Glahsgee Reigngurrs vurses Tawtnum Hawtspurgh! (Thu'Wulter Tull Meymurial Cupa)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's insane forming an opinion on any of our signings (or any of our players for that matter) after that.

Perisić had little to do and he did it OK. Bissouma had a bit more to do and he was OK. Spence had little to do and he did OK and in one case he did well. Lenglet had little to do and he did OK. Forster had little to do and he did OK. Richarlison had more to do and looked more "incorporated" and basically did OK.

It was a more or less meaningless pre-season friendly and everyone did OK. I'm mystified as to how people are drawing any kind of conclusions from the game.
You did more than OK with that post.

It's insane forming an opinion on any of our signings (or any of our players for that matter) after that.

Perisić had little to do and he did it OK. Bissouma had a bit more to do and he was OK. Spence had little to do and he did OK and in one case he did well. Lenglet had little to do and he did OK. Forster had little to do and he did OK. Richarlison had more to do and looked more "incorporated" and basically did OK.

It was a more or less meaningless pre-season friendly and everyone did OK. I'm mystified as to how people are drawing any kind of conclusions from the game.
I thought Forster did a brilliant impression of a very slow, arthritic old man, when placing and replacing the ball for a free kick, late on in the game. Amidst the deafening chorus of boos, a cheeky little smile played across his face. I liked that bit.

Re Hearts I pointed this out a few years back. Their manager got poached by and he walked out for....MK Dons.

It's not the clubs' fault, the Scottish Leagues get buttons in terms of TV revenues. The Old Firm matches must get sold around the anglophone world so the Scots and esp Irish diasporas get their fix, but I reckon that most watch on streams.

It's hard now to recall how big Scottish football was at one stage. The late 60's for instance:

1967 - Celtic win the European Cup . Incredible, all the players bar one grew up around the corner from Parkhead. The exception grew up 30 miles away;

1967 - Scotland beat WC winners England 3-2 at Wembley;

1970 - Celtic knock Leeds out of Euro Cup semi. The crowd? 137,000. Had to hold it at Hampden.

1937 - Scotland v England at Hampden, 149,000.

1937 - Scottish cup Final Celtic v Aberdeen, 147,000

1939 - Rangers v Celtic, 118,000, record League crowd

Not just professional football.

The Junior Cup? 1951 - 77,000 went to Petershill v Irvine Meadow

In the late 1980's the game had an artificial boost when English clubs were banned from Europe, Rangers and Celtic bought players from English clubs. Temporary of course.

TV has created such a gap now between the English and Scottish leagues. The EPL has been a phenomenal financial success. SPL only has Rangers and Celtic, a poor man's Spanish League. The Old Firm's only chance would be to join the English leagues and wait till they could get promotion to the EPL, but it won't happen. If they could, they could eventually compete for top 4 and titles, the size of their respective fan bases is enormous.

Final note on those massive crowds in the cash-only era. Clubs would routinely under-report the size of crowds so as to evade tax.

Some of the of the old Hampden photos are insane. I would love to time travel and experience those crowds.

992424667cb377eaa8760fcd5e954c5e--football-stadiums-the-picture.jpg

Hampden.jpg

Dxc0sZ5X0AIOxNk.jpg

Some of the of the old Hampden photos are insane. I would love to time travel and experience those crowds.

Hampden.jpg

Dxc0sZ5X0AIOxNk.jpg
Great pics, cheers for that.

I worked with a guy who'd been at the Celtic Leeds tie (I believed him too). Could hardly move in the crowd, usual stuff.

Most people took newspapers into those huge crowds. Wonder why?!?!?!

:conteshock: :lamelaaghh::hugoshock::dierno:

Hampden.jpg

Dxc0sZ5X0AIOxNk.jpg
...and fortunately, PC McTavish was present to keep the crowd in order (pic 3, lower left)

Last edited:
Bit of trivia:

Summer 1967, Spurs the FA cup winners played a friendly at Hampden v Celtic, who'd won the lot, European Cup included. 3-3. Highlights are on youtube. Pat Jennings had a very off day and was at fault for the goals.

It was to commemorate Queens Park centenary. They were THE Scottish club in those years, far more successful than Celtic and Rangers. They provided the captain for Scotland's National team when they beat England 5-1 and 6-1, still England's heaviest defeat of all time. Andrew Watson, the world's first black international footballer.

Great pics, cheers for that.

I worked with a guy who'd been at the Celtic Leeds tie (I believed him too). Could hardly move in the crowd, usual stuff.

Most people took newspapers into those huge crowds. Wonder why?!?!?!

:conteshock: :lamelaaghh::hugoshock::dierno:
Having a paper on you was quite normal in those days. It was the olden-days equivalent of having your mobile phone.

Was up there from the Friday. Plenty of Chelsea out and about Friday night.
Was lively on the Saturday on the long road towards there ground with us and Aberdeen taking it to them.

Wurst mutch threeed evurr!
I cannae* buleeve yat'as'nee bin dun yaeyt!

Battley Bruttun nae hen?

Thrrree-Fir-Thrrree fawmeyshun....

Huooogaw Lawrrreess
Mutt Dawhrty
Urik Dieeeir
Duvinsun Sunchez
Clument Lunyeet
Rrrrayun Sussinyon
Ulivur Skupp
Iv Bussoouma/Puppay Muttarr Sarrr
Richi Laa (!)
Hung Mun Sawn
Hurry Kene

Haw da ye thunk uts gunnae wurk oot?

*Thank ye wee man sudoku
I haven't logged in for a couple of weeks and now people are typing in some weird American accent. What the hell did I miss?

Back
Top Bottom