Dortmund v Spurs- Ropey League Last 16.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't disagree. Some asked me who I consider as "world beating" teams. My definition is that you need a team that could realistically could win the Champions League. This side would maybe reach the quarter-finals, but I think they would stuggled against a topped Woolwich or us.

Fair enough but I disagree, they're superior even without Mario and Robert.

Tuchel has bought their game to a different level but Klopp had years to do what Poch has done in two.

Not doubting we'll get there but their foundations were laid when Ramos banned Huddlestone from Ketchup.

Light years ahead.

Fighting for fop four it is... This side won't win the league, totally outclassed in Europa Cup when it gets to the business end... and out of the domestic cups.

There is a risk we go all Spursy now.... If don't get our act together.

Sorry but that performance was fucking awful.

We need to smash Villa now...
Man United had plenty of title winning sides who crashed out of the CL with poor results. Going out of the EL at this stage doesn't mean we can't win the league. Personally I don't think we will, but it doesn't mean it's not possible for us. People base too much on one or two results.

Last edited:
Am I the only one that feels relieved it was only 3-0? Thought the first 5 mins were good. Thought if we can keep it to 1-0 and bring it back to The Lane I would have said that's OK. Praying for an away goal. Thank fuck it was only 3-0 nil.

Disappointed with the team we put out but Poch has crafted the best team I have seen since the 80's so no way does he get any spite from me for rotating for an EL game. Would be great if we could spank Villa at the weekend to make us all feel better, just when he fielded a weekend team against the scum, and we followed that up thrashing Citeh.

There is a sense of reality we need to take and that is including todays game if we were to go to the final in this competition it's 7 games to play! FA Cup is only 6 games from start to finish!! (But I admit i am one of those who would love to win this). Would have loved to have known where we are at with our best 11 against theirs.

We are 2nd in the League, with a 3 point advantage over 3rd place. We are the youngest team in the League so players gaining valuable experience for when we play in CL next year, which we will. The only positive tonight was Lamela, thought when he came on it was the first time they were put under genuine pressure, love the kid.

Only thing worst than the result tonight was a gobby cockney Liverpool supporting cunt in the pub, cheering every Dortmund goal as if he was a Woolwich supporter. Words were said, he bought me a pint, cunt.

Man United had plenty of title winning sides who crashed out of the CL with poor results. Going out of the EL at this stage doesn't mean we can't win the league. Personally I don't think we will, but it doesn't mean it's no possible for us. People base too much on one or two results.

I agree with what you said but this is the Europa Cup where we / Spurs have played in for many years now and to be honest, we have been very poor in this comp and we don't take it seriously enough.

I thought we would at least give it a go, I know we had injuries, but we are Spurs and winning cups was our strength.... Top four is good, but winning a cup is special.

5-0 win against Villa on the weekend and the only fans that have a right to still be mad are those that paid good money to travel to Dortmund.

Play the kids in the 2nd leg and focus on the remaining league games,
because Borussia Dortmund will do the same

that was painful to watch. We couldn't get anywhere near them. I hope the players analyse the video of that and see that this is how they could play if they keep working hard.
It made me realise what it must be like for fans of other sides when they play against us.
No time on the ball. Players just passing the ball around them like they are training cones.

We actually restricted them to very few clear cut chances, but their finishing was deadly.

100% should have had a penalty though at 1-0 down. That was a joke of a decision and our players should have appealed that one way more.

I've got no hope of a turnaround in the next leg, but maybe our smaller pitch might give us a bit more ability to get closer to them. I lost count of the amount of times they switched it over to their left wing with the guy in 20 yards of space.

Yeh that debate is dead, remember arguing earlier in the season how much a mistake that was and people saying that Chadli, Son and Niji are strikers somehow.
I'm not going to open up the debate, don't have the energy, but if we would have put out that same team but with Kane up top, the score would have been exactly the same IMO.

I agree with what you said but this is the Europa Cup where we / Spurs have played in for many years now and to be honest, we have been very poor in this comp and we don't take it seriously enough.

I thought we would at least give it a go, I know we had injuries, but we are Spurs and winning cups was our strength.... Top four is good, but winning a cup is special.

Agree but winning the league would be better than everything even if it is only a chance.

Let's be honest our First 11 is very good but we really need to buy in the summer. I would love to have a squad that can go after every competition but with being second and the lack of depth you can understand what Poch is thinking.

We really need two Dembeles, two Harry Kane and Reus as well would be nice.

I hear the same every year. Every year I hear that it's our best chance. That we're good enough to get through it. Every year it seems I have to explain that winning the EL isn't as remotely easy as people think. The teams in it have gotten consistently stronger as the years have gone on, and the latter stages are essentially a min-CL. We have a young and inexperienced side. We have no greater chance to win it than any other team in the latter stages. It's a knock-out competition. There can only be one winner. Yes, of course a trophy is special. But it's much harder to do.

I say every year when it comes to the EL that people need to be patient. The more we improve, the greater chances we'll have of winning a cup as the seasons go by. The priority is top four regularly. It has to be. The statistics show that those teams who regularly finish in the top four have a notably greater chance of getting to cup finals and winning than those who don't. We aren't the finished article yet in my opinion. We need to keep improving. If we do that then sooner or later we'll be top four regulars, and with that comes a greater chance of trophies. If we're top four regulars then sooner or later a trophy will come (and I don't mean the league cup).

I'm not going to open up the debate, don't have the energy, but if we would have put out that same team but with Kane up top, the score would have been exactly the same IMO.

Maybe we lost the midfield tonight, however Kanes hold up play, pressing is very very good. We don't look the same team when he ain't playing.

Hard to debate when you play against a side that good.

Although gutted as always when we lose, not too disapointed.
Losing 3 nil , does mirror the Spurs performances from old but we all know, we are better than that. Strange team chosen, almost welcoming the defeat..3 point win on Sunday, put us back on with the PL and right up LC backside. COYS...

The only chance we have next week is the fact that Borussia Dortmund are in a very similar position to us in the league except they are trying to chase down Bayern Munich.
Up 3-0 they will do the same as us and play a weakened team.
An early goal at the Lane and then the momentum swings back our way

Massively hard competition to win. Lost badly to a very good team. The lesson is that we need to stop benchmarking against the premier league also rans and see how we can get close to the top teams accross Europe. I think ( based on evidence ) that Poch can see that and do that, but we are not there yet. We have a long long way to go. But also, to be honest, I don't like seeing a Spurs team roll over. Which is what we did tonight

Agree but winning the league would be better than everything even if it is only a chance.

Let's be honest our First 11 is very good but we really need to buy in the summer. I would love to have a squad that can go after every competition but with being second and the lack of depth you can understand what Poch is thinking.

We really need two Dembeles, two Harry Kane and Reus as well would be nice.
I tend to disagree that we have a lack of depth generally. I think Son and Clinton need time to bed in. Look how long we gave to Lamela! It's just that our first 11 are more used to playing, with one or two changes, than what was tonight a relatively new combination.

That said, if there was one clear and obvious issue with the squad tonight (and in general) it was the lack of an alternative for Kane. We all knew it in August and we all know it now. It was a mistake for Levy and Poch to put all their eggs in one basket and not have a back up if Berahino did not happen. We need a second, experience out and out striker. Too much pressure is placed on players like Son and Chadli. They aren't 20 goal a season strikers. We needed to be in a position where games like this happen by we have a relatively fresh striker who can start in place of Kane and net a goal or two against the run of play.

Hello guys,
I am a supporter of the BVB. I am a bit sad that you guys did not bring your best squad to the table. Of course you guys want to win the league or qualify for CL, but for me games like these are the reason why we are fans of this fantastic sport after all, so I was disappointed. We in Germany love UK soccer, because of fans atmosphere and honesty and so everyone was really looking forward to this. Too bad that it turned out to be a bit boring. I don't take away too much and I honestly believe that your first squad would have put up a great fight. Maybe next year in the CL hopefully :)

Your fans were amazing though, LOTS of great atmosphere and at the end even congratulated the winner. This is true sportsmanship and everyone in the stadium really appreciated that. Turns out you guys are as great as everyone is saying. Anyway, I am looking forward to a visit in your stadium. Cu in the 2nd leg.

One question: if you stay in the top 4 of your league and qualify for CL, are you afraid that any of your top players leave the club? Or will you guys stay together?

Whilst an away goal woulda been nice, it's the hope that kills ya...
So maybe we are better off knowing our most likely fate tonight... and concentrating on the two league games separated by the "training ground exercise" of a 2nd leg...

Play the kids, try some new tactics... treat the death throes of the competition with the disdain it apparently deserves!

ALL OR NOTHING ON THE LEAGUE NOW!

Back
Top Bottom