Tottenham Hotspur v Aston Villa (2nd November)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You're right of course. I also don't dislike any of the players mentioned. If I was the manager I'd probably bring in Stambouli and Fazio next game over Kaboul and Capoue. It's more of a process over results thing. Buying depth isn't as important when we have this much young quality especially with our dearth of top end talent that could be bought with the additional money.

The thing is though mate we need to give a manager enough time to realize our youth teams are full of talent and the backing to know he can use them and not get crucified if we have a bad result. I also wouldn't write any of the new guys from this year or last off as bang average until they've been here atleast a season or 2 without the whole coaching staff and system getting continuously changed. Continuity and understanding breeds success not mass panic and negativity.

What you pay means nothing. He came from Netherlands and from an average team that needed money, of course he won't cost much. Bale cost us close to 8 million and look how he turned out.

16 year old Bale for £5m rising to £10m

24 year old international Chadli for £7m

Who was the bigger punt?

The thing is though mate we need to give a manager enough time to realize our youth teams are full of talent and the backing to know he can use them and not get crucified if we have a bad result. I also wouldn't write any of the new guys from this year or last off as bang average until they've been here atleast a season or 2 without the whole coaching staff and system getting continuously changed. Continuity and understanding breeds success not mass panic and negativity.

It doesn't have anything to do with Pochettino. It has to do with how Levy, Baldini, Broomfield, and whoever else should be viewing football. At this point it is quite clear that our academy players have the ample talent to serve as backup players. Thus, we should saving the money we spend on depth, to buy more expensive and highly touted players who should slot straight into the first 11.

Our top end talent is what is lacking, not depth. If we can save money on depth by using to academy products, then we can more easily address our bigger problem. I'm not writing off any of the players we've bought either. They might end up being good, I just don't think the process that went into buying those players is one we should continue to pursue.

Oh and.....

lPju108.png

Get that in the Kane thread!

It doesn't have anything to do with Pochettino. It has to do with how Levy, Baldini, Broomfield, and whoever else should be viewing football. At this point it is quite clear that our academy players have the ample talent to serve as backup players. Thus, we should saving the money we spend on depth, to buy more expensive and highly touted players who should slot straight into the first 11.

Our top end talent is what is lacking, not depth. If we can save money on depth by using to academy products, then we can more easily address our bigger problem. I'm not writing off any of the players we've bought either. They might end up being good, I just don't think the process that went into buying those players is one we should continue to pursue.

This might be unpopular - but the only reason our youth players seem capable of being backup players is the quality of our first team has decreased.

I just don't think the process that went into buying those players is one we should continue to pursue.

lol but we all really don't know what that process was other than selling Bale to get us the money

I would've loved us not doing that

there's a long list of prem proven quality players who took a season or 2 ta settle at clubs being run in a far more stable fashion than Tottenham

This might be unpopular - but the only reason our youth players seem capable of being backup players is the quality of our first team has decreased.

Just looked up three random benches from the 2011-2012 season.
vs West Brom: Gallas, Bassong, Sandro, Livermore, Pav, Defoe.
vs. Blackburn: Rose, Livermore, Sandro, Towsend, Defoe, Pav.
vs Villa: Nelsen, Parker, Livermore, Saha, Dos Santos, Defoe.

Today's Kane, Mason, and Bentaleb are equal if not better than almost everyone on those benches besides fit Sandro. They would have been a massive upgrade in depth. The argument that they are only involved in the first eleven because our talent has decreased is fair, but they would have been better depth than anything we had back then. You're always so harsh on our academy players... Mason and Kane have been the two bright spots of the season.

lol but we all really don't know what that process was other than selling Bale to get us the money

I would've loved us not doing that

there's a long list of prem proven quality players who took a season or 2 ta settle at clubs being run in a far more stable fashion than Tottenham

You're still missing the point, all those players could very well settle and come good. But in that same two year period, so could have a free academy player while we were free to spend on a better and more expensive striker, attacking midfielder, or center half.

I'm not talking about Eriksen, Lamela, Soldado etc. I'm talking about players that were bought almost exclusively for depth like Chiriches, Fazio, Stambouli, etc. What I'm saying is instead of buying two decent players in Chiriches and Fazio, we could have promoted Veljkovic to a depth role and bought a legitimate 20m first eleven center half. We should be aiming to buy cream of the crop talents and promote FREE youngsters to depth roles.

I can understand your perspective but I find it a bit overly nostalgic. We had 3 genuine stars at their peaks. The rest of the team wasn't too different to now.

We have a lot of guys who are 22-23 and who have a lot of potential, but they're not yet stars. Give Kane, Eriksen, Lamela, Mason and Bentaleb 2-3 years together with a coach who can guide their progress and we'll see a team better than the Champion's League bunch.

You're still missing the point, all those players could very well settle and come good. But in that same two year period, so could have a free academy player while we were free to spend on a better and more expensive striker, attacking midfielder, or center half.

I'm not talking about Eriksen, Lamela, Soldado etc. I'm talking about players that were bought almost exclusively for depth like Chiriches, Fazio, Stambouli, etc. What I'm saying is instead of buying two decent players in Chiriches and Fazio, we could have promoted Veljkovic to a depth role and bought a legitimate 20m first eleven center half. We should be aiming to buy cream of the crop talents and promote FREE youngsters to depth roles.

yea but how do you know those players were bought exclusively for depth

Chiriches bossed it against the chavs in europe and looked a proper talent

Fazio and Stambouli are just through the door and could both well go on to become Tottenham legends, I certainly wouldn't write them off as just average mugs bought for depth purposes. Fazio captained Sevilla to a European trophy this year and Stambouli looks a tough combative bastard with leadership qualities who was part of a history making montpellier side

you're jumping to conclusions which you could only know if you had a crystal ball

Last edited:

We can't afford the cream of the crop talents, and your championing of of our youth, whilst laudable, smacks of naivete. It's a romantic ideal, and sounds great in theory, but the teams we are up against have men playing for them, and some of them are hard men.

We can't afford the cream of the crop talents, and your championing of of our youth, whilst laudable, smacks of naivete. It's a romantic ideal, and sounds great in theory, but the teams we are up against have men playing for them, and some of them are hard men.
Some of our youth look up for it against those hard men. And they have skill to go with their steel.

Last edited:
Some of our youth look up for it against those hard men. And they have skill to go with gheir steel.
I don't doubt they have the skill, but when we've seen them they have been playing boys of their own age. I agree, we have some talented youngsters, but we need leaders in the 1st team to bring them along. Our players, at the moment, look like they are only out for themselves, and other players careers are the last things on their minds. In short, we are not a team. (Yet)

Back
Top Bottom