New Manager Poll

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your pick as new manager?

• Laudrup

Votes: 33 13.1%
  • Klinsmann

Votes: 21 8.4%
  • Capello

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Hoddle

Votes: 23 9.2%
  • Redknapp

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • Luis Enrique

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Sherwood/Freund combo

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Another PL manager

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • Hiddink

Votes: 49 19.5%
  • Anyone else

Votes: 58 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can't get on board with Capello, primarily because of this:

S7ofOqP.jpg

I'm not looking for a reaction

I don't know mate. Personally he is not my first choice manager, but who knows how good or bad he will become? My point is that you "seemed" to have dismissed him after one game. I think that is unfair.

For me he is not a manager, he is a caretaker which is a very different thing. Hence I have different expectations/demands/call it what you will.

A caretaker is by definition short term, and about nothing more than getting some results over a few games. Its a short and simple job. Its not about radical change of the team and system, its just about changing enough to get a result. Most often, generally speaking (and look around at others, youll know what I mean) keep it tight, keep it simple. Take the best bits of what the prior manager did and work with it.

Its not about rebuilding the engine, its about topping up the fuel and cleaning the plugs to keep it running...

When a full time manager comes in it is up to him to assess and change the system as he sees fit, thats HIS job. Not the caretakers.

So what did I see of Sherwood?

1 days preparation. Good sense would dictate "keep it simple" and dont change to much. Spurs have been well set up to control games (a few obvious exceptions) and have struggled to score. Take the good, work with the bad - perhaps drop the highline to create space for the forward players? (something AVB was widely credited for doing a few matches ago).

Or, throw away 18+ months of work and try to implement an entirely new system? Yes, he chose the second option. I think our "football man" did the most obviously wrong thing he could have, and did, IMO, completely overstep the boundaries of his role (or at least all good common sense associated with it.)

Secondly "I know a way to play" he says, which suggests what we saw against West Ham, what he threw away AVBs work to try and achieve in a day was in evidence that night. Which was, wide open, weak, ineffective and about 15 years out of date. Sigurdsson in CM in a 442? Really?! It was obvious from the team sheet it was a shit selection and formation. And despite all the excitement of people watching the first 20 minutes what actually happened?
West Ham sat back, we ran at them as invited, we did not make their keeper work once in our best spell of the game, we ran out of ideas and from there on it just got worse (in the end Lloris was by far the busier keeper, so much for our supposed improvement in attack). Im not sure AVB would have won the game, but for me the result was a foregone conclusion at 7.30 when I saw the sheet, I believe AVB wouldnt have been so easily undone.

Thats the problem I have with him. I believe he made fundamental mistakes, which suggest he is not the man to do any sort of job for us in a management capacity. Had he lost by being sensible, logical, I would be very supportive of him. Had he shown some nous, I would be very supportive of him. As it is, I dont think he could have got it any more wrong, hence my "dismissing" of him after one game.

I want a proper manager in ASAP.

Of course, tomorrow I also want nothing more than for Sherwood to get it absolutely spot on and shove my words down my throat. If he wins, Spurs win, we win.

Twitter is carnage.

Too absurd seeing people who slagged AVB for lack of experience are all to happy to give Sherwood (and Freund for the matter) their "deserved chances".

Deserved why, exactly? For being bang on mediocre players in the worst periods of the latter 20 years of Spurs?

Sacking AVB will truly be taking the piss if we gamble on someone, whoever, with no (zero, nada, nil, ingen, kein, "0") experience in football managment. We may as well appoint Jamie Redknapp & Michael Owen.

Or two random TFC posters, for the matter.

Lots of people are idiots and have been against AVB since the beginning. They are enjoying the moment of whatever. But ultimately we just need to ignore them and get behind Sherwood regardless. We should be behind him simply because he is our manager and for no other reason.

If we take out our rage at AVB being fired on Sherwood or whoever else we may hire than we are no better than the people who clung to Redknapp while slagging off AVB from the beginning. I'll remember AVB very fondly but I'm fully behind Sherwood now. Only thing to do.

These civil wars that happen within the fanbase are a big reason why the atmosphere are shit. I loved AVB but holding a vendetta against Sherwood is just another way to guarantee we'll end up in the same stupid bickering spot as we were before. We have to be better than the people who tried to undermine AVB at every turn. It is what is best for the club and that's what matters.

Please can anyone else see Frank De Boer the best on the list? won 3 Ajax titles which means not much but means he has taken them as far as he can, knows everyone, can play spursy, knows Eriksen and Jan personally who we should be building team around, for me he is the one - better than anyone else on list as can be a long term project more vitality and personality than AVB but still technical in his approach

Look at this - even has the Europa backdrop - perfect
cq5dam.thumbnail.490.338.margin.png

Top of the list for me.
1. Great playing CV
2. He is early into his manager career, but has been fantasic in it. Beat Barca the other week with an "on paper" inferior team.
3. Like that his started in management as a youth coach and at one of the best youth set-ups in the world. Ability to get the best out of players COACH THEM!
4. 4-3-3 advocate TOTAL FOOTBALL philosophy
5. Europa and CL experience
6. Young (the romantic notion of stability)
7. Works with DOF

Only negative I can think of would be PL experience, but does that matter?

Please can anyone else see Frank De Boer the best on the list? won 3 Ajax titles which means not much but means he has taken them as far as he can, knows everyone, can play spursy, knows Eriksen and Jan personally who we should be building team around, for me he is the one - better than anyone else on list as can be a long term project more vitality and personality than AVB but still technical in his approach

Look at this - even has the Europa backdrop - perfect
cq5dam.thumbnail.490.338.margin.png

Last edited:
Capello for me as he's got a good relationship with Baldini already and will proper lay into these under performing pansies we got wearing the shirt if they don't shape up sharpish. Hiddink would do too. We've got alot of big egos in our ranks who need to be put in there place.

Why the hell are people wanting Capello? Typical, negative, Italian football - it goes against everything this club stands for. Pochettino is also just an AVB mark II. Yes he's doing ok now but he plays exactly the same formation and high-line as AVB and I'm yet to see a plan B yet. Wait til things go wrong - will Pochettino have a backup? Also both of these guys have a poorer grasp of English than AVB did.

We want a flair manager who understands English football, understands the Premier League and most importantly understands Tottenham Hotspur. I understand the reservations about Hoddle but if ever somebody deserves a second chance (this time with a far superior squad of players and an older, wiser head on his shoulders) it's this man. One of the club's greatest servants.

Everyone bashing Sherwood before he has even picked a team. He's in charge at the moment lets see how he gets on. Just because he isn't a big name manager doesn't mean he's useless.. If he can get us playing some decent football and the results to go with it, I have no problem with him.

Perhaps Levy really does have unshakeable faith in Sherwood to see out the season if necessary. Maybe even exceed expectations to the point when he could be given he job permanently.

If he has seriously sacked AVB to let Sherwood have a go for the rest of the season then he is more mental than i thought.

Capello...but if people didn't like the football under AVB then I think that they will be suicidal.

Thing is, with the powerhouse CM we have already assembled, wouldn't hiring Capello be a case of making the cap fit? (no pun intended!!)
I doubt the style would change much, but the attitude might!

I think Timmy will be given a chance to make the job his own. Levy obviously loves him, as do the other coaches. He comes across as pretty bright, so let's fucking back him to the hilt. I know I will be, come Wednesday.

Back
Top Bottom