Tottenham Hotspur v Aston Villa (2nd November)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

JDK JDK

winks and onomah have great futures..

The recent success of our academy isn't talked about enough. If Kane and Mason make good on their early promise it will be borderline incredible. We've made twenty million in sales with the big ones being Livermore and Caulker for 8m each, Kane, Mason, and Bentaleb look like they could be here for a long time, Townsend while frustrating is still playing for England at 23 and we could sell him for north of 10m if he doesn't make it. Carroll has a premier league loan, and Pritchard is doing well in the lower levels. Plus, numerous people seem to think our current academy teams are the most talented in recent memory. Best could be yet to come.

Besides Southampton, who can match that in the league? No one I can think of.

The recent success of our academy isn't talked about enough. If Kane and Mason make good on their early promise it will be borderline incredible. We've made twenty million in sales with the big ones being Livermore and Caulker for 8m each, Kane, Mason, and Bentaleb look like they could be here for a long time, Townsend while frustrating is still playing for England at 23 and we could sell him for north of 10m if he doesn't make it. Carroll has a premier league loan, and Pritchard is doing well in the lower levels. Plus, numerous people seem to think our current academy teams are the most talented in recent memory. Best could be yet to come.

Besides Southampton, who can match that in the league? No one I can think of.
What success mate? Are you talking about sales or results? Genuinely interested.

What success mate? Are you talking about sales or results? Genuinely interested.

We've made 20m in sales, have four genuine players under the age of 23 around the first team already, a couple more out on loan who could come back, and the development sides are full of talent. That's about as good as you can ask for in modern football.

Chadli is still a disappointment to me. Got no bottle when needed. He's not the only one though. Until we get players who wear the cockerel on their heart with pride then we will be ridiculed when competing with the also rans let alone the big boys. Again we look short of prem quality and guts. Rose, Naughton, even Verts don't cut it IMO. Very lucky today.

Chadli has 5 goals in 12 games from midfield this season, what the fuck do you want from the guy?
do you look at him play and think that he is doing something profound in terms of general play?
Granted the goals are great to see, but without them, I think he's pretty ordinary. Much like Dempsey was.
But hey - if he keeps sticking them away, then he's worth his slot in the side.

Is it me or do teams seem to play the long ball against us. It seems to create so many problems for us. We always seem to be running at our own goal, with panic. It should be such an easy thing to deal with but we struggle?

You look at the purchase of the likes of Fazio, Stambouli, Davies, Chadli, Chiriches, Yedlin etc. and have to wonder what's the point? Also, let me clarify these guys might turn out to be very good but they were bought at the time as depth players. None of them hit the ground running and while they were all sub around 10m or less, they are probably on decently substantial wages. Those fees and wages add up and you have wonder if that money could have been used to lure one or two bigger talents as opposed to a bunch of depth that could have been filled by low wage academy players.

Would it really been so much worse to give the likes of Veljkovic, Oglivie, Carroll, Onomah, Pritchard, Oduwa, Fredericks, Winks, Ball, etc the chance to fill those back up roles. So far all of Townsend, Bentaleb, Kane, Mason Carroll, Caulker, and Livermore showed that they were at of the quality necessary to be backs up here. Plus, they almost all showed huge enthusiasm for the club which will likely manifest into leadership as they age.

Maybe the answer is just that our academy players are still a little too young. Our u21s are playing almost no one over 19 which is very rare. However, going forward if we sell off the likes of Paulinho, Chiriches, Dembele, Lennon, or any other non-starters, I think our youth players should get the chance to fill their spot. By having cheap back ups, it will allow us to invest more heavily into the starting 11 and bring real talent in rather than just a group of average players. Plus, having a home grown core would be great of the club. Worst comes to worst, they come in and play for a little while and we can sell them for substantial fees

Putting more faith in our youngsters will not only be good for the mentality and desire in the team but also in freeing up money for our top end transfer activity. It just makes sense economically. It is an effective way for us as a smaller sized financial team to cut some corners in terms of spending. Plus, do our prospects really change at all if Veljkovic had Chiriches's spot, Pritchard had Lennon's, Onomah in Paulinho's, Carroll's in Dembele's? We have players on low wages who are dying to break into the team and prove themselves. They need to be utilized better as depth options and it will benefit the club and squad as a whole.

Think Davies and Yedlin have to be considered exceptions in that list due to their age - they might be depth at present but they've been bought to be 1st choice in a couple of years (not necessarily saying they will be)

do you look at him play and think that he is doing something profound in terms of general play?
Granted the goals are great to see, but without them, I think he's pretty ordinary. Much like Dempsey was.
But hey - if he keeps sticking them away, then he's worth his slot in the side.

Right place at the right time is 75% of what it takes to do well at the highest level.

Think Davies and Yedlin have to be considered exceptions in that list due to their age - they might be depth at present but they've been bought to be 1st choice in a couple of years (not necessarily saying they will be)

This is very off subject, but I would really like to see Yedlin get moved forward from RB and into more of a box to box role with emphasis on defense. Having someone in that position that is fast enough to track back to cover the gap left by Walker would be immense.

Is it me or do teams seem to play the long ball against us. It seems to create so many problems for us. We always seem to be running at our own goal, with panic. It should be such an easy thing to deal with but we struggle?
If we play a high line and do not put any pressure on the guy with the ball every team will do that all season.

Play badly and win - play well and lose
They looked to be targeting Kaboul today, and his heading out of defence was dreadful. Maybe other teams have the same opinion of our team as we do?

Back
Top Bottom