Glahsgee Reigngurrs vurses Tawtnum Hawtspurgh! (Thu'Wulter Tull Meymurial Cupa)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As i´ve said earlier! I have a hard time thinking Conte would be satisfied with either Doherty, Emerson, or Spence as starting RWB´s

Yeah I can’t imagine he’s ever thought he’d want any of those three in his team. We’ll have complaints virtually every game again this season about our wide players not being good enough again.

only watched the first half (have to do the shopping now)
thought twice Royal got the ball in the box in shooting postions but both times passed it back to player instead of taking shot on

I really don't think so. What has spurs actually done in their history? Compared to Glasgow rangers ?
BreakableAchingCarp-size_restricted.gif

We reached the europa cup final. We have won 1 European cup 55 league titles and fk knows how many cups. What had spurs won ?
The fact that a team has won 55 league titles speaks more about the quality of said league than the quality of your team

The Scottish league is an absolute farce and always has been

Celtic have won the European cup, I respect them, rangers have won fuck all in my opinion

And you can keep saying ‘if we had English money we’d be amazing’

No you wouldn’t, you’d still have to convince players to live in Glasgow

If you played in England you’d be the whipping boys for a couple of seasons, likely get relegated, then go back to playing st mirren and Hamilton and ‘winning your titles’ with your tails between your legs

We reached the europa cup final. We have won 1 European cup 55 league titles and fk knows how many cups. What had spurs won ?

55 league titles in a league equivalent to division 2 🤣😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Spurs have won…

2 league titles (proper league titles)
8 fa cups
4 league cups
7 FA community shields
1 European cup winner cup
2 Uefa cups
Walter Trull Memorial trophy…😘

So fuck off Celtic reserves

As a barometer of how great the SPL is… Hearts, who are the team closest to the Old Firm based on last season, had a pre season friendly at home to Crawley Town… and were lucky to escape with a 2-2 draw.

League 2 level. That’s the league R*ngers want everyone to get excited about.

:mourweird:

Only watched the 8 min highlights but did we try to control the game by being on the front foot or did we sit back a bit and let them have the ball? I noticed procession stats were 53/47 for rangers. Basically are changing style or going to play more on the counter?

As a barometer of how great the SPL is… Hearts, who are the team closest to the Old Firm based on last season, had a pre season friendly at home to Crawley Town… and were lucky to escape with a 2-2 draw.

League 2 level. That’s the league R*ngers want everyone to get excited about.

:mourweird:
Re Hearts I pointed this out a few years back. Their manager got poached by and he walked out for....MK Dons.

It's not the clubs' fault, the Scottish Leagues get buttons in terms of TV revenues. The Old Firm matches must get sold around the anglophone world so the Scots and esp Irish diasporas get their fix, but I reckon that most watch on streams.

It's hard now to recall how big Scottish football was at one stage. The late 60's for instance:

1967 - Celtic win the European Cup . Incredible, all the players bar one grew up around the corner from Parkhead. The exception grew up 30 miles away;

1967 - Scotland beat WC winners England 3-2 at Wembley;

1970 - Celtic knock Leeds out of Euro Cup semi. The crowd? 137,000. Had to hold it at Hampden.

1937 - Scotland v England at Hampden, 149,000.

1937 - Scottish cup Final Celtic v Aberdeen, 147,000

1939 - Rangers v Celtic, 118,000, record League crowd

Not just professional football.

The Junior Cup? 1951 - 77,000 went to Petershill v Irvine Meadow

In the late 1980's the game had an artificial boost when English clubs were banned from Europe, Rangers and Celtic bought players from English clubs. Temporary of course.

TV has created such a gap now between the English and Scottish leagues. The EPL has been a phenomenal financial success. SPL only has Rangers and Celtic, a poor man's Spanish League. The Old Firm's only chance would be to join the English leagues and wait till they could get promotion to the EPL, but it won't happen. If they could, they could eventually compete for top 4 and titles, the size of their respective fan bases is enormous.

Final note on those massive crowds in the cash-only era. Clubs would routinely under-report the size of crowds so as to evade tax.

Bit of trivia:

Summer 1967, Spurs the FA cup winners played a friendly at Hampden v Celtic, who'd won the lot, European Cup included. 3-3. Highlights are on youtube. Pat Jennings had a very off day and was at fault for the goals.

Back
Top Bottom