Tottenham Hotspur v Aston Villa (2nd November)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mason didn't really do much in the sending off. He shouldered him and said something to him which happens plenty of times in games. Benteke reacted badly (though probably not worthy of sending off), but every player knows that you can't put hands on players in modern football now. Mason didn't dive onto the ground or anything like some might have done. Lamela waving the imaginary card at the ref in the aftermath was the only part I found uncouth from our players.

Where are the Kane smileys Admin Admin ?
ByU1BhiIMAECy6-.png

I'm just gonna go right ahead and take credit for this win. I recently got a rather nice looking spurs pint glass out of which I was drinking during our 5-1 win in the Europa league. Unfortunately, I then managed to drop it before the loss to Newcastle. I then got a new spurs glass which was not as nice as the last one but still did the job. I called in sick today so I could drink out of it during the match which we eventually won! You're welcome. :freund:

Just a small note, I thought our fans were excellent tonight, I could hear our fans over theirs for the majority of the match despite us being cack, we should be more like that at home

Let's make no mistake about it, this team at the moment is average and we got super lucky tonight because the goals were pretty much our only chances after the red card.

Our senior strikers have about as much confidence in front of goal as you or I. Our two hopeful young stars are not in impressive form. Capoue has lost the plot. Despite Rose and Naughton's considerable improvements they are limited players and prone to mistakes. Kaboul is just ruined by injury and two Paulinho and Chiriches have been sent to the proverbial footballers gulag. Our summer signings barring Dier's first two games have not yet contributed in a positive fashion. Our two best players appear to be two academy players that were widely written off.

Having said all that, we have been desperately unlucky at times this year and it was nice to see us catch a break tonight. Our team fought all game today I thought which further underlines my opinion that we are just pretty average.

But despite it seeming like almost every player is out of form, we can't catch a break, and having a new manager; here we are on even points with Liverpool, one up on United and Everton and only three behind Woolwich. Plus we're still alive in all three cups.

We know from last season that Adebayor and Eriksen can do it when on form. Soldado and Lamela still continue to flash enough ability to not give up on them. Walker, who I would argue is our best outfield player is on the mend. We finally have a creative player from deep in Mason and one of Capoue, Dembele, Stambouli, or Bentaleb should be able to be a consistent partner for him. Plus, we have a man with Dolphin skin and the god Harry Kane banging them in.

Here I set out to make the point that this team is average dross and I've convinced myself midway through that just maybe we could pull it together and do something.

Fucking football. Fucking Tottenham. Make us dream of a team of Harry Kanes.

Last edited:
The success of Kane, Mason, Bentaleb, and to a less extent Townsend doesn't mean to me that we should stop trying to buy top notch foreign talent. Money and buying players in the modern game is of paramount importance, you can't succeed without it.

What the success of those academy players does mean to me is that we need to stop going into the transfer market players for depth roles, we need to be only after top class talent. You look at the purchase of the likes of Fazio, Stambouli, Davies, Chadli, Chiriches, Yedlin etc. and have to wonder what's the point? Also, let me clarify these guys might turn out to be very good but they were bought at the time as depth players. None of them hit the ground running and while they were all sub around 10m or less, they are probably on decently substantial wages. Those fees and wages add up and you have wonder if that money could have been used to lure one or two bigger talents as opposed to a bunch of depth that could have been filled by low wage academy players.

Would it really been so much worse to give the likes of Veljkovic, Oglivie, Carroll, Onomah, Pritchard, Oduwa, Fredericks, Winks, Ball, etc the chance to fill those back up roles. So far all of Townsend, Bentaleb, Kane, Mason Carroll, Caulker, and Livermore showed that they were at of the quality necessary to be backs up here. Plus, they almost all showed huge enthusiasm for the club which will likely manifest into leadership as they age.

Maybe the answer is just that our academy players are still a little too young. Our u21s are playing almost no one over 19 which is very rare. However, going forward if we sell off the likes of Paulinho, Chiriches, Dembele, Lennon, or any other non-starters, I think our youth players should get the chance to fill their spot. By having cheap back ups, it will allow us to invest more heavily into the starting 11 and bring real talent in rather than just a group of average players. Plus, having a home grown core would be great of the club. Worst comes to worst, they come in and play for a little while and we can sell them for substantial fees like we got for Livermore and Caulker. Best case you end with players like Kane, Mason, and Bentaleb who look like they have the potential to be in our side for a long time. Sometimes they just need a couple of chances to prove themselves.

Putting more faith in our youngsters will not only be good for the mentality and desire in the team but also in freeing up money for our top end transfer activity. It just makes sense economically. It is an effective way for us as a smaller sized financial team to cut some corners in terms of spending. Plus, do our prospects really change at all if Veljkovic had Chiriches's spot, Pritchard had Lennon's, Onomah in Paulinho's, Carroll's in Dembele's? We have players on low wages who are dying to break into the team and prove themselves. They need to be utilized better as depth options and it will benefit the club and squad as a whole.

Back
Top Bottom