Dortmund v Spurs- Ropey League Last 16.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What's the difference? We stand no chance of winning the Champion's League in the immediate future so as far as I see the only difference is in this competition we have a chance of taking home our first trophy in 8 years.
What's the difference between the Champions League and the Europa League?!

And on that bombshell, Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm out.

So you'd rather risk losing ground in title race and giving the scum optimism than some bullshit European husk of a competition it once was.

Then have the gall to tell people to ask themselves what fans they are?

The Villa game is far, far more important. I don't even understand why this has to be said.

Ok, questioning fan loyalty was a bit too far. Apologies for that. I'm angry.

I just think that Villa would have been a better time to rotate players than today. I fully understand that Poch didn't expect us to lose THIS badly and hopefully be able to make up for it at The Lane, but you can't tell me with a straight face when you saw that lineup you felt good about our chances today.

Ok, questioning fan loyalty was a bit too far. Apologies for that. I'm angry.

I just think that Villa would have been a better time to rotate players than today. I fully understand that Poch didn't expect us to lose THIS badly and hopefully be able to make up for it at The Lane, but you can't tell me with a straight face when you saw that lineup you felt good about our chances today.

Rotate against Villa?

We are going for the league.

Those two players would improve any team ffs! Including Barca if we are talking squad, actually fuck it Rakitic is a shit modric and Suarez is a cunt.
I don't disagree. Some asked me who I consider as "world beating" teams. My definition is that you need a team that could realistically could win the Champions League. This side would maybe reach the quarter-finals, but I think they would stuggled against a topped Woolwich or us.

I don't disagree. Some asked me who I consider as "world beating" teams. My definition is that you need a team that could realistically could win the Champions League. This side would maybe reach the quarter-finals, but I think they would stuggled against a topped Woolwich or us.
Reaching the quarter-finals in the CL is really fucking good. And like I said, would beat any team they faced bar a select few.

What's the difference between the Champions League and the Europa League?!

And on that bombshell, Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm out.
What makes a game against Shakhtar Donetsk or K.A.A. Gent better than Dortmund in the Europa League? The money? Because we fans certainly don't see any of the benefit, in fact I'd strongly supect the prices of tickets would go up for the spectacle of a game where booing the theme music is a finable offence.

Our team has been completely knackered since the Swansea game. I can see Poch's reasoning, it all comes back to the transfer windows when we didn't get sufficient back-ups in

Right...deep breaths taken. Dog walked round the block & head cleared.

Shocking performance but against a truly high quality side.

I would be amazed if Dortmund don't win it outright.

In other news, Manure are being schooled by the dippers. I'd be more pissed off if I was a united fan. At least BVB are one of the very best around

Fighting for fop four it is... This side won't win the league, totally outclassed in Europa Cup when it gets to the business end... and out of the domestic cups.

There is a risk we go all Spursy now.... If don't get our act together.

Sorry but that performance was fucking awful.

We need to smash Villa now...

I've said many times in recent weeks that people shouldn't get carried away with visions of glory, talk of winning the league or storming through the cups. I even predicted we would go out pretty much where we did in the FA Cup and where it seems we might go out of this. But people don't listen and once again set their hopes far too high and then feel crushed when defeats like this come along. When I urged caution a few weeks ago people rounded on me, one even telling me that I was talking shit for suggesting Poch is right when he says we should just take things game by game rather than getting carried away, yet here we are going through a rough patch during the latter half of the of the season and the usual subjects sit around crushed at a bad result. I just don't understand why people can't learn to be cautious and limit their celebrations for games won or the trophy when/if we actually win the thing, instead of celebrating winning competitions in their mind before we've crossed the finish line.

Anyhow, there's lots to consider right now:-

- Poch's teams have always drifted off late season. Anyone who has observed any of them before us knows this. Therefore it was always a possibility we might struggle a bit in the business end of the season and people should have prepared themselves for it.

- Because of the above, it made sense that with so much on the line in the league, we have to make a tough choice when it comes to rotating the squad. I think it was right that Poch try and rest some of the players that we need in the league, and really the squad depth should have been enough to still give them a better performance than we did. The only question I would raise, that was mentioned above, is whether or not we shouldn't fielded as a strong a side as we did in the group stages if Poch is now worried about tiredness (which is, of course, pure speculation)?

- Statistically teams who compete for the title are far more likely to go out of the cups than win cups. That's always been the case.

- In spite of the above, we are still 2nd. We have a game coming up that we are more likely to win than not and we're still the strongest in the league that we've been in 30 years. However it's done, if we get Champion's League football this season that would be a massive achievement. Poch would meet the expectations placed on his predecessors and, let's face it, the majority of us would have a finish that most of us didn't think likely at the start of the season. We have far, far more chance of CL through the league now than we do through the EL. It is right that Poch treats that as a priority and the counter argument to him playing too strong a side in the early stages against weaker opposition is that back then we did not know we'd be fighting for the league come March.

- Most importantly, we aren't out of this competition yet. Dortmund are the strongest team in this, but they aren't Barca and we aren't Villa. We can still give them a game at our place. Let's have hope. It is possible to still beat them and this team is capable of a comeback, however unlikely it might seems right now. Let's not treat ourselves as out until we actually are.

Back
Top Bottom