Tottenham Hotspur v Aston Villa (2nd November)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

great day out yesterday, those scenes when the 2nd went in are what it's all about. and to think we were talking about leaving to go back to the pub after HT...

Not a bad way to work.

Buy top class, fill the squad out with youth talent.

If we shifted on the following we would save £300kpw yet the squad would be only slightly weaker in my opinion. Another CB and FW would cover the gaps.

Paulinho £50kpw
Kaboul £50kpw ?
Adebayor £150kpw ?
Naughton £25kpw ? (Yedlin coming in)
Chiriches £30kpw ?
Lennon £50kpw ?

Agreed, most of these players I don't think Poch rates, they take up our wage bill, if we are clever we could still get a good price for them. I say sell 7-8 of the deadwood, buy 2-3 top draw players and leave the rest of the positions for our hungry young players to fill.

I do like the concept of using academy players instead of signing £5m-£10m players for squad depth, but I don't think it'll make a huge difference to our ability to sign top players. I suspect money isn't the main issue; a lot of players would rather sign for City, United, Liverpool, Woolwich or Chelsea before us even if we were offering the same wage. That's a lot of clubs that get to take their pick before we pick up what we can.

Besides, Soldado, Eriksen, Lamela etc. are those players we were after. They are the expensive guys who we hoped we could sign, and did. Who better might we have picked up over the last year?

There was some god awful performances out there against Villa, I'm looking at you Kaboul, Capoue & Adebayor! Can see Kane and Stambouli coming in for the latter 2 but Kaboul is a serious problem for us at the moment. We need Fazio to absolutely boss the Greeks and demand a spot next to JV against Stoke and our (c) to be rightly given to Lloris

Over the moon we won. But I am still concerned about our performances in the league and the "Poch effect". After the defeats to WBA and Newcastle Poch said he was very angry etc. So you would think he bollocked the team and they was told what this club demands.

Yet, the team keep giving naff performances in the league. I bet if Man U and Chelski put in a shit performance under Fergie and Mourinio, the next game would be 100% better.

I do like the concept of using academy players instead of signing £5m-£10m players for squad depth, but I don't think it'll make a huge difference to our ability to sign top players. I suspect money isn't the main issue; a lot of players would rather sign for City, United, Liverpool, Woolwich or Chelsea before us even if we were offering the same wage. That's a lot of clubs that get to take their pick before we pick up what we can.

Besides, Soldado, Eriksen, Lamela etc. are those players we were after. They are the expensive guys who we hoped we could sign, and did. Who better might we have picked up over the last year?

Well players like Stones, Benteke, Barinhino I think would be useful additions, we still managed to sign pretty well known players like Lloris, Eriksen, Vertoghen. West Ham have proved this season if you have good scouting you can sign some top quality under the radar type players. That Kayoute who is now injured looks like a star in the making much as I hate the Hammers.

For me our main issue is the lack of cohesion between the team and Levy's transfer policy, I know he likes to buy low sell high but Poch must have the ability to build a team that he wants, half our players like Ade, Dembele and Pauliniho look ill suited to a quick pressing game, a clear out is needed and Poch must be the driver.

This is our failings at the moment. to establish a core?
This is the bed rock for all teams and its unacceptable that we have allowed it to rot away.
It's really easy for us to say that it was unacceptable, but it's really easy to have happen without realizing it until it's too late.

If you could take the core of our Champion's League team as King, Modric, Bale, Lennon, Van der Vart, with partial contributions from others in various seasons, then losing one to injury, one to a fizzled career, two to Real Madrid's tapping up and one to not wanting to fight for a place over 2-3 seasons makes it a very hard thing to notice. Also to replace. You can't find another Ledley King on the market, but Vertonghen was as good as you were likely to find. Modric wasn't so easy either, although Mason looks it now (did he 2 years ago, with injuries delaying the transition?). Bale, well, we spent 30 million on Lamela, and need to give him another couple of years before a verdict can really be delivered. Lennon has just seemed to fade away, it's quite odd really. And we bought Siggy to be VdV's back-up, and likely eventual replacement, but it turned out VdV didn't want an understudy, and off he went.

Add in the change in managerial styles as well and it's not hard to see how quickly things can change. Especially if we're comparing those guys at their peak to a new group of players finding their feet. We need to be patient, and commit to giving these players the time they need to develop so that they can become that core we need. These things are slow processes, which Sky doesn't allow us to have time for in their narrative.

Not a bad way to work.

Buy top class, fill the squad out with youth talent.

If we shifted on the following we would save £300kpw yet the squad would be only slightly weaker in my opinion. Another CB and FW would cover the gaps.

Paulinho £50kpw
Kaboul £50kpw ?
Adebayor £150kpw ?
Naughton £25kpw ? (Yedlin coming in)
Chiriches £30kpw ?
Lennon £50kpw ?
I would keep Naughton, just because we don't know when we might have Walker go down again, and if Yedlin really isn't ready to go at this level, we can't afford to rely on Dier again.

It's really easy for us to say that it was unacceptable, but it's really easy to have happen without realizing it until it's too late.

If you could take the core of our Champion's League team as King, Modric, Bale, Lennon, Van der Vart, with partial contributions from others in various seasons, then losing one to injury, one to a fizzled career, two to Real Madrid's tapping up and one to not wanting to fight for a place over 2-3 seasons makes it a very hard thing to notice. Also to replace. You can't find another Ledley King on the market, but Vertonghen was as good as you were likely to find. Modric wasn't so easy either, although Mason looks it now (did he 2 years ago, with injuries delaying the transition?). Bale, well, we spent 30 million on Lamela, and need to give him another couple of years before a verdict can really be delivered. Lennon has just seemed to fade away, it's quite odd really. And we bought Siggy to be VdV's back-up, and likely eventual replacement, but it turned out VdV didn't want an understudy, and off he went.

Add in the change in managerial styles as well and it's not hard to see how quickly things can change. Especially if we're comparing those guys at their peak to a new group of players finding their feet. We need to be patient, and commit to giving these players the time they need to develop so that they can become that core we need. These things are slow processes, which Sky doesn't allow us to have time for in their narrative.
For me its basic football. You build a team around an established core of players.

Building a core isn't necessarily utilising your best players? Its the players that are consistent, strong, motivate and rally the team when backs are against the proverbial wall. Parker, Mabbutt, Roberts, are good examples. At the moment we do not have a core of players that are consistently playing regardless of status. I believe its down to rotating the team too often-what is our best 11-who know?

All the top sides play as regular a team as possible and rotate a few players, we change the entire team?

Kaboul being captain makes him undroppable. You've got to imagine Pochettino is seriously regretting that decision now.
Dont agree. If the FBs are weak the CHs are vulnerable. Our CHs are good enugh, we need to stabilise our unpredictable FBs. Once Walker and Davis are established as regular FBs the CB will come into their own.

anyone got a link to watch the whole game back? I don't wanna see the game, just Kane's goal. My mate said he saw me on the box when it went in

edit: SinghYid SinghYid you're normally good for a video. help a brother out

Last edited:
Dont agree. If the FBs are weak the CHs are vulnerable. Our CHs are good enugh, we need to stabilise our unpredictable FBs. Once Walker and Davis are established as regular FBs the CB will come into their own.

I hope you're right, Kaboul was having a nightmare with Benteke yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom