THST Board Meeting with THFC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Some wealthier clubs like Juventus, A Madrid etc have not poached top English players and are not a threat to taking our top players. Only Barcalona, R Madrid and now possibly PSG are doing that. That just leaves the English clubs and I am hopeful we will be closer to paying our top stars at least closer to what they pay shortly. Why would any player move to Liverpool or Woolwich in hope of winning trophies.
Higher attendances, means not only more money from ticket sales but merchandise and allow better sponsorship deals. Getting not only into the CL but the knockout stages earns more money.
The outlook is positive but we do need to keep this team together and convince the players we will win a trophy soon.

Therr are seven 3 of which exist in our league and the we have the likes of Woolwich and Liverpool who also generate more than us. This really isn’t difficult,sustained success in the modern game is dictated by revenue and when the 6th biggest club in the league has 3 elite clubs ahead of it then that is going to be an almighty challenge to it. That is why this passive mentality amongst our supporters infuriates me so much. We have amassed an elite side despite our limitations and yet little to no expectation is placed on them for silverware despite this being so obviously unsustainable.

Of course it’s sustainable - why shouldn’t it be? Anyway, this is such a circular argument. You see ‘silverware’ (specifically the two 2nd tier cups) as the mark of success, the rest of the world realises that is no longer the case. As has been stated hundreds of times, what has it done for woolwich? 3 out of 4 FA cups, yet they’re incapable of arresting their decline as serious contenders and are now all but a laughing stock.

I love how reality is now deemed as negative. I also love how most football supporters will readily accept the realities of every other club bar their own.
We are an exceptionally well run club. Many Utd fans make this point on a regular basis. Many want Poch and Levy. They understand the realities of their own club.

I’m talking about competing financially as I said before we are an non elite club that currently possesses an elite side. We do not have the capacity to retain and maintain an elite side and the stadium isnt going to alter that, certainly not without any effective financial constraints on clubs like City and Chelsea. The same applies to similar clubs our standing such as A.Madrid, this isn’t unique to us. That’s not being negative it is simply accepting the reality of the situation. Money will dictate long term success and unfortunately for us the stadium will not and cannot more us into the bracket of an elite clubs.
What are you on about?
Liverpool pay top notch wages.
If we offered Toby what they are paying that useless cunt they’ve just bought from Southampton, for example, he’d be delighted.
I will be delighted the day we move up to their level in terms of being able to pay similar salaries.
We won’t lose too many players to these “elite clubs” you speak so fondly of.
Any club can only have a squad of players registered each season. No matter how rich they are. That’s 22-24 players. If we can match the scousers for wages we won’t ever be far away

Chelsea isn't wishful thinking, the Russian hasn't put his own money into the club in a while, he no longer bankrolls the club, this is significant, as is the debt that is still owed to him. He might chuck in another £2b for all I know, but the fact remains he hasn't dipped into his deep pockets for a while and passed on this I'd say it's significant, as is the fact that we are now competing with them in terms of player acquisition and finishing above them in the league.

You said we can't compete with the Elite, yet agree with me that Juve are Elite and admit that we will pass them in financial terms too, and with a wing and a prayer we might actual beat them on the pitch too, by that very definition were are competing with the elite!!

Now I'm no mug, we need to sustain our competitiveness to be called elite, by that we have to do this year on year. I'm not saying we are elite, but we are currently competing with the elite, this is a state of fact.

Now, we have done this without a new stadium, and only one year of CL money. This stadium will bring in substantial new revenue streams, which you say will not make much difference. I say that's bollocks. The stadium isn't a golden ticket but it is the one thing that will enable us to consolidate our position, just by doing that combined with the philosophy we have in place (why change something that's working) we should move up a few more rungs on the ladder.

TDLR: We are not Europes elite but we are competing with them, the money from the new stadium should help us consolidate our position, to regularly compete with them. I'm not talking about doing a Woolwich either, they haven't put in a title challenge for 15yrs, we have in the last two seasons, all be it not close enough to take it to last couple of games.

Roman hasn’t needed too, they have won virtually everything this decade but the fact remains that whilst he remains there they will remain an elite club because they retain the capacity of such a club.

As for Juve, well I didn’t say they are elite club I said the exact opposite. The whole Italian league is a declining force as the likes of Inter and Milan attest.

Again I stated previously we are a non elite club that has an elite side, we are in the postion that Dortmund and A. Madrid were in recent seasons but like those clubs we do not possess the capital to retain this. This is very easy to see but many choose not too because they don’t like the picture. You can talk about about consolidating our position but all we are doing is strengthening our current standing as the 6 the biggest club by revenue. Our greatest scope for progression, certainly on the European front is with the PL’s continued global success. It’s that success and the subsquent revenues it has generated that has enabled us to surpass the likes of AC Milan, Inter, Dortmund and soon Juve.

To ask a question in response to a few posts above, Since when did Abramovich stop bank rolling Chelsea? Serious question. I missed that? I thought they were still hugely propped up by him?

It's actually astounding someone could be so negative about the club they claim to support, whilst they are going through one of their best spells in recent history.

It’s actually astounding that someone can be so passive and place to little to no expectation on a side as talented as this especially when the club has gone a decade without silverware. I love how the person who states that this team needs to win something, a team this talented has to win something, that it must win something is the person considered as the negative one and the ones who fashion endless excuses is not.

Our greatest scope for progression, certainly on the European front is with the PL’s continued global success.

Ha ha, gotcha. So it’s not about silverware, it’s about featuring at the top end of the PL. Which is what I’ve been trying to tell you for months. I never thought you’d come round, but fair play Hood. I like a man who can admit when he’s wrong.

It’s actually astounding that someone can be so passive and place to little to no expectation on a side as talented as this especially when the club has gone a decade without silverware. I love how the person who states that this team needs to win something, a team this talented has to win something, that it must win something is the person considered as the negative one and the ones who fashion endless excuses is not.
If this team is kept together, it WILL win trophies under this manager.
If we can pay the same wages as the scousers, we WILL keep the players together.
The new stadium is a game changer.

Physically it is, but it’s relevancy isn’t, and there’s the rub. Be nice to win it this year, but if we don’t go into the new place with CL football, it will be just a footnote of a ‘decent cup team’.

Yes because you are all fixated on securing additional revenues if the misguided belief this turn us into something that it will not. And I would kill for us to be a decent cup team rather than the one that despite all of its talent doesn’t actually win anything ( which is being levelled at us more and more now).

Yes because you are all fixated on securing additional revenues if the misguided belief this turn us into something that it will not. And I would kill for us to be a decent cup team rather than the one that despite all of its talent doesn’t actually win anything ( which is being levelled at us more and more now).
Don’t worry too much about what others say about us. 10 years ago we wouldn’t have been on their radar. You do remember the Sky top 4 I take it? We’ve broken down that barrier.

If this team is kept together, it WILL win trophies under this manager.
If we can pay the same wages as the scousers, we WILL keep the players together.
The new stadium is a game changer.

You can capitalise all you want but so far this team hasn’t won anything in the Poch era and if you think us paying the same salaries as Liverpool ( who routinely lose their best players) will enable us to retain our best players the you are living in absolute fantasy land.

Don’t worry too much about what others say about us. 10 years ago we wouldn’t have been on their radar. You do remember the Sky top 4 I take it? We’ve broken down that barrier.

You do know we qualified for the CL in 2009/10 season right? And that we have only finished below 5th only 3 times in the last 13 years. Let’s just finish in the top 4 this season before stating that we have broken down barriers because it is currently no sure thing.

Back
Top Bottom