THST Board Meeting with THFC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think this would be an interesting experiment. But why not just sell back to the club at FV?
I guess because that would present the possibility of the club having a load of unsold seats on their hands, including season ticket holders' seats. They only want season ticket holders to be able to 'sell' their seats if there is a buyer for them guaranteed, it was the same with the old ticket exchange system before Stubhub. Otherwise the club ends up having to sell seats twice, and they don't want that extra hassle when they wouldn't get much extra revenue from it.

You are contradicting your own point, so finishing below 5th only twice in last 13 years and CL last 2 years doesn’t mean we have broken down any barriers?

Christ on a bike what are your expectations for our club?
Look I chose the London Spurs as a team 5 years ago around Bale because I thought we’d they’d win loads of trophies like my other teams Barca, The Patriots and Roger Federer. I’m seriously pissed that this hasn’t materialised. I’m a winner. Just ask my 6mth old. Hasn’t beaten me at penalties, chess, connect four or hungry hippos the LOSER.

Look I chose the London Spurs as a team 5 years ago around Bale because I thought we’d they’d win loads of trophies like my other teams Barca, The Patriots and Roger Federer. I’m seriously pissed that this hasn’t materialised. I’m a winner. Just ask my 6mth old. Hasn’t beaten me at penalties, chess, connect four or hungry hippos the LOSER.

Well mate why don’t you change your username and be a real hardcore fan!!

Change it to Buffon, SergioRamos or Totti for example ;)

How has a thread about ACTUAL verbatim engagement with the club's board, with THST have published extensive notes, descended into a pissing contest between us and "elite" clubs and 5 pages of arguments about who's more realistic and whether we are/aren't can/can't compete?

:pochunimpressed:
The day we can't cause a cunt-off in every single type of thread is the day this place dies.

We can't compete with the elite?

Out of the seven teams you've listed, we've only played 4.

In the last 18 months, we've beat all 4 of them.
giphy.gif

How has a thread about ACTUAL verbatim engagement with the club's board, with THST have published extensive notes, descended into a pissing contest between us and "elite" clubs and 5 pages of arguments about who's more realistic and whether we are/aren't can/can't compete?

:pochunimpressed:
Because you can’t start a new thread every time a poster makes a deliberately provocative comment. People are allowed to challenge those views regardless of what thread it’s in.

We can't compete with the elite?

Out of the seven teams you've listed, we've only played 4.

In the last 18 months, we've beat all 4 of them.

The point is being completely missed. Listen let’s take Spurs out of this because having a mature conversation about the power structure of the game and our standing in this is clearly too much for some. It really shouldn’t be but blatantly is.

Quite simply an elite club is a club that can purchase an elite side. If anyone can accept the statement that Chelsea or City bought the title then they can accept and understand the concept of this, so I really do not understand why many are being deliberately obtuse about it. These clubs purchase world class talents, they pay the highest premiums to build their teams. And their revenue base ensures that they can consistently do this.

A non Elite club is one that cannot buy an elite side, they have to construct this through youth, clever purchases and good coaching. They also have to contend with the elite clubs poaching their talents because they do not have to cultivate talent in the same way.

The contrast is that it’s far easier to purchase an elite side that it is that it is to build one. It’s even more difficult for non elite sides to maintain this when they do build this - as the likes A Madrid, Dortmund and Monaco attest. Not only do these teams not have the resources to retain their best players they do not have the resources to replace them like for like which is they never attempt to- the fees are used to bring a number of players in.

Take A. Madrid for example a couple of years ago they had an elite side, they won La Liga got to a CL final beating a number of elite clubs along the line. Did that make them an elite club? No it didn’t. Did they maintain this success? No. Did the additional revenues and new stadium reposition the club as a premier club? No. So it doesn’t matter that they beat a number of elite sides along the way because it doesn’t alter the fact that the likes of Real and Barca maintain the ability to achieve consistent success whereas A. Madrid do not.

Now say this to A. Madrid supporter and this will be met with venom and vitriol but that doesn’t make it any less true. This isn’t a radical statement and it is blatantly obvious to anyone who follows the financial side of the game but clearly very few actually do.

Last edited:
The point is being completely missed. Listen let’s take Spurs out of this because having a mature conversation about the power structure of the game and our standing in this is clearly too much for some. It really shouldn’t be but blatantly is.

Quite simply an elite club is a club that can purchase an elite side. If anyone can accept the statement that Chelsea or City bought the title then they can accept and understand the concept of this, so I really do not understand why many are being deliberately obtuse about it. These clubs purchase world class talents, they pay the highest premiums to build their teams. And their revenue base ensures that they can consistently do this.

A non Elite club is one that cannot buy an elite side, they have to construct this through youth, clever purchases and good coaching. They also have to contend with the elite clubs poaching their talents because they do not have to cultivate talent in the same way.

The contrast is that it’s far easier to purchase an elite side that it is that it is to build one. It’s even more difficult for non elite sides to maintain this when they do build this - as the likes A Madrid, Dortmund and Monaco attest. Not only do these teams not have the resources to retain their best players they do not have the resources to replace them like for like which is they never attempt to- the fees are used to bring a number of players in.

Take A. Madrid for example a couple of years ago they had an elite side, they won La Liga got to a CL final beating a number of elite clubs along the line. Did that make them an elite club? No it didn’t. Did they maintain this success? No. Did the additional revenues and new stadium reposition the club as a premier club? No. So it doesn’t matter that they beat a number of elite sides along the way because it doesn’t alter the fact that the likes of Real and Barca maintain the ability to achieve consistent success whereas A. Madrid do not.

Now say this to A. Madrid supporter and this will be met with venom and vitriol but that doesn’t make it any less true. This isn’t a radical statement and it is blatantly obvious to anyone who follows the financial side of the game but clearly very few actually do.

I have no issue with your definitions of what is elite and non elite, but frankly you're making the wrong contrast from the outset. The division should be financially doped v sustainable. City/Real/PSG are based on huge investment that will never be paid back and has endless resource until that well is emptied - United/Woolwich/Us are sustainable, we exist in a world where we have to balance the books.

The minute you see it this way everything we're doing makes sense, if you want to retain players or grow sustainably, you need a bigger stadium because that will increase the income stream and therefore improve the club's ability to retain talent. If you want to be very hard nosed about it, the player that Real would have paid £100m for is now £200m because our ability to say no to an offer has increased because we have created more sustainable wealth, that's not madness or unambitious, it's giving the club a more stable long term platform.

Taking off the hardheaded side of things the new stadium is a fantastically good thing too, as someone who was on a waiting list for 14 years for a season ticket, I felt denied when it came to seeing Spurs regularly, a lot of fans who wanted to get to see Spurs were not limited by ticket price but sheer availability. I won't say I'm a fan of Wembley but one thing's for sure, it democratised our fan base, those who want to see Spurs have got to see them and the new stadium gives that opportunity to more of our fans every game, the pricing will be a contentious issue and may see fallout but if you are not excited about being in the new White Hart Lane with 59000 other Spurs fans cheering the team on, I question why you want to follow this club.

Finally, I think your main argument is that the board are prioritising the money over the glory, the runs in the CL and PL over the FA Cup and the League Cup. No one here wants Spurs out of the cups but the reality is that they are not what they once were, we won the League Cup in 2008, it wasn't a platform that led to the Premier League. Woolwich won the FA Cup and had their parade and yet they knew that the cup was a piece of paper barely covering a crack. If we win the FA Cup I'll be on the high road cheering the bus past. The fact remains, retaining a place in the champions league will make us more sustainable, will allow us to retain more talent and more for the club in terms of prestige and money than an FA Cup ever could. It's not a situation that makes me happy but it is the reality that we're faced with.

When you look at the way the club is managed, the goals set, the fact we are fighting on 3 fronts pretty fucking well, I struggle to see how you can be too critical of ENIC, aside from the very salient points that the Trust have pointed out.

I have no issue with your definitions of what is elite and non elite, but frankly you're making the wrong contrast from the outset. The division should be financially doped v sustainable. City/Real/PSG are based on huge investment that will never be paid back and has endless resource until that well is emptied - United/Woolwich/Us are sustainable, we exist in a world where we have to balance the books.

The minute you see it this way everything we're doing makes sense, if you want to retain players or grow sustainably, you need a bigger stadium because that will increase the income stream and therefore improve the club's ability to retain talent. If you want to be very hard nosed about it, the player that Real would have paid £100m for is now £200m because our ability to say no to an offer has increased because we have created more sustainable wealth, that's not madness or unambitious, it's giving the club a more stable long term platform.

Taking off the hardheaded side of things the new stadium is a fantastically good thing too, as someone who was on a waiting list for 14 years for a season ticket, I felt denied when it came to seeing Spurs regularly, a lot of fans who wanted to get to see Spurs were not limited by ticket price but sheer availability. I won't say I'm a fan of Wembley but one thing's for sure, it democratised our fan base, those who want to see Spurs have got to see them and the new stadium gives that opportunity to more of our fans every game, the pricing will be a contentious issue and may see fallout but if you are not excited about being in the new White Hart Lane with 59000 other Spurs fans cheering the team on, I question why you want to follow this club.

Finally, I think your main argument is that the board are prioritising the money over the glory, the runs in the CL and PL over the FA Cup and the League Cup. No one here wants Spurs out of the cups but the reality is that they are not what they once were, we won the League Cup in 2008, it wasn't a platform that led to the Premier League. Woolwich won the FA Cup and had their parade and yet they knew that the cup was a piece of paper barely covering a crack. If we win the FA Cup I'll be on the high road cheering the bus past. The fact remains, retaining a place in the champions league will make us more sustainable, will allow us to retain more talent and more for the club in terms of prestige and money than an FA Cup ever could. It's not a situation that makes me happy but it is the reality that we're faced with.

When you look at the way the club is managed, the goals set, the fact we are fighting on 3 fronts pretty fucking well, I struggle to see how you can be too critical of ENIC, aside from the very salient points that the Trust have pointed out.

Excellent post. :adesalute:

But that is the issue of contention, the stadium is being turned into something that it is not. It is not and never will be a means to do that because the additional revenues it will generate will not be great enough to enable that. It obviously extends our capacity to increase our payroll but not to the extent it would level us with there likes of United, Barca and Real. And as long as we remain unable to compete on remuneration then we will always remain vunerable to those clubs.

As for your point on Madrid well I think the premium we can now command stems largely from PSG and their actions last summer ( which has had a monumental inflationary effect) and from the enhanced financial dominance of the PL which the rest of the European game is struggling to contend with. It’s has massively empowered PL clubs but the fact remains that in the Bosman age players dictate their futures not clubs. And the games best will always gravitate to the clubs that pay the most and dominate the major honours and that isn’t us.

With regards to the stadium I absolutely agree, it’s one of the most important factors for the rebuild. We needed new infrastructure and we required a venue that would allow those that occupy our vast waiting list to be able to see live games on a regular basis. I don’t think you would find a single supporter who isn’t excited by this development and the board deserve massive praise for all of our capital projects.

What they deserve criticism for however is the qualification culture that they have fostered during their tenure. This preoccupation with the CL has coincided with one of the longest periods without silverware in the club’s history. And for what benefit exactly, the CL doesn’t enable us to retain our best players, it doesn’t enable to sign players that we couldn’t before, it isn’t the great leveler that it is presented to be and can never be that. It extends our revenue base but as with the stadium not to any meaningful degree - certainly not on a competive front. The game is about glory but seemingly that is being forgotten by a large contingent of our supporters.

Last edited:

This is the finest post I have read on here.

Bloody well done :adethumbup:

But that is the issue of contention, the stadium is being turned into something that it is not. It is not and never will be a means to do that because the additional revenues it will generate will not be great enough to enable that. It obviously extends our capacity to increase our payroll but not to the extent it would level us with there likes of United, Barca and Real. And as long as we remain unable to compete on remuneration then we will always remain vunerable to those clubs.

As for your point on Madrid well I think the premium we can now command stems largely from PSG and their actions last summer ( which has had a monumental inflationary effect) and from the enhanced financial dominance of the PL which the rest of the European game is struggling to contend with. It’s has massively empowered PL clubs but the fact remains that in the Bosman age players dictate their futures not clubs. And the games best will always gravitate to the clubs that pay the most and dominate the major honours and that isn’t us.

With regards to the stadium I absolutely agree, it’s one of the most important factors for the rebuild. We needed new infrastructure and we required a venue that would allow those that occupy our vast waiting list to be able to see live games on a regular basis. I don’t think you would find a single supporter who isn’t excited by this development and the board deserve massive praise for all of our capital projects.

What they deserve criticism for however is the qualification culture that they have fostered during their tenure. This precaution with the CL has coincided with one of the longest periods without silverware in the club’s history. And for what benefit exactly, the CL doesn’t enable us to retain our best players, it doesn’t enable to sign players that we couldn’t before, it isn’t the great leveler that it is presented to be and can never be that. It extends our revenue base but as with the stadium not to any meaningful degree - certainly not on a competive front. The game is about glory but seemingly that is being forgotten by a large contingent of our supporters.
So we can never compete financially with united. So why don’t we all just give it all up and close the club down?

I remember the days under Scholar over extending things. That c**t Maxwell VERY nearly getting his hands on our club after Oxford etc..

What exactly DO you want?

What they deserve criticism for however is the qualification culture that they have fostered during their tenure. This precaution with the CL has coincided with one of the longest periods without silverware in the club’s history. And for what benefit exactly, the CL doesn’t enable us to retain our best players, it doesn’t enable to sign players that we couldn’t before, it isn’t the great leveler that it is presented to be and can never be that. It expends our revenues but as with the stadium not to any meaningful degree - not on a competive front.

Of course it does. The revenue from CL participation helps pay our players more. It’s vital that we become CL regulars. Kane won’t stay if we fall out of contention. Without CL we will have even less money to offer improved contracts, and do you seriously think an overseas player would think ‘ok, Spurs aren’t in the CL, but they won the league cup, so that’s the club for me’? Madness.

So we can never compete financially with united. So why don’t we all just give it all up and close the club down?

I remember the days under Scholar over extending things. That c**t Maxwell VERY nearly getting his hands on our club after Oxford etc..

What exactly DO you want?

Where have I said that? Where have I said the club should extend itself in the market? I have said the exact opposite for well over a decade. I want the club to adopt a different startegy to its current one because it isn’t yielding results. When it can build 2 hugely talented sides this decade but not win anything then questions need to be asked because something is amiss. When teams likes of Sevilla with signicantly less resources can win 5 UEFA cups in the last 10 years then a change tact is required. When a mediocre Woolwich did can win 3 FA Cups in the last 4 then we need to rethink our approach. That’s what I want.

The stadium project does give us the footing to build something longer term. We as fans will outlast these players and the next ones as well. We are the constant.

And no doubt the stadium will be amazing compared to the library down the road.

And look at these names - Paok Salonika and Rubin Kazan - knocked us out of the Europa in Harry’s debut season.

Shows how far we have come this decade when you see who we have beaten / competed with this season.

With that same youngster leading the line. Roy of the Rovers stuff really.

Back
Top Bottom