Ledley King Testimonial

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just got home from the match. Honestly, it was the most enjoyable 90 minutes of football i've watched whilst being at WHL in years. Not even joking. The atmosphere with no pressure on and in party mood was brilliant. The fans from start to finish were superb and you could tell the players on the pitch really enjoyed it.

Some of my highlights.
- The fan being given the chance to be the lino.
- Freund nutmegging #62 and Holtby being in stitches.
- Holtby taking out Howard Webb.
- Robbo and Tony Parks leading the chants again for the Park Lane.
- Berba and Ginola together was class. The first 20 minutes they were a cut above.
- The fans. Just made the whole night for me. If only it was like this every week...

Best £20 i've spent for a while. Whoever missed it, you should be gutted.

Nice stuff from the Mirror - fair play.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ledley-king-testimonial-tottenham-defender-3532746?

Like my colleagues, and media around the world, it has been a joy to witness at first hand such an awesome talent in full flow. A pleasure to know the man universally respected throughout the football family. And a privilege to be involved in paying tribute to this occasion.

We live in an era where the contribution of a footballer is measured in pound signs and silverware.

The career of Ledley King - a man unable to have a kickabout with his son because of the state of his knees - shows there is so much more of a barometer than that.

Other players may have more medals. Few, however, can match him for the esteem in which he will always be held.

Still reeling from last night's result, how on earth can we concede another 6 goals at home? Worst of all it was to a bunch of ex-professionals and past-it players. Sherwood has to be held accountable for playing so many youngsters, that was a must win game and we blew it! Add that to the toxic atmosphere of our fans, booing our own players and jeering them even when we scored. He's lost the fans, he's lost the dressing room #Sherwoodout

:troll:

Anyone having a go at the MPs were, frankly twats. This was not a night for politics, just as it was not a night for managerial/player concerns. It was a night for Ledley and to raise some money for charity. Most of the booing I assumed was in jest, but coming on here just shows me how pathetic some fans are.
I think you have missed the point mate. I read the shoot out as a pantomime, the MP's were there to be booed, Paul Coyte was even encouraging it, it was all part of the entertainment.

Tottenham Hotspur legend Ledley King given rousing send-off during emotional testimonial at White Hart Lane

3022140.jpg
King was presented with a special award for services to the club by former team mate Michael Dawson
Tottenham Hotspur legend Ledley King was given a rousing send-off in front of a near capacity crowd during a jubilant testimonial match at White Hart Lane.

The former Spurs captain led out a guest XI made up of club legends from his playing days including Teddy Sheringham, David Ginola, Darren Anderton and Edgar Davids against a first team line-up.

And he saw his team run out 6-3 winners in a good natured game under the floodlights in N17.

The club sold more than 35,000 tickets for the exhibition match, money from which will be donated to the Tottenham Hotspur Foundation’s Skills project, The Willow Foundation and Bowel Cancer Awareness UK.

3022134.jpg

The packed crowd created a celebratory atmosphere from the minute both teams walked on to the pitch to form a guard of honour for King, who emerged to a rapturous reception.

The Spurs ambassador was then presented with a special award for services to the club by former team mate Michael Dawson.

One the game got underway, there were ironic boos and cheers of ‘who are ya?’ from the supporters when the first XI were on the ball, accompanied by raucous cheers and applause with every involvement from the man of the evening King.

The centre back scored 15 goals throughout his career in a Spurs shirt and of course it was King who put the Legends XI in front on 16 minutes, converting a penalty he won when he was comically wrestled to the floor by former team mates Michael Dawson and Younes Kaboul from a corner.

3022135.jpg

Referee Howard Webb played up to the comical element to the evening, pretending to aggressively deal with Michael Dawson at every foul and eventually booking the defender to cheers from the crowd.

And on minute 26, the number worn by King throughout his career at Spurs, the crowd rose to give him his first standing ovation of the night during a minute’s applause.

Adebayor levelled the game up with the second penalty of the night after he was brought down by King, before Edgar Davids rolled back the years with some neat dribbling through the middle of the park.

3022136.jpg

Teddy Sheringham brought fond memories back to the White Hart Lane faithful when he brilliantly finished Dimitar Berbatov’s lay-off from the edge of the area, slotting the ball into the bottom corner before wheeling away along the touchline.

And Sheringham made it 3-1 when he pounced on Berbatov’s shot that was initially blocked by Friedel.

3022137.jpg

The changes were rung at half time after a penalty shoot-out in the interval between a team of MPs, including Tottenham representative David Lammy and Enfield and Southgate politician David Burrowes, and team of legends from Spurs’ 1984 European Cup winning team, who were joined by King.

Every goal scored raised another £50 towards King’s chosen charities, with the Legends winning 5-2.

Both teams were replaced at half time with fresh legs and Nathan Oduwa got one back for the first team when he cleverly chipped over Paul Robinson to make it 3-2.

But Louis Saha restored the advantage for the Legends when he slotted home from the right hand side.

King was brought off to a standing ovation with 25 minutes to play, with the 35,000-strong crowd singing his name as he took his place in the dugout.

3022138.jpg

Steffen Freund came on to jubilant reception before Saha made it 5-2 to the Legends, and the crowd maintained the good atmosphere late into the game – at one stage breaking into a Mexican wave.

Capoue scored for the Spurs XI from long range to make it 5-3 with 15 minutes to play, and Louis Saha drilled the ball into the back of the net with the final kick of the game to round off a captivating evening at White Hart Lane.

A tearful King then addressed the crowd over the PA system to thank them for their support over the years before taking to the pitch one last time to another standing ovation.

Spurs starting line-up: Friedel, Naughton, Fryers, Veljkovic, Dawson, Ogilvie, McEvoy, Sandro, Obika, Adebayor, Eriksen.

Ledley Guest XI starting line-up: Sullivan, Brown, Tainio, Parker, King, Perry, Anderton, Davids, Berbatov, Sheringham, Ginola.

Spurs 2nd half XI: Archer; Fredericks, McQueen, Ogilvie, Walker-Peters; McEneff, Capoue, Holtby, Pritchard; Obika, Oduwa.

Guest XI 2nd half: Robinson; Young, Chimbonda, King, Stalteri; Fox, Palacios, Tainio, Davies; Crouch, Saha.

I can't wait for tonight, I've not been this excited for a game since.. I don't know when.

I'm just hoping a few don't ruin it.

You can hate Levy, Sherwood and the current squad tomorrow.
You can hate Woolwich, Chelsea and West Ham tomorrow.
You can hate Judas or any other particular player you've got a dislike for tomorrow.

Pro Spurs tonight. It's that simple.
If you can't turn up with that mindset please make tonight your last visit to the Lane.

COYS! I fancy us to win this one!

Just got home from the match. Honestly, it was the most enjoyable 90 minutes of football i've watched whilst being at WHL in years. Not even joking. The atmosphere with no pressure on and in party mood was brilliant. The fans from start to finish were superb and you could tell the players on the pitch really enjoyed it.

Some of my highlights.
- The fan being given the chance to be the lino.
- Freund nutmegging #62 and Holtby being in stitches.
- Holtby taking out Howard Webb.
- Robbo and Tony Parks leading the chants again for the Park Lane.
- Berba and Ginola together was class. The first 20 minutes they were a cut above.
- The fans. Just made the whole night for me. If only it was like this every week...

Best £20 i've spent for a while. Whoever missed it, you should be gutted.

Wasn't it the bollocks.

So many highlights like you say. Some you haven't mentioned.

Ruel Fox peeling back the years and being the cats dick, showing our youngsters a clean set of heels everytime he had the ball.
Holtby tackling Freund hard then Freund going in hard on him and Holtby pretending he was badly injured. Freund shit a brick for a moment. That kid is so funny.
Webb playing for Ledleys XI. He can play a bit!
Anderton and sheringham doing their corner set piece. Nearly came off too.
The crouch song about his lovely wife.
Even the Mexican wave was fun and not corny.
Grahame Roberts being fatter than Ruddock.

Loads more. Had a smile on my face for the whole match.

Best time I've had at the lane since the 5-0 against Newcastle. But this was more emotional.

One thing though, I wish they would have announced the teams at the start of the second half.

Top night.

Why anyone would boo Gareth Bale is beyond me.

I can only imagine that he's thinking "thank fuck for that" seeing the charades of this season. He gave us an awful lot and left us with £86m to replace him - can't fault him even if that money wasn't completely well spent

I've reached the point with all the Ledley stuff that I just want to cry because I miss him too much.

Nothing is more Spursy than Ledley's career. Maybe the best center half the Premier League has ever seen with his career ruined by injuries.

But the Spursiest part of it all was not that his career was ended instantly by injury but rather that he continued to play in limited games. Every time he played we'd be reminded about how fucking amazing he was all the while knowing that we had no idea when he'd be able to be back on the pitch again. For me, that is the ultimate metaphor for Spurs. Games where things were brilliant followed by days, weeks, and months of despair and uncertainty.

There's no justice in the world.

Back
Top Bottom