Dortmund v Spurs- Ropey League Last 16.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Article link, if preferred: Dortmund v Spurs Preview

I don’t watch a lot of German football but I have seen enough to say Dortmund are probably the best team we’ll play all season. If we’re to be beaten by more than a single goal this season this will be the game – not exactly insightful, I know. Let’s start with what I do watch:

We’re in a bit of a lucky position here in that the league game we have in between our two games against BVB is against the weakest team in the league. I know these kind of statements invite embarrassment but Aston Villa’s shitness cannot be overstated. They say there are ‘no easy games in the premier league’ but that’s just not true this year. Sunday’s game is one that we can approach with the mentality of ‘how weak can we make our team before its no longer a guaranteed 3 points’. It may seem like I’m being unnecessarily mean about their state but my passion for banging on about how poor they are stems from my sympathy for a Villa supporting friend of mine. My point is, with that in mind, we can afford to play our best possible team on Thursday; so here’s that:

screen-shot-2016-03-07-at-18-06-56.png

Alli is suspended and maybe injured too so likely Son, who has an impressive record against Dortmund, comes in. It’s unsure what Danny Rose’s fitness situation is; Davies the obvious replacement. Maybe it’s too soon for Dembele to start again in which case Mason will – I certainly expect a swap between the two at some point in the game regardless of which one starts. Any other rests or injuries would likely see Chadli start.

Once again I’m writing a blog post rather than making video due to time constraints from a new job. Some are preferring these anyway but for those missing the videos, here is one with much higher production values than I am ever likely to achieve: www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFgxeyiIi8E

In essence though, we all know about Klopp’s Dortmund, they made themselves one of the best teams in the world off the back of a system based primarily in pressing and counter-attacks. What let them down last season was teams setting up defensively and forcing Dortmund to ‘pick the lock’, which they struggled with. Quick side note: 10 men behind the ball is the Premier League default and Klopp is going to have to develop his system if he is to succeed at Liverpool – and we are a little similar in that. For Dortmund, at least, Tuchel has come in and given them quality in possession.

Where our pressing game has taken the league by storm it is, at least in part thanks to Klopp, much more common place in Germany and as a result Dortmund’s backline and deep midfield of comfortably technical players will be much more prepared to handle it. (Unlike last round’s opponents, Fiorentina, who aren’t used to it at all and were dismantled by it.)

Ineffective pressing succeeds only to tire out attacking players and open up space for your opponents. This may be one for picking our moments, zones and players (fullbacks).

Windy made an interesting observation. At the weekend Dortmund set up against title rivals Bayern Munich quite similarly, at least in shape, to how West Ham set up against us. However, like West Ham, the primary function of this was to shut down the opponent’s movement into the attacking third, somewhat sacrificing their own attacking output and as a result and I think it’s very unlikely that Dortmund would have that attitude towards their match against us.

Instead it’s likely they will simply field their strongest team and impose their usual approach with perhaps a slightly cautious tweak.

screen-shot-2016-03-07-at-18-17-39.png

Thanks to @TomPayneftbl for his help with this.

Although Dortmund normally play a 4231 on paper; Kagawa often drops deep from his AM role (even more so if Sahin starts) and the wingers play narrow with one (Reus) making direct runs and the other (Mkhitaryan) moving into the 10 role making them a little bit like a 433 or 4141. Remind you of anyone?

Honestly the tactical similarities between these two teams are quite strong. Both play that 4231/433/4141 hybrid with similar roles (only Gündogan/Dembele and Kane/Aubameyang really differ), both have an excellent playmaking centre-back (Hummels and Alderweireld), both like to overload centrally with a focus on the left channel, both look to find balance between possession and counter-attack, both are renowned for their pressing. I’m sure there’s more I’m missing.

So if we’re playing against ourselves should we set up in the manner which we know we’re weak to? It’s an amusing daydream but similarly to the idea of Dortmund doing it we are too invested in playing our own style to set up in a manner specifically designed to kill our opponents attacking threat, especially if it is at the sacrifice of our own.

Looking at the players who do differ from their Spurs counterparts: Gündogan is more of a metronomic playmaker where Dembele is a physical presence who will to bring the ball forward himself. ‘Auba’ is Lennon-fast but without Kane’s hold-up play. Man-marking Gündogan can go some way to making things more difficult for Dortmund and slowing them down. And Aubameyang’s pace is made more terrifying by us missing Vertonghen – but Wimmer can be helped by more a defensive and narrow role from Danny Rose and a deeper defensive line.

Because both are quality teams used to dominating games there might be potential for two very open and exciting games. More likely though we will see what we often do in big European games. Two good teams taking it turns to be the possession team and the counter team when playing at home and away respectively.

screen-shot-2016-03-07-at-18-24-15.png

@TTTactics

That's because it was the UEFA Cup then, not the Europa League.
We're not knackered. I also don't believe we would keep playing Dier if he were knackered, or about to keep over. It was be gross mismanagement if the staff were aware of that and continued playing him anyway.

Dier did have some stick on strapping on his right shoulder and neck area, a few games ago so I can only guess has a light strain/ pull in that area. Simular to Alli on his right leg?

Article link, if preferred: Dortmund v Spurs Preview

I don’t watch a lot of German football but I have seen enough to say Dortmund are probably the best team we’ll play all season. If we’re to be beaten by more than a single goal this season this will be the game – not exactly insightful, I know. Let’s start with what I do watch:

We’re in a bit of a lucky position here in that the league game we have in between our two games against BVB is against the weakest team in the league. I know these kind of statements invite embarrassment but Aston Villa’s shitness cannot be overstated. They say there are ‘no easy games in the premier league’ but that’s just not true this year. Sunday’s game is one that we can approach with the mentality of ‘how weak can we make our team before its no longer a guaranteed 3 points’. It may seem like I’m being unnecessarily mean about their state but my passion for banging on about how poor they are stems from my sympathy for a Villa supporting friend of mine. My point is, with that in mind, we can afford to play our best possible team on Thursday; so here’s that:

screen-shot-2016-03-07-at-18-06-56.png

Alli is suspended and maybe injured too so likely Son, who has an impressive record against Dortmund, comes in. It’s unsure what Danny Rose’s fitness situation is; Davies the obvious replacement. Maybe it’s too soon for Dembele to start again in which case Mason will – I certainly expect a swap between the two at some point in the game regardless of which one starts. Any other rests or injuries would likely see Chadli start.

Once again I’m writing a blog post rather than making video due to time constraints from a new job. Some are preferring these anyway but for those missing the videos, here is one with much higher production values than I am ever likely to achieve: www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFgxeyiIi8E

In essence though, we all know about Klopp’s Dortmund, they made themselves one of the best teams in the world off the back of a system based primarily in pressing and counter-attacks. What let them down last season was teams setting up defensively and forcing Dortmund to ‘pick the lock’, which they struggled with. Quick side note: 10 men behind the ball is the Premier League default and Klopp is going to have to develop his system if he is to succeed at Liverpool – and we are a little similar in that. For Dortmund, at least, Tuchel has come in and given them quality in possession.

Where our pressing game has taken the league by storm it is, at least in part thanks to Klopp, much more common place in Germany and as a result Dortmund’s backline and deep midfield of comfortably technical players will be much more prepared to handle it. (Unlike last round’s opponents, Fiorentina, who aren’t used to it at all and were dismantled by it.)

Ineffective pressing succeeds only to tire out attacking players and open up space for your opponents. This may be one for picking our moments, zones and players (fullbacks).

Windy made an interesting observation. At the weekend Dortmund set up against title rivals Bayern Munich quite similarly, at least in shape, to how West Ham set up against us. However, like West Ham, the primary function of this was to shut down the opponent’s movement into the attacking third, somewhat sacrificing their own attacking output and as a result and I think it’s very unlikely that Dortmund would have that attitude towards their match against us.

Instead it’s likely they will simply field their strongest team and impose their usual approach with perhaps a slightly cautious tweak.

screen-shot-2016-03-07-at-18-17-39.png

Thanks to @TomPayneftbl for his help with this.

Although Dortmund normally play a 4231 on paper; Kagawa often drops deep from his AM role (even more so if Sahin starts) and the wingers play narrow with one (Reus) making direct runs and the other (Mkhitaryan) moving into the 10 role making them a little bit like a 433 or 4141. Remind you of anyone?

Honestly the tactical similarities between these two teams are quite strong. Both play that 4231/433/4141 hybrid with similar roles (only Gündogan/Dembele and Kane/Aubameyang really differ), both have an excellent playmaking centre-back (Hummels and Alderweireld), both like to overload centrally with a focus on the left channel, both look to find balance between possession and counter-attack, both are renowned for their pressing. I’m sure there’s more I’m missing.

So if we’re playing against ourselves should we set up in the manner which we know we’re weak to? It’s an amusing daydream but similarly to the idea of Dortmund doing it we are too invested in playing our own style to set up in a manner specifically designed to kill our opponents attacking threat, especially if it is at the sacrifice of our own.

Looking at the players who do differ from their Spurs counterparts: Gündogan is more of a metronomic playmaker where Dembele is a physical presence who will to bring the ball forward himself. ‘Auba’ is Lennon-fast but without Kane’s hold-up play. Man-marking Gündogan can go some way to making things more difficult for Dortmund and slowing them down. And Aubameyang’s pace is made more terrifying by us missing Vertonghen – but Wimmer can be helped by more a defensive and narrow role from Danny Rose and a deeper defensive line.

Because both are quality teams used to dominating games there might be potential for two very open and exciting games. More likely though we will see what we often do in big European games. Two good teams taking it turns to be the possession team and the counter team when playing at home and away respectively.

screen-shot-2016-03-07-at-18-24-15.png

@TTTactics
shame there's no "boring" button.
Man - the stuff you post is dull. Any of it could mean anything
Or nothing
or that the rumours of area 51 are gospel.

At least he is trying to contribute something meaningful to the discussion..
Yep that's a fair point. My issue with it is that most of it is bland observation without any incisive observation. It reads like a well written witness statement rather than an insightful piece of commentary.
I have been reading them but I'm not going to in future. I'm glad it works for other people though.

Yep that's a fair point. My issue with it is that most of it is bland observation without any incisive observation. It reads like a well written witness statement rather than an insightful piece of commentary.
I have been reading them but I'm not going to in future. I'm glad it works for other people though.
...it's the fallout from the OPTA/FIFA16 World we live in...
Heat maps, overly analysed statistics and FanTV are strangling football... (not to mention players on £0B$€N€ amounts a week....!!!
Bring back Maximum wage of £20 a week, and flat caps!!!

regarding the home leg, I have a friend who is a member who can no longer go, but another friend without a membership who wants to go. the one with the membership is female and the one without is male. would we get away with letting him have her stadium access card? sorry if this isn't appropriate for the match thread but didn't know where else to ask. cheers lads.

Last edited:
Got to love zee Germans, they know about history:
From Germany: Tottenham 'more fans than Chelsea', more important than Man City

German magazine SportBild are hugely excited about Borussia Dortmund against Tottenham Hotspur in the Europa League on Thursday, as are we. SportBild have dedicated a big swathe of their magazine this week to looking forward to the match, and there's some excellent features and interviews.

One eye-catching bit is SportBild going over which English clubs are the most important, and they believe Tottenham is easily in there. Despite trophies and performances not always backing this up, the German magazine say the quintet of England's major clubs is: Woolwich, Manchester United, Liverpool, Everton and Tottenham.

There's no room for Manchester City or Chelsea, two clubs who are still in this season's Champions League and who have won the Premier League, and in Chelsea's case the Champions League, in recent times.

SportBild are sure of their stance and say Tottenham have more supporters than Chelsea and add: 'Manchester City is also not as popular and has never been as important in English football as Tottenham.'

The reason given by the German magazine is that Tottenham have a great history of playing attacking football, and this has helped build their stature, and following, within the English game.

An opinion from Germany that will go down well with some football followers, but not so well with others.

Back
Top Bottom