Tottenham v Gillingham-Football League Cup- 3rd round

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

tumblr_odvjltO09c1r8e765o1_500.gif

tumblr_odvjltO09c1r8e765o5_500.gif

tumblr_odvjltO09c1r8e765o6_500.gif

tumblr_odvjltO09c1r8e765o9_500.gif

tumblr_odvjltO09c1r8e765o7_500.gif

Edwards looks like a player you create on FIFA or ISS and give him minimum height and weight and maximum dribble just for jokes

CCV - What a player he's gonna be. We're in safe hands when Jan and Toby get old and wise.
Wimmer - Like a technically gifted Daws. Lead CCV admirably tonight. Should be pushing Jan.Where have you been?!
Winks - I did not realise he was that good. Granted, it was Gillingham but his distribution, his movement, his composure were all tremendous. Dare I say, Modric-esque?
Onomah - Beefed up and was excellent, link up play was awesome and that was some finish
Trippier, Carroll and Davies - Did what professionals do, lead the youngsters with solid performances. Nowt flashy, but they never are. Trippier may be the best crosser in the squad.
Lamela and Eriksen - Unfair. Just unfair on Gillingham to play against players that far above them. Especially when they both decide they were gonna mack it. Made the night comfortable, allowing others to thrive.
Janssen - Missed a load but who cares. Looks to be an excellent buy. Hold up play was as good as I've seen anyone in the last 20 years for Spurs. All the attributes to be a very good #9.

N'Koudou - Moments of excellence (that pass!) but seemed too keen to impress. Seems ambitious with his passing not unlike Lamela which'll both frustrate and impress. Pace is ridiculous. Raw but he'll be very useful off the bench with great potential
Edwards - Poch was right, he is very reminiscent of Messi. Those one-two's off the wing, jinking past a player to shoot on his left. Such composure and confidence for a 17 year old. Be excited.
Wilkes - Did his job, didn't really get enough time to show what he's about but another debut is very impressive.

I am fucking hyped.

P.s. Oh yea, Vorm.

Super game. Controlled from start to finish. Not a bad player on the pitch. Special mentions for Winks who was beautiful to watch, with Carroll next to him they ran the midfield. Lamela looked sublime, I know I bang on about his work rate but to see him pressing like a dervish 5-0 up in the 80th min fuck me, name me one player in the league that does that, just 1? Winner and CCV didn't put a foot wrong.

Up the Spurs!

Janssen looks absolutely brilliant in my opinion. His instincts, his movement, his hard work and his great link-up play makes him a potentially near-perfect striker. If he keeps working as hard as he does, he'll start scoring soon enough.

I think the fella who came on was their number 1 keeper. Not rating the bloke as clearly he had his level. But number 3 keeper I doubt. He got a good reaction from their fans too, suggests he was the number 1.

Winks and Carroll great last night. Lovely to see us playing football through the middle more than the wings

Nelson has been our first choice for 4 seasons, but started this season with absolute howlers in 3 of the first 5 games so was dropped for Bond (on loan from Reading) who went off at WHL. Nels is indeed a fans favourite, but most recognise that at best he's badly short of confidence, or at worst he's had his day. I personally don't think he was our problem on Wednesday.

Although Gills fans enjoyed the experience and supported the team throughout, the post-mortem has been pretty scathing. We expected Spurs' class to show and few thought we would get anything, but the lack of any fight or attacking intent from us was pathetic and thoroughly embarrassing. The knives are out for Edinburgh as well as a few of our 'star players' who did nothing. We've been rolling over for teams like Port Vale and Scunthorpe, and I assumed the players had their minds on Spurs and we're saving themselves. The fact we pulled out an even worse performance for the game everyone at Gills has been going on about, makes me think that something's very wrong with how they're being managed. Real shame because Edinburgh really impressed me until recent weeks.

That said, Spurs were excellent. The young players have had all the praise they deserved, but what struck me was how Erikssen and Lamela (not necessarily players you'd think of as leaders) really stepped up as the senior pros of a mostly young team. You'd have been a match for most teams, and I'm sorry we totally failed to give you a match. Good luck against Lipewl.

Back
Top Bottom