New Manager Poll

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your pick as new manager?

• Laudrup

Votes: 33 13.1%
  • Klinsmann

Votes: 21 8.4%
  • Capello

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Hoddle

Votes: 23 9.2%
  • Redknapp

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • Luis Enrique

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Sherwood/Freund combo

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Another PL manager

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • Hiddink

Votes: 49 19.5%
  • Anyone else

Votes: 58 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I love this shit. It's like what TIMMY said in his press conference "I know what the fans want".

People who talk about what the fans want have never spoken to the fans. Go into any match thread on this forum and there's massive differences between what one fan wants and another wants. In fact, there are a few on here that do complete about turns in the space of two fucking pages!

Nobody knows what the fans want, because we don't even know.
Of course we don't all want the same thing. To suggest otherwise would be nonsense. We're not clones. Every fan of every club wants something slightly different.

My point is that AVB has been (in general) slated on here because of his style of play, not his results. Quite a few people have said they'd rather lose in style than win dirty.

I know what I want - good football. And with that, the results usually follow. I think AVB would have delivered this in the long term but hey ho, we'll never know. A Capello-esque style of play has no plan B, I suppose in some ways AVB's didn't at the point of his sacking. We looked one-dimensional, and persistence with that dimension didn't pay off often enough.

So - back to my original point - "the brand of football Spurs fans demand" was a generalisation of opinions on here, and also given so many fans have booed us this season I can only assume they are after something more exciting as well.

Which leads me full circle - Capello & Laudrup have a huge % of votes in this thread, yet they have no proof they will offer a better style of play than AVB. Capello has always played dull football, and Laudrup has taken Swansea backwards in my opinion this season.

I'm not looking for a reaction

I don't know mate. Personally he is not my first choice manager, but who knows how good or bad he will become? My point is that you "seemed" to have dismissed him after one game. I think that is unfair.

For me he is not a manager, he is a caretaker which is a very different thing. Hence I have different expectations/demands/call it what you will.

A caretaker is by definition short term, and about nothing more than getting some results over a few games. Its a short and simple job. Its not about radical change of the team and system, its just about changing enough to get a result. Most often, generally speaking (and look around at others, youll know what I mean) keep it tight, keep it simple. Take the best bits of what the prior manager did and work with it.

Its not about rebuilding the engine, its about topping up the fuel and cleaning the plugs to keep it running...

When a full time manager comes in it is up to him to assess and change the system as he sees fit, thats HIS job. Not the caretakers.

So what did I see of Sherwood?

1 days preparation. Good sense would dictate "keep it simple" and dont change to much. Spurs have been well set up to control games (a few obvious exceptions) and have struggled to score. Take the good, work with the bad - perhaps drop the highline to create space for the forward players? (something AVB was widely credited for doing a few matches ago).

Or, throw away 18+ months of work and try to implement an entirely new system? Yes, he chose the second option. I think our "football man" did the most obviously wrong thing he could have, and did, IMO, completely overstep the boundaries of his role (or at least all good common sense associated with it.)

Secondly "I know a way to play" he says, which suggests what we saw against West Ham, what he threw away AVBs work to try and achieve in a day was in evidence that night. Which was, wide open, weak, ineffective and about 15 years out of date. Sigurdsson in CM in a 442? Really?! It was obvious from the team sheet it was a shit selection and formation. And despite all the excitement of people watching the first 20 minutes what actually happened?
West Ham sat back, we ran at them as invited, we did not make their keeper work once in our best spell of the game, we ran out of ideas and from there on it just got worse (in the end Lloris was by far the busier keeper, so much for our supposed improvement in attack). Im not sure AVB would have won the game, but for me the result was a foregone conclusion at 7.30 when I saw the sheet, I believe AVB wouldnt have been so easily undone.

Thats the problem I have with him. I believe he made fundamental mistakes, which suggest he is not the man to do any sort of job for us in a management capacity. Had he lost by being sensible, logical, I would be very supportive of him. Had he shown some nous, I would be very supportive of him. As it is, I dont think he could have got it any more wrong, hence my "dismissing" of him after one game.

I want a proper manager in ASAP.

Of course, tomorrow I also want nothing more than for Sherwood to get it absolutely spot on and shove my words down my throat. If he wins, Spurs win, we win.

Fair enough. At the end of the day I like @ Lister Lister and his posts, yours are just meh.....

I didnt say I didnt like Lister or his posts...like you, I very interested to know why someone who obviously has a brain can jump the gun so quickly regarding TS.

I dont take "whats your definition of a caretaker" as relevant, or indeed an answer.

He's not obliged to answer me, granted, but just makes it look like he has no rationale.

For me he is not a manager, he is a caretaker which is a very different thing. Hence I have different expectations/demands/call it what you will.

A caretaker is by definition short term, and about nothing more than getting some results over a few games. Its a short and simple job. Its not about radical change of the team and system, its just about changing enough to get a result. Most often, generally speaking (and look around at others, youll know what I mean) keep it tight, keep it simple. Take the best bits of what the prior manager did and work with it.

Its not about rebuilding the engine, its about topping up the fuel and cleaning the plugs to keep it running...

When a full time manager comes in it is up to him to assess and change the system as he sees fit, thats HIS job. Not the caretakers.

So what did I see of Sherwood?

1 days preparation. Good sense would dictate "keep it simple" and dont change to much. Spurs have been well set up to control games (a few obvious exceptions) and have struggled to score. Take the good, work with the bad - perhaps drop the highline to create space for the forward players? (something AVB was widely credited for doing a few matches ago).

Or, throw away 18+ months of work and try to implement an entirely new system? Yes, he chose the second option. I think our "football man" did the most obviously wrong thing he could have, and did, IMO, completely overstep the boundaries of his role (or at least all good common sense associated with it.)

Secondly "I know a way to play" he says, which suggests what we saw against West Ham, what he threw away AVBs work to try and achieve in a day was in evidence that night. Which was, wide open, weak, ineffective and about 15 years out of date. Sigurdsson in CM in a 442? Really?! It was obvious from the team sheet it was a shit selection and formation. And despite all the excitement of people watching the first 20 minutes what actually happened?
West Ham sat back, we ran at them as invited, we did not make their keeper work once in our best spell of the game, we ran out of ideas and from there on it just got worse (in the end Lloris was by far the busier keeper, so much for our supposed improvement in attack). Im not sure AVB would have won the game, but for me the result was a foregone conclusion at 7.30 when I saw the sheet, I believe AVB wouldnt have been so easily undone.

Thats the problem I have with him. I believe he made fundamental mistakes, which suggest he is not the man to do any sort of job for us in a management capacity. Had he lost by being sensible, logical, I would be very supportive of him. Had he shown some nous, I would be very supportive of him. As it is, I dont think he could have got it any more wrong, hence my "dismissing" of him after one game.

I want a proper manager in ASAP.

Of course, tomorrow I also want nothing more than for Sherwood to get it absolutely spot on and shove my words down my throat. If he wins, Spurs win, we win.

Well said, sums up my problems with him perfectly.

Funnily enough, you love to answer my posts, but still have'nt answered Oreally

Ok, maybe I'll have better luck:

So as far as you are concerned, he is done! 24 hours into in potential managerial career?
Your mind is made up? Please @ Lister Lister tell me you are not that short sighted.

If someone quotes me I am inclined to answer. Ask youself, of the exchanges we have how many are initiated by me?

I will not be answering your question, I did my best last night when as usual you were doing your best to miss any point anyone made to you.

Almost every single one begins with you quoting me, then quoting every response like a dog chasing a bone.

If I can help it I try to avoid you these days.

I do try, but then you keep quoting me.

Or doing that very selective argument/straw man building thing you do which basically destroys any form of debate. Very frustrating.

I do try, but then you keep quoting me.

Or doing that very selective argument/straw man building thing you do which basically destroys any form of debate. Very frustrating.

Try making a final post, that doesnt require me to defend myself and respond.

I'll leave it at this: I respect you as a poster, but feel like you judge my tone as something its not. My fault I guess though, but I just speak like this, at least when I type.
If we cant debate with respect, then, as it seems you would prefer, lets not debate at all.

This is not a dig, or trying to be funny, or trolling etc

Lets just avoid eachother then. Personally, I think thats a shame.

Try making a final post, that doesnt require me to defend myself and respond.

I'll leave it at this: I respect you as a poster, but feel like you judge my tone as something its not. My fault I guess though, but I just speak like this, at least when I type.
If we cant debate with respect, then, as it seems you would prefer, lets not debate at all.

This is not a dig, or trying to be funny, or trolling etc

Lets just avoid eachother then. Personally, I think thats a shame.

I have no issue with your views, at all. I dont judge someone on whether or not they agree with me.

I have issue with the way you present them. Genuinely I think you have had a bit of an episode recently, where you have gone from being a poster quite robust in his style (no problem for me) to being an attention seeking troll.

I do mean no offence either, its purely observation.

You seem to have adopted a deliberately argumentative tone, chasing people through thread after thread picking at them. Yet you pick one line, or one phrase in a post, take it out of context and flog it to death.

If I thought for a moment you had taken the time to understand the point being made before responding you would have my full respect. But it appears as by design that you are just annoying the crap out of people, hence my telling you are a troll/are trolling. Its the very definition of it, spamming the board picking arguments that do not exist.

Take a bit of time to think about it. You might think I have a point, perhaps revise your approach a bit and find a much easier/happier existence here. You might think Im talking crap, as is fair, but at least try and digest it.

Im not the only person to have said as much, am I? Perhaps there is something to that...

Otherwise yes, stop quoting me and Ill do the same.

Ex GG top tier cunts in cunt-off shocker. Yes, it takes one to see one and I have no problem admitting instead or this holier than thou bullshit from the big worm here.

Ex GG top tier cunts in cunt-off shocker. Yes, it takes one to see one and I have no problem admitting instead or this holier than thou bullshit from the big worm here.

I believe neither Sammy or I were perma banned from there.

Sammy has his moments, but Im sure is a decent enough guy. You on the other hand are forum cancer.

I love this shit. It's like what TIMMY said in his press conference "I know what the fans want".

People who talk about what the fans want have never spoken to the fans. Go into any match thread on this forum and there's massive differences between what one fan wants and another wants. In fact, there are a few on here that do complete about turns in the space of two fucking pages!

Nobody knows what the fans want, because we don't even know.
This is probably the best post in the last week

Back
Top Bottom