THST Board Meeting with THFC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You are contradicting your own point, so finishing below 5th only twice in last 13 years and CL last 2 years doesn’t mean we have broken down any barriers?

Christ on a bike what are your expectations for our club?
Look I chose the London Spurs as a team 5 years ago around Bale because I thought we’d they’d win loads of trophies like my other teams Barca, The Patriots and Roger Federer. I’m seriously pissed that this hasn’t materialised. I’m a winner. Just ask my 6mth old. Hasn’t beaten me at penalties, chess, connect four or hungry hippos the LOSER.

The point is being completely missed. Listen let’s take Spurs out of this because having a mature conversation about the power structure of the game and our standing in this is clearly too much for some. It really shouldn’t be but blatantly is.

Quite simply an elite club is a club that can purchase an elite side. If anyone can accept the statement that Chelsea or City bought the title then they can accept and understand the concept of this, so I really do not understand why many are being deliberately obtuse about it. These clubs purchase world class talents, they pay the highest premiums to build their teams. And their revenue base ensures that they can consistently do this.

A non Elite club is one that cannot buy an elite side, they have to construct this through youth, clever purchases and good coaching. They also have to contend with the elite clubs poaching their talents because they do not have to cultivate talent in the same way.

The contrast is that it’s far easier to purchase an elite side that it is that it is to build one. It’s even more difficult for non elite sides to maintain this when they do build this - as the likes A Madrid, Dortmund and Monaco attest. Not only do these teams not have the resources to retain their best players they do not have the resources to replace them like for like which is they never attempt to- the fees are used to bring a number of players in.

Take A. Madrid for example a couple of years ago they had an elite side, they won La Liga got to a CL final beating a number of elite clubs along the line. Did that make them an elite club? No it didn’t. Did they maintain this success? No. Did the additional revenues and new stadium reposition the club as a premier club? No. So it doesn’t matter that they beat a number of elite sides along the way because it doesn’t alter the fact that the likes of Real and Barca maintain the ability to achieve consistent success whereas A. Madrid do not.

Now say this to A. Madrid supporter and this will be met with venom and vitriol but that doesn’t make it any less true. This isn’t a radical statement and it is blatantly obvious to anyone who follows the financial side of the game but clearly very few actually do.

I have no issue with your definitions of what is elite and non elite, but frankly you're making the wrong contrast from the outset. The division should be financially doped v sustainable. City/Real/PSG are based on huge investment that will never be paid back and has endless resource until that well is emptied - United/Woolwich/Us are sustainable, we exist in a world where we have to balance the books.

The minute you see it this way everything we're doing makes sense, if you want to retain players or grow sustainably, you need a bigger stadium because that will increase the income stream and therefore improve the club's ability to retain talent. If you want to be very hard nosed about it, the player that Real would have paid £100m for is now £200m because our ability to say no to an offer has increased because we have created more sustainable wealth, that's not madness or unambitious, it's giving the club a more stable long term platform.

Taking off the hardheaded side of things the new stadium is a fantastically good thing too, as someone who was on a waiting list for 14 years for a season ticket, I felt denied when it came to seeing Spurs regularly, a lot of fans who wanted to get to see Spurs were not limited by ticket price but sheer availability. I won't say I'm a fan of Wembley but one thing's for sure, it democratised our fan base, those who want to see Spurs have got to see them and the new stadium gives that opportunity to more of our fans every game, the pricing will be a contentious issue and may see fallout but if you are not excited about being in the new White Hart Lane with 59000 other Spurs fans cheering the team on, I question why you want to follow this club.

Finally, I think your main argument is that the board are prioritising the money over the glory, the runs in the CL and PL over the FA Cup and the League Cup. No one here wants Spurs out of the cups but the reality is that they are not what they once were, we won the League Cup in 2008, it wasn't a platform that led to the Premier League. Woolwich won the FA Cup and had their parade and yet they knew that the cup was a piece of paper barely covering a crack. If we win the FA Cup I'll be on the high road cheering the bus past. The fact remains, retaining a place in the champions league will make us more sustainable, will allow us to retain more talent and more for the club in terms of prestige and money than an FA Cup ever could. It's not a situation that makes me happy but it is the reality that we're faced with.

When you look at the way the club is managed, the goals set, the fact we are fighting on 3 fronts pretty fucking well, I struggle to see how you can be too critical of ENIC, aside from the very salient points that the Trust have pointed out.

But that is the issue of contention, the stadium is being turned into something that it is not. It is not and never will be a means to do that because the additional revenues it will generate will not be great enough to enable that. It obviously extends our capacity to increase our payroll but not to the extent it would level us with there likes of United, Barca and Real. And as long as we remain unable to compete on remuneration then we will always remain vunerable to those clubs.

This is the problem with your argument, it's not to make us United, Real or Barca, it's to make sure we are in a better financial place than we were before. The argument cannot be that the new ground will suddenly make us bigger than well established super clubs, that isn't happening. The financial argument is that it makes the club stronger and more likely to remain as a Premier League club, more likely to retain players and harder to extract players away from than we already are. You can't expect to make us the world's biggest sporting franchise, to expect that is delusional. Be careful here my argument is not that the new stadium will allow us to buy players for £200m that's not happening because that kind of money comes from an Oil Well or state aid.

As for your point on Madrid well I think the premium we can now command stems largely from PSG and their actions last summer ( which has had a monumental inflationary effect) and from the enhanced financial dominance of the PL which the rest of the European game is struggling to contend with. It’s has massively empowered PL clubs but the fact remains that in the Bosman age players dictate their futures not clubs. And the games best will always gravitate to the clubs that pay the most and dominate the major honours and that isn’t us.

That is an opinion, it's not one that is entirely proven, how a team finds and retains their players is not predicated entirely on money. You can see this by the squad we currently have, they have not cost us necessarily high transfer fees and they are not the best paid players in the league, yet here we are. Not every player is soley motivated by money and we have advantages beyond just the money, we have a respected manager, we have a base in London (which is attractive to most non english players), we have a bonus structure. Our players aren't pleading poverty and it is inevitable that we will not keep all our talent but we'll also buy well and develop our players, those players in our development squad will see that if they're good enough they will play, unlike some of those languishing or being loaned out by Chelsea & City, it's not delusional to believe we can't retain more of our talent as time goes on. As for honours, do you think that's what attracted Aubemayang to the Emirates? Also we might lose Alderweireld, you know what? If we do, horrible as it will be to lose him, we'll replace him, that's life.

What they deserve criticism for however is the qualification culture that they have fostered during their tenure. This preoccupation with the CL has coincided with one of the longest periods without silverware in the club’s history. And for what benefit exactly, the CL doesn’t enable us to retain our best players, it doesn’t enable to sign players that we couldn’t before, it isn’t the great leveler that it is presented to be and can never be that. It extends our revenue base but as with the stadium not to any meaningful degree - certainly not on a competive front. The game is about glory but seemingly that is being forgotten by a large contingent of our supporters.

The qualification culture? Seriously! They have been 17 years, do you think we had a qualification culture in 2001? Were we winning things? Had we been pretty much shocking for the decade leading up to that point, barely qualifying for Europe, barely surviving in the Premier League? If someone spoke to you back then and said, 'this lot are going to give us a team that can challenge for the league, they're going to build a new training centre that looks world class, a new stadium and guess what, you're even going to finish above Woolwich.. Would you be arguing about a 'qualification culture'?? I don't get it..

The horrible truth is we may not win a thing and you have to ask yourself is it better that we've had a bloody good go at it with a quality squad or do we have to regard it as another failure? You say that Woolwich have won 3 FA Cups in 4 years, that isn't saving Wenger, do you not see? Once you win the FA Cup that will never be enough, you might say it's a nice problem to have, I am not so sure.

But it’s not going to enable to us compete with the elite clubs. Our capacity to spend in terms of the market and wages will still remain well below theirs. The new stadium moves us on a par with the likes of Liverpool, that’s it.
Boo Hoo! But we are competing with the elite clubs!!!
It moves us on par with Liverpool, much closer to Chelsea and if Woolwich fail to get CL this year and we do we should be fucking close with them too (that scenario is about a £70m combined swing in our favour). Fucking hell mate, that leaves City and Utd. the highest valued club on planet earth and the biggest club on earth, get some perspective for fucks sake!

Oh and given what we have seen on the spending in recent years are you seriously trying to say that Utd's recruitment has been better than ours, I mean fuck me look at the utter shit their half a billion pound spend has got them. Are you trying to tell me Utd has a better team than ours?

Last edited:
DL said that assisted by their advisers, Rothschilds, the club was considering all available options.

We are being advised by the Illuminati. We can't lose.

How has a thread about ACTUAL verbatim engagement with the club's board, with THST have published extensive notes, descended into a pissing contest between us and "elite" clubs and 5 pages of arguments about who's more realistic and whether we are/aren't can/can't compete?

:pochunimpressed:
You've not been here very long, have you?

MG asked for an update on naming rights. Many had been expecting an announcement now the stadium was progressing.
DL explained that the stadium financing was not conditional on selling naming rights. THFC are in discussions but they will only contract when they are satisfied with the price, the tenure and the counterparty.
DMC assured that the number required for commercials was in the business plan and the stadium financing meant it was not an essential for the stadium to open
Until such a time that a partner is found, the stadium will be referred to as Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

MG asked for an update on naming rights. Many had been expecting an announcement now the stadium was progressing.
DL explained that the stadium financing was not conditional on selling naming rights. THFC are in discussions but they will only contract when they are satisfied with the price, the tenure and the counterparty.
DMC assured that the number required for commercials was in the business plan and the stadium financing meant it was not an essential for the stadium to open
Until such a time that a partner is found, the stadium will be referred to as Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
no it wont

It will be referred to as White Hart Lane............

whether Levy likes it or not.

Whilst some of the answers were frustrating, this is only the recorded minutes. No one knows what the tone of questioning was like and if any of the discussions got heated. Hopefully we can get Kat or martin back on to the pod soon to talk about what it was like in there.

Smoked Salmon Smoked Salmon I'd suggest you become a full member of the trust for £10 and then you can vote on who you want to be on the executive committee or even run for it yourself if you're unhappy with how they are going about their business.

In my opinion, you can't just go in there screaming and shouting or the club will simply make these meetings less and less frequent. A certain level of diplomacy needs to take place. I think it's encouraging that levy himself was there and has acknowledged the lack of communication around various issues.

"Stop being cunts and build the stadium you slack bastards!"

"Tell us the deal with BAE or stop paying him with our money you daft cunt."

"Tell us why it is too complicated to just pay off Archway... Don't just tell us it is you silly cunt"

"Tell us why Daniel Levy still holds a strong relationship with Madrid despite them cunting us off?"

"Stop being cunts and build the stadium you slack bastards!"

"Tell us the deal with BAE or stop paying him with our money you daft cunt."

"Tell us why it is too complicated to just pay off Archway... Don't just tell us it is you silly cunt"

"Tell us why Daniel Levy still holds a strong relationship with Madrid despite them cunting us off?"

"No"
"No"
"No"
"Fuck off you northern cunt"

This is all very well and good, but the noises coming out of the club were Poch gave Levy his blessing to sell Walker - and he was a key player for us.

Can see the same spin with Toby in the summer. "Sold with Poch's blessing"...
If Poch says the player can go the player can go. Simple

Roman hasn’t needed too, the have won virtually everything this decade but the fact remains that he is there and whilst he remains their remain an elite club because they retain he capacity of that.

As for Juve, well I didn’t say they are elite I said the exact opposite. The whole Italian league is a declining force as the likes of Inter and Milan attest.

Again I stated previously we are a non elite club that has an elite side, we are in the postion that Dortmund and A. Madrid where in recent seasons but like those clubs we do not possess the capita to retain this. This is very easy to see but many choose not too because they don’t like the picture. You can talk about about consolidating our position but all we doing is strengthening our current standing as the 6 the biggest club by revenue. Our greatest scope for progression, certainly on the European front is the PL’s global success. It’s that success and the subsquent revenues it has generated that has enabled us to surpass the likes of AC Milan, Inter, Dortmund and soon Juve.
But we beat Chelsea regularly!!!!!!

Juve isn't an Elite club, WTF!!! They have 30 odd championship titles to their name, have EIGHT fucking European Titles x2 of which are old big ears and have reached the final twice in the last three years!

We are building a stadium that WILL let us have the capita to sustain our ability to sustain what we are doing, we have already surpassed Atletico and Dortmund and we should do the same with Juve at the end of this season (100% certainty if we knock them out of the CL), we've achieved the WITHOUT the money from the stadium. Now ADD the money we get from the new stadium that gives us MORE money in addition to that we get from the UK TV rights deal, happy fucking days!! Where the fuck do you think Woolwich money comes from, they don't win anything, they don't compete for titles domestically or in Europe yet they are the 6th richest club in world football!!! Our new stadium money, them not in CL whilst we are brings us very close to their revenue!!

So we have an elite team, your words, and should be nudging revenues close to 6th richest club in the world, yet you sit their pouring cold water on this, fucking hell mate you are dead inside. You basically have said what's the point of us, when the reality is what's the point with you supporting us? Ye of so little joy. Fuck me.

I don't have any issue with the statement. In fact I totally agree with it. It's when Kat and Martin start moaning on twitter about how hard done by they are. Yeah it's frustrating but if you're in that position then you have to expect stick and you can't go alienating fans by calling them out on twitter. It's unnecessary
I honestly don't see the problem with a few less than ideal journeys. The reality is that A) the PL employs the players and managers it does making it the greatest competition in the world due to all the TV money. That TV money pours in because of how lucrative it is. Its lucrative because the weekends (and often while week) is chuck full of great matches. If all matches went back to Safurday afternoon it would be very damaging to the English game. Difficult journeys are a necessity for the money that's propelled the game forward.

B) less than ideal away trips probably open the opportunity for many more to experience away days than would otherwise be possible. If every trip was perfectly scheduled then you'd get the same 2,000 odd hardcore travellers at every away trip. It's hard enough as it is for many to break through and score away tickets for many matches. Sucks to be inconvenienced sometimes, no doubt, but it's not like the club has trouble shifting its allocation. That means there's nothing really wrong with the way things are....just a bunch of entitled geezers who have been at the top of the LP list for ages getting the hump because the PL, club, and Sky booked a match without checking their personal schedules first.

• DL maintained a good relationship with President Perez and this conversation may be reopened in the future
:lloris:

:paulinhofacepalm:

:levywhoa: -- " Eriksen , good gwame"

:eriksenlol: " Thank boss!"

:levywtf: " bit chilly up there though, wasn't it?"

:eriksenserious: " I guess so"

:levystare: " Ever been to Madrid?"

:eriksenlip:

:levylol:

Back
Top Bottom