Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He can deem the players not good enough all he likes. The fact that our players are not world beaters has really shown Conte’s limitations in the role. How dare we expect him to be able to roll his sleeves up and actually improve them. In fact the longer this season has gone on it has become more and more apparent that it is probably more a case that Conte is not good enough for this club rather than the players.
In terms of committing now or buggering off as you put it I think it will be terrible for the club if he stays

Ok let's go through our first 11.
I'll start...Lloris. Past his best, always been poor at distribution and commanding his area. Now very suspect on decision making.
I'll do one more
Royal....nowhere near good enough but Conte has improved him.

Come on then....let's see who's actually good enough from the rest.

You have a go.

Yes.

Imagine the pressure of a combined CL and PL run in while trying to hold that squad together.

I know that resilience is a trait of the absolute elite, but I do reckon football could do with being a bit more flexible.
I understand periodisation for endurance sports (self train and study coaching methods) and they peak and recover in cycles. It’s impossible to be at your physical peak throughout, you have to rest and recover, then train hard to make improvements. Im adamant that over a season someone like Lane would benefit from having two or even three weeks off, mentally and physically and do more over the course of the season than playing at 90% week in, week out

100 percent it's been a poor experience but two CL qualifications from where we were under nuno and Jose would be I guess seen as a success for Levy and a acceptable for us once he has left and the anger dies down

If he gets 2x top 4 it deserves commending (far more so for last season than this)...

It wouldn't change my current outlook though.

The ratings have to be sensible . I am looking for quality not quantity.

Hahaha.......

So you choose what's "sensible" and filter the ratings according to your outlook; yet you were ridiculing the notion of a majority decision earlier.

#Objectivity

Yeah definitely, the system has gone to pot.

I wouldn't mind if Conte was abit more flexible but he's so stubborn it pisses me off.

When he was Chelsea manager didn't he go from 4 at the back to 3 and then it was all Rosie from then. Just try 3-5-2 or something. Just something that looks as though you are actually trying and give a fuck.

He’s not going to change it now though unfortunately. Forest are terrible away from home but I wouldn’t bet on us getting a win at all. We are so obvious and easy to play against.

It can’t be that much now. Surely they can come to an agreement?
If the contract is structured like most contracts it should only be whatever he has left on his deal and possibly a small compensation fee for being sacked. So definitely doable. Like 7-8 mil tops.

I've said it before that they are probably just looking to have a successor nailed down before they pull the plug. There's also a international break starting on the 20th. Which could be a perfect point to part ways I guess. Gives the new manager two weeks to work with the players that aren't away.

A 60m bid for Bastoni would have been a move toward a Conte signing. We went for a guy Barca were desperate to get off the wages as a placeholder for the year. We've signed Lenglet on a loan with no option to buy for one. That he was an error-prone, out of favour player at Barcelona. I'm sure Conte agreed to the signing.. none of us have much idea how involved Conte is on suggesting targets. In isolation it's not even a terrible move, but I can't imagine he arrived to the season rubbing his hands together thinking we'd sorted our lcb situation.
Bastoni was never going to leave, not for that amount of money. We'd have had to chuck 80+ million to Inter and 250K/wk to Bastoni to even start negotiations. At which point everyone would be moaning that we were going overboard for a player that wasn't worth that much. It was a no-win situation and the truth is, there was no gettable LCB in the summer of 2022 that was within our spending power.

One that we could have gone for is Bremer, who would have made our defense so much better, but not only did he want to stay an extra year to get his Italian citizenship, but Dier had come off a really good season, and everyone was saying Bremer was not good with the ball at his feet.

Gvardiol was crazy money and then who else was there available? Lenglet on loan was the best we could do to satisfy Conte.

Now if Conte, someone who wants ready-made players, was not our manager, we may have gone for a Badiashile and have gotten us a promising LCB that was gettable and could have played understudy to Davies (who has been very good) for a year or so before stepping up.

Back
Top Bottom