Tottenham Hotspur v Aston Villa (2nd November)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Think what we're starting to see is that multimillion pound "Carlos Kicka Ball" signings are not the answer for Spurs, they maybe work for some other clubs but not Tottenham. The players emerging as the sort we need at the club are gritty, determined and understand the Spurs philosophy. Even better if these players are homegrown like Kane and Rose.

Mason didn't really do much in the sending off. He shouldered him and said something to him which happens plenty of times in games. Benteke reacted badly (though probably not worthy of sending off), but every player knows that you can't put hands on players in modern football now. Mason didn't dive onto the ground or anything like some might have done. Lamela waving the imaginary card at the ref in the aftermath was the only part I found uncouth from our players.

We were mostly shit the whole game.
But. Great to see us catch a break and grab a spawny win for once.

Not only that, but one goal was from a corner, the other a direct free kick AND the winner was scored by a player getting his first ever goal in the league.

#antispursy

Also I find it hard to condone mason's part in the sending off, but by god it's good to see someone who finally gets how to rile the opposition into making a rash mistake. We have been far too nice of late. Good to see the rest of the team rallying round him too. To be honest at first I thought soldado was the one who was going to get carded because he was going apeshit.

To be honest I am tired of us being the soft guys all the time, man city and the like getting dodgy penalties and red cards against our players. Don't mind us winding up the opposition and getting them to fuck up it's what other teams do to us. Would like us to be more ruthless.

Wonder if Dear Poch specifically instructed players to get physical with Benteke and draw a reaction. I know it's been done with Balotelli in the past.

Wonder if Dear Poch specifically instructed players to get physical with Benteke and draw a reaction. I know it's been done with Balotelli in the past.

Benteke looked angry in the first half so maybe nothing wrong in making the opposition loose their cool.

Haven't seen the game yet so won't give up an opinion yet, but I feared the worst when I heard we went 1-0 down and the radio commentary was definitely reporting that we were on the ropes. I do feel that we have a lot of players who have no fight when we go behind, so today's result was a surprise. I'm hoping that we carry this spirit onto the forthcoming games ..... and Harry gets his due reward by starting League games. What else does the boy have to do?

Jan is gone. Hopefully we can take Barcelona to the cleaners
His reaction to the Kane goal seems to disagree.
HopefulMellowFinwhale.gif

Mason didn't really do much in the sending off. He shouldered him and said something to him which happens plenty of times in games. Benteke reacted badly (though probably not worthy of sending off), but every player knows that you can't put hands on players in modern football now. Mason didn't dive onto the ground or anything like some might have done. Lamela waving the imaginary card at the ref in the aftermath was the only part I found uncouth from our players.

The success of Kane, Mason, Bentaleb, and to a less extent Townsend doesn't mean to me that we should stop trying to buy top notch foreign talent. Money and buying players in the modern game is of paramount importance, you can't succeed without it.

What the success of those academy players does mean to me is that we need to stop going into the transfer market players for depth roles, we need to be only after top class talent. You look at the purchase of the likes of Fazio, Stambouli, Davies, Chadli, Chiriches, Yedlin etc. and have to wonder what's the point? Also, let me clarify these guys might turn out to be very good but they were bought at the time as depth players. None of them hit the ground running and while they were all sub around 10m or less, they are probably on decently substantial wages. Those fees and wages add up and you have wonder if that money could have been used to lure one or two bigger talents as opposed to a bunch of depth that could have been filled by low wage academy players.

Would it really been so much worse to give the likes of Veljkovic, Oglivie, Carroll, Onomah, Pritchard, Oduwa, Fredericks, Winks, Ball, etc the chance to fill those back up roles. So far all of Townsend, Bentaleb, Kane, Mason Carroll, Caulker, and Livermore showed that they were at of the quality necessary to be backs up here. Plus, they almost all showed huge enthusiasm for the club which will likely manifest into leadership as they age.

Maybe the answer is just that our academy players are still a little too young. Our u21s are playing almost no one over 19 which is very rare. However, going forward if we sell off the likes of Paulinho, Chiriches, Dembele, Lennon, or any other non-starters, I think our youth players should get the chance to fill their spot. By having cheap back ups, it will allow us to invest more heavily into the starting 11 and bring real talent in rather than just a group of average players. Plus, having a home grown core would be great of the club. Worst comes to worst, they come in and play for a little while and we can sell them for substantial fees like we got for Livermore and Caulker. Best case you end with players like Kane, Mason, and Bentaleb who look like they have the potential to be in our side for a long time. Sometimes they just need a couple of chances to prove themselves.

Putting more faith in our youngsters will not only be good for the mentality and desire in the team but also in freeing up money for our top end transfer activity. It just makes sense economically. It is an effective way for us as a smaller sized financial team to cut some corners in terms of spending. Plus, do our prospects really change at all if Veljkovic had Chiriches's spot, Pritchard had Lennon's, Onomah in Paulinho's, Carroll's in Dembele's? We have players on low wages who are dying to break into the team and prove themselves. They need to be utilized better as depth options and it will benefit the club and squad as a whole.

Yeh really can't see the point off us buying average players when we have some talent in the youth team. If lloris and verts goes and we sell a lot of our misfits hope we buy 2-3 top quality players not 7 average players in the hope one or two might be ok.

Plus, do our prospects really change at all if Veljkovic had Chiriches's spot, Pritchard had Lennon's, Onomah in Paulinho's, Carroll's in Dembele's?
Again, fair points, but none of those players currently have spots to give up. I don't see Poch as a manager that will trust youth with his career. He might regret it.

Am i the only person who is letting this season go in order for the manager to get his way across, i don't think we'll be successful at all until the 3rd year of his reign (if he survives) did people honestly expect us to have instant success?

Am i the only person who is letting this season go in order for the manager to get his way across, i don't think we'll be successful at all until the 3rd year of his reign (if he survives) did people honestly expect us to have instant success?
No you're not alone. Interested though in the three year thing considering he hasn't had any real success anywhere yet?

Back
Top Bottom