Burnley (H) - Friday 5th January 8pm - FA Cup Journey Begins...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Morning. Great result last night - as in its a Cup game and we are through to the next round! Well done lads. (There’s a however coming…).

First home game I’ve watched on TV for a long time too (not on Autopay and missed the ST window for applications).

The lack of quality up front is a huge worry. As noted above:
Richarlison - nowhere near good enough. Too slow, can’t hold the ball up. Poor decision making and lacks composure in front of goal.
Kulusevski - as posters have said above, too predictable.
BJ - shows flashes but needs to be more consistent.
Gil - it’s not gonna happen for him in English football.

PEH & Skipp - yes it does look like they’ve been coached to play more ‘forward’. But a lot of this is a mix of instinct and innate desire. Sarr’s running power makes him a much different proposition going forward. Bissouma’s close touch and skill are a unique blend - we are gonna miss them both during AFCON.

The defence is holding up well. The back 4 were the best players on show last night. And we have reinforcements on the way.

In terms of the season as a whole - we need more goals and quality up front (without Son).

The Cup? Let’s have a nice easy home tie in the draw please 🙏 (it’ll be City away now I’ve typed that…)

In my opinion, it is our place as fans to get "fed-up" and voice discontent at our performances when we are playing poorly or the football is bad to watch. I can point to several results under all 3 of the previous managers where it's clear the players weren't giving their all, and frankly, on their salaries, if they aren't bleeding for the fucking shirt they don't deserve to be here. You can see Ange is breeding a meritocracy where you earn your place on the pitch and good performances are rewarded with minutes, especially in the case of Udogie where under any of our last 3 managers he wouldn't be getting a look-in and would be most likely earmarked for loan this month. As a result you can clearly see every single player on the pitch giving 100% even if they are playing poorly, in fact you can see the visible frustration in guys like Johnson and Richy when they play poorly, its why I'm finding it much easier to give those guys leeway than the likes of Dier who I've felt at several points has looked like he's going through the motions.
I don't care if the football we are playing is palatable to the players, we only need people who will put their all in regardless of how they feel about the manager and the system. Our problem for years is too many players that are brilliant when they fancy it and anonymous when they don't. Very few players are going missing ever in this team, and they all seem to be working on being a presence in every match. I know we have played poorly and shown naivety at times but I feel very good about where we are going under Ange. The quicker we purge out the players who have held us back for years the better.

Great post and something that hasn’t really been touched upon. Players rewarded with fairness, leave your egos back at home, don’t be a twat. All things that will improve a team and squad. I think Poch tried similar while other managers like Mourinho and conte ignored it. Ange gets it though, you can see that. Sometimes it’s as easy as being a decent person and your players will respond.

How many times did skipp touch the ball in the first half ?
Richy £60M Why ?
BJ I like him and want him to come good but,
Kulu why is it always turn back, cross it early sometimes
Gill a winger who will not cross and nearly always plays it back to were it came from ( just like PEH)

why can't the coaches teach PEH & Skipp to turn when they recieve the ball ? coaches should coach, it not just about putting out cones to runaround
I know big ange and his coaches hasnt improved any players and do fuck all in turning skipp into pirlo.
You can only improve a player so much and you cant teach PEH to play like biss or bentancur if its not in his locker

I know big ange and his coaches hasnt improved any players and do fuck all in turning skipp into pirlo.
You can only improve a player so much and you cant teach PEH to play like biss or bentancur if its not in his locker
we coached kids to be more comfeatable recieving the ball, these are Professionals its not that hard to coach a player to turn when under no or little pressure

Morning. Great result last night - as in its a Cup game and we are through to the next round! Well done lads. (There’s a however coming…).

First home game I’ve watched on TV for a long time too (not on Autopay and missed the ST window for applications).

The lack of quality up front is a huge worry. As noted above:
Richarlison - nowhere near good enough. Too slow, can’t hold the ball up. Poor decision making and lacks composure in front of goal.
Kulusevski - as posters have said above, too predictable.
BJ - shows flashes but needs to be more consistent.
Gil - it’s not gonna happen for him in English football.

PEH & Skipp - yes it does look like they’ve been coached to play more ‘forward’. But a lot of this is a mix of instinct and innate desire. Sarr’s running power makes him a much different proposition going forward. Bissouma’s close touch and skill are a unique blend - we are gonna miss them both during AFCON.

The defence is holding up well. The back 4 were the best players on show last night. And we have reinforcements on the way.

In terms of the season as a whole - we need more goals and quality up front (without Son).

The Cup? Let’s have a nice easy home tie in the draw please 🙏 (it’ll be City away now I’ve typed that…)
Great post

Glad that is over. Highlights are just the goal which was exceptional. Poor match but I can recall our previous cup runs and we got through with matches like this.
It's how you win cups!!
We're not going to blow everyone away in every round...

Hopefully we'll have a few more back by the 4th Round..

We win and advance to the next round while missing - what - 6 of our starting 11, including our two best attackers and two starting central defenders.

Makeshift team - so not surprising the performance wasn’t amazing but we had more possession, more shots and stayed in control for most of the game. On to the fourth round! But February can’t get here soon enough.

Great goal from Pedro last night, that was the difference between the teams in the end.
I do like the manager, he is so refreshing to hear and also his bravery with things.
The only thing that concerns me is, how we open and exposed we are during games, we made Burnley look like a good side with the amount of times they got through.
I think the adage of if you get 3 then we will get 6 isn't always going to work when teams bank up.
I don't think it's going to change much, even with additions to the back line, we don't seem or want to close games out, I think the plan is to keep trying to score goals, and hope the opposition doesn't take their chances.
But anyway, the club is in the next round, so another good draw would be nice 👍

Great goal from Pedro last night, that was the difference between the teams in the end.
I do like the manager, he is so refreshing to hear and also his bravery with things.
The only thing that concerns me is, how we open and exposed we are during games, we made Burnley look like a good side with the amount of times they got through.
I think the adage of if you get 3 then we will get 6 isn't always going to work when teams bank up.
I don't think it's going to change much, even with additions to the back line, we don't seem or want to close games out, I think the plan is to keep trying to score goals, and hope the opposition doesn't take their chances.
But anyway, the club is in the next round, so another good draw would be nice 👍
Were we that exposed with sarr and biss with legs in midfield and romero and vdv mopping everything up. No
Also we had 4 years of trying and failing to close out games. This is refreshing. Dippers, city, madrid etc never sit back on a goal lead

Were we that exposed with sarr and biss with legs in midfield and romero and vdv mopping everything up. No
Also we had 4 years of trying and failing to close out games. This is refreshing. Dippers, city, madrid etc never sit back on a goal lead
I've never seen those teams as exposed as we are, but then you are referring to very successful football clubs which we are not.
Time will tell, we have to give Ange the time and tools , to see what he can achieve.

I thought we played ok - totally bossed a team that’ were a dodgy last minute penalty away from getting a draw with 10 men at villa last week - cos it’s lowly Burnley we were expected to roll them over 5-0 despite son Maddison biss sarr romero missing with vdv an unused sub
Front 3 could/should have done better but a solid enough performance and fully deserved win

Winning when playing poor , I'll take that, also nice to know the team gets a nice little rest now before United with hopefully Madison and Romero back , good time to be a Yid!

I'm 'sorry', but your post read distinctly like you think Ange should have got more out of the players he had available tonight...... Add that to the fact that you constantly badger him over not playing kids whether it makes practical sense or not... Whether the kids in question fit the positions of need or not.

Consistent "I could do better energy" from the dude that posts critiques whether he's seen the match or not.
I’m saying the players need to do more. Ange cannot control their passing and shooting in the gane. The line up was strong on paper one we all wanted bar skipp / PEH. We could hand Gil on and played Kulu where skipp played. The players out there needed to do far better for the money invested in them!
As for the kids I and others arnt saying they need to start but just in some games give them some minutes. Take the bmouth game, Ange clearly has no time for dier but gives him 10 mins rather than say give Phillips time. It’s case like that we’d like to see some of the kids minutes. Would rather waste time giving mins to players like Dier who is leaving and is not wanted instead giving mins to players who are here for the next few years and are our future?

Back
Top Bottom