these kind of statements invite embarrassment but Aston Villa’s shitness cannot be overstated. They say there are ‘no easy games in the premier league’ but that’s just not true this year. Sunday’s game is one that we can approach with the mentality of ‘how weak can we make our team before its no longer a guaranteed 3 points’. It may seem like I’m being unnecessarily mean about their state but my passion for banging on about how poor they are stems from my sympathy for a Villa supporting friend of mine. My point is, with that in mind, we can afford to play our best possible team on Thursday; so here’s that:

screen-shot-2016-03-07-at-18-06-56.png

Alli is suspended and maybe injured too so likely Son, who has an impressive record against Dortmund, comes in. It’s unsure what Danny Rose’s fitness situation is; Davies the obvious replacement. Maybe it’s too soon for Dembele to start again in which case Mason will – I certainly expect a swap between the two at some point in the game regardless of which one starts. Any other rests or injuries would likely see Chadli start.

Once again I’m writing a blog post rather than making video due to time constraints from a new job. Some are preferring these anyway but for those missing the videos, here is one with much higher production values than I am ever likely to achieve: www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFgxeyiIi8E

In essence though, we all know about Klopp’s Dortmund, they made themselves one of the best teams in the world off the back of a system based primarily in pressing and counter-attacks. What let them down last season was teams setting up defensively and forcing Dortmund to ‘pick the lock’, which they struggled with. Quick side note: 10 men behind the ball is the Premier League default and Klopp is going to have to develop his system if he is to succeed at Liverpool – and we are a little similar in that. For Dortmund, at least, Tuchel has come in and given them quality in possession.

Where our pressing game has taken the league by storm it is, at least in part thanks to Klopp, much more common place in Germany and as a result Dortmund’s backline and deep midfield of comfortably technical players will be much more prepared to handle it. (Unlike last round’s opponents, Fiorentina, who aren’t used to it at all and were dismantled by it.)

Ineffective pressing succeeds only to tire out attacking players and open up space for your opponents. This may be one for picking our moments, zones and players (fullbacks).

Windy made an interesting observation. At the weekend Dortmund set up against title rivals Bayern Munich quite similarly, at least in shape, to how West Ham set up against us. However, like West Ham, the primary function of this was to shut down the opponent’s movement into the attacking third, somewhat sacrificing their own attacking output and as a result and I think it’s very unlikely that Dortmund would have that attitude towards their match against us.

Instead it’s likely they will simply field their strongest team and impose their usual approach with perhaps a slightly cautious tweak.

screen-shot-2016-03-07-at-18-17-39.png

Thanks to @TomPayneftbl for his help with this.

Although Dortmund normally play a 4231 on paper; Kagawa often drops deep from his AM role (even more so if Sahin starts) and the wingers play narrow with one (Reus) making direct runs and the other (Mkhitaryan) moving into the 10 role making them a little bit like a 433 or 4141. Remind you of anyone?

Honestly the tactical similarities between these two teams are quite strong. Both play that 4231/433/4141 hybrid with similar roles (only Gündogan/Dembele and Kane/Aubameyang really differ), both have an excellent playmaking centre-back (Hummels and Alderweireld), both like to overload centrally with a focus on the left channel, both look to find balance between possession and counter-attack, both are renowned for their pressing. I’m sure there’s more I’m missing.

So if we’re playing against ourselves should we set up in the manner which we know we’re weak to? It’s an amusing daydream but similarly to the idea of Dortmund doing it we are too invested in playing our own style to set up in a manner specifically designed to kill our opponents attacking threat, especially if it is at the sacrifice of our own.

Looking at the players who do differ from their Spurs counterparts: Gündogan is more of a metronomic playmaker where Dembele is a physical presence who will to bring the ball forward himself. ‘Auba’ is Lennon-fast but without Kane’s hold-up play. Man-marking Gündogan can go some way to making things more difficult for Dortmund and slowing them down. And Aubameyang’s pace is made more terrifying by us missing Vertonghen – but Wimmer can be helped by more a defensive and narrow role from Danny Rose and a deeper defensive line.

Because both are quality teams used to dominating games there might be potential for two very open and exciting games. More likely though we will see what we often do in big European games. Two good teams taking it turns to be the possession team and the counter team when playing at home and away respectively.

screen-shot-2016-03-07-at-18-24-15.png

@TTTactics

Totti cheated his way through it, got find out, and since then has refused to acknowledge it at all. Instead of owning up and being a man about it, he just pretends it hasn't happened and ignores any posts about it. Shameful and arrogant tosser.

And so soon after we drop points against the scum he is sitting here writing his long match thread, trying to convince us all he's been supporting Spurs all his life. He came onto this forum as a Roma fan with a side interest in Spurs. Now he loves Spurs and is so affected by a game against the scum that he's polishing his nob on his next football manager thread already.
That-Escalated-Quickly.jpg

There are enough arguments in defence of Pochettino and against him for his team selection.

The predominant one against was mentioned to me yesterday: Why bother against Fiorentina if we were then going to throw it away against Dortmund (whether he'd of done the same against Bilbao for example we'll never know).

The one that says 'It's only Villa next' has really pissed me off. It was only Villa last season at home and we contrived to lose that. It was 'only' Newcastle this season (and last) both at home, we lost those too.

The attitude of people when we have won nothing suggests that were we to win the league they'd become insufferable.

I was disappointed but the manager, the staff and the medical team will know better than us just who is more at risk of injury, who was in desperate need of a rest, and who might well be needed more in the run in.

But for Pochettino, Villa on Sunday becomes a must win.

What happened in the chess tourney?

Totti cheated his way through it, got find out, and since then has refused to acknowledge it at all. Instead of owning up and being a man about it, he just pretends it hasn't happened and ignores any posts about it. Shameful and arrogant tosser.

And so soon after we drop points against the scum he is sitting here writing his long match thread, trying to convince us all he's been supporting Spurs all his life. He came onto this forum as a Roma fan with a side interest in Spurs. Now he loves Spurs and is so affected by a game against the scum that he's polishing his nob on his next football manager thread already.

Our league position is not certain yet, while I don't think we will catch Lecister we could be caught ourselves. Getting second would be a huge achievement and with Champions League football we could attract the very best players and get better and better for next season.

For that reason and concern for running out of steam I would not be against resting a lot of players for this, the likes of Dier and Kane who hardly get any time off. Not great against a team as strong as Dortmund but Villa is a bigger game than Dortmund in the grand scheme of things. Let's not be deluded fans, and pretend fatigue doesn't exist. I'd be very surprised if Poch doesn't rest anyone for the two leg clash.

And why bring Kane on at 3 nil down, absolute buffoonery.
Because 1 away goal would have made a massive difference

If Poch is a buffoon - I guess that makes you an amoeba in terms of football intelligence

Log off for good - you add nothing of value other than constantly slating the manager and posting Redknapp and Adebayor reacharounds

Back
Top Bottom