Ledley King Testimonial

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

so like all the now paedo then 80's childrens TV hosts once said please send in your lovely photos of Ledleys game for those stuck on the forum to enjoy, especially howard webb being twatted if possible

I'm glad I'm not the only one, I've got two Italian papers and a maths exam tomorrow, currently switching between twitter and my calculator :walkercry:
Make that three of us. I've got 2 chemistry finals and a cell bio at the end of this week. I was watching the game updates more than my textbook over the past 2 hours.

So who recorded spurs tv and has a torrent up?

Following on twitter it looks like it was a grand time. Can't imagine when it'll be repeated. Maybe in 2028, when Bentaleb retires.

So who recorded spurs tv and has a torrent up?

Following on twitter it looks like it was a grand time. Can't imagine when it'll be repeated. Maybe in 2028, when Bentaleb retires.

Apparently the highlights on the SpursTV from tomorrow - so if one of the tech minded fellows can make a torrent that would be ace too

Tottenham Hotspur legend Ledley King given rousing send-off during emotional testimonial at White Hart Lane

3022140.jpg
King was presented with a special award for services to the club by former team mate Michael Dawson
Tottenham Hotspur legend Ledley King was given a rousing send-off in front of a near capacity crowd during a jubilant testimonial match at White Hart Lane.

The former Spurs captain led out a guest XI made up of club legends from his playing days including Teddy Sheringham, David Ginola, Darren Anderton and Edgar Davids against a first team line-up.

And he saw his team run out 6-3 winners in a good natured game under the floodlights in N17.

The club sold more than 35,000 tickets for the exhibition match, money from which will be donated to the Tottenham Hotspur Foundation’s Skills project, The Willow Foundation and Bowel Cancer Awareness UK.

3022134.jpg

The packed crowd created a celebratory atmosphere from the minute both teams walked on to the pitch to form a guard of honour for King, who emerged to a rapturous reception.

The Spurs ambassador was then presented with a special award for services to the club by former team mate Michael Dawson.

One the game got underway, there were ironic boos and cheers of ‘who are ya?’ from the supporters when the first XI were on the ball, accompanied by raucous cheers and applause with every involvement from the man of the evening King.

The centre back scored 15 goals throughout his career in a Spurs shirt and of course it was King who put the Legends XI in front on 16 minutes, converting a penalty he won when he was comically wrestled to the floor by former team mates Michael Dawson and Younes Kaboul from a corner.

3022135.jpg

Referee Howard Webb played up to the comical element to the evening, pretending to aggressively deal with Michael Dawson at every foul and eventually booking the defender to cheers from the crowd.

And on minute 26, the number worn by King throughout his career at Spurs, the crowd rose to give him his first standing ovation of the night during a minute’s applause.

Adebayor levelled the game up with the second penalty of the night after he was brought down by King, before Edgar Davids rolled back the years with some neat dribbling through the middle of the park.

3022136.jpg

Teddy Sheringham brought fond memories back to the White Hart Lane faithful when he brilliantly finished Dimitar Berbatov’s lay-off from the edge of the area, slotting the ball into the bottom corner before wheeling away along the touchline.

And Sheringham made it 3-1 when he pounced on Berbatov’s shot that was initially blocked by Friedel.

3022137.jpg

The changes were rung at half time after a penalty shoot-out in the interval between a team of MPs, including Tottenham representative David Lammy and Enfield and Southgate politician David Burrowes, and team of legends from Spurs’ 1984 European Cup winning team, who were joined by King.

Every goal scored raised another £50 towards King’s chosen charities, with the Legends winning 5-2.

Both teams were replaced at half time with fresh legs and Nathan Oduwa got one back for the first team when he cleverly chipped over Paul Robinson to make it 3-2.

But Louis Saha restored the advantage for the Legends when he slotted home from the right hand side.

King was brought off to a standing ovation with 25 minutes to play, with the 35,000-strong crowd singing his name as he took his place in the dugout.

3022138.jpg

Steffen Freund came on to jubilant reception before Saha made it 5-2 to the Legends, and the crowd maintained the good atmosphere late into the game – at one stage breaking into a Mexican wave.

Capoue scored for the Spurs XI from long range to make it 5-3 with 15 minutes to play, and Louis Saha drilled the ball into the back of the net with the final kick of the game to round off a captivating evening at White Hart Lane.

A tearful King then addressed the crowd over the PA system to thank them for their support over the years before taking to the pitch one last time to another standing ovation.

Spurs starting line-up: Friedel, Naughton, Fryers, Veljkovic, Dawson, Ogilvie, McEvoy, Sandro, Obika, Adebayor, Eriksen.

Ledley Guest XI starting line-up: Sullivan, Brown, Tainio, Parker, King, Perry, Anderton, Davids, Berbatov, Sheringham, Ginola.

Spurs 2nd half XI: Archer; Fredericks, McQueen, Ogilvie, Walker-Peters; McEneff, Capoue, Holtby, Pritchard; Obika, Oduwa.

Guest XI 2nd half: Robinson; Young, Chimbonda, King, Stalteri; Fox, Palacios, Tainio, Davies; Crouch, Saha.

Hat trick...... Cheeky bid :saha:
You joke, but it got me thinking. Why don't we bring a few of the older players back for at least the first half of next season (obviously not actually Saha) just to bring some unity to the squad and get it rolling. I'm sure they wouldn't mind being payed relatively small amounts and imagine how it could lift the team.

All in all a cracking night....
God save our Ledley King got a couple of outings (much to my own personal joy!)
The only mildly annoying aspect of the evening was that both John Terry and Sol Campbell's names got plenty of renditions... Of all the nights to banish those two names from inside White Hart Lane, this was it.... Is WAS Ledley's night, after all!!
ah well, you can't change the bitter small club mentality of some can you?
Shame that the Lane was echoing to the sound of those two pieces of shit, but what can you do?

Just got home from the match. Honestly, it was the most enjoyable 90 minutes of football i've watched whilst being at WHL in years. Not even joking. The atmosphere with no pressure on and in party mood was brilliant. The fans from start to finish were superb and you could tell the players on the pitch really enjoyed it.

Some of my highlights.
- The fan being given the chance to be the lino.
- Freund nutmegging #62 and Holtby being in stitches.
- Holtby taking out Howard Webb.
- Robbo and Tony Parks leading the chants again for the Park Lane.
- Berba and Ginola together was class. The first 20 minutes they were a cut above.
- The fans. Just made the whole night for me. If only it was like this every week...

Best £20 i've spent for a while. Whoever missed it, you should be gutted.

Just heard from my Sister at lane:, she said ity was overwhelming, stadium full every seat, nobody moved at half time nobody left at the end full of proper spurs fans, no tourists or moaners who have polluted the atmosphere all season - key highlights:

Howard Webb passed the ball to Ledleys team thats why Holtby caned him up
Robbo was loving it, he was giving a wave for 30 mins with constant englands number 1 chants
Freund, Davids and Anderton were really good
Lewis Holtby we want you to stay was sung for 10 mins
Who are ya? was sung at the spurs first team constantly
Everyone stood up for 5 mins of stand up if you love ledley
The noise was incredible
Kaboul picked up Davids and ran into the box with him

Really gutted I couldnt be there

Back
Top Bottom