Tottenham Hotspur v Chelsea (3rd December)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Absolutely fizzing at work. Can't wait for tonight. I can't wait to be standing on the upper tier, facing the family enclosure, scarf over my face, hood up - arms out wide. As I hear in the background Chelsea score their 11th of the first half. I'm eyeing up anyone who looks like an easy target. Balding fat men with their kids or Japanese tourists... you make eye contact with me tonight I'm going to make cut throat signs at you.

Yids on tour.

:pochsmirk:

If the team have the same performance as they did yesterday, I won't be too bothered about losing. Some teams are better than you, that's ok, but not putting in 100% effort is inexcusable.

Costa is a lucky bitch. Fazio has already exhibited a distinct lack of fucks when it comes to red cards. Would've definitely done the cunt had he not got this "injury".

Was afraid of having to deal with Fazio again.

019cadb0-8157-11e3-bb36-7054d21a8f10.gif.pagespeed.ce.me_OrqKbr6.gif

The thing that frustrates me and I'm pretty sure frustrates most of you is that we can see the ability out there but it just doesn't click or remain consistent from week to week. For me I think the only explanation is this is what you get when your transfer policy is built around signing mostly players with potential in their early 20s.

Part of the problem is the FIFA/FM lens of looking at things that we've all become accustomed to. When we get linked to a player that is like 25 or 26, I immediately think they guy is pretty old. Well no he's fucking not, that isn't old in the real footballing world. But playing video game football it's all about wonderkids and potential, we talk about it like this all the time jokingly but it has colored a lot of our thinking, including my own.

It's simple, it's really difficult to throw out the likes of Lamela, Kane, Mason, Eriksen, Bentaleb, Dier, Townsend Davies etc. and expect them to thrive immediately because they have bright futures ahead of them. Kane, Mason, Dier, and Bentaleb don't even have two seasons worth of appearances combined. Lamela barely played last season and really only had one full season at Roma. Eriksen basically has more experience than all of them combined. Even though I'd argue Lennon is a less talented than all of them, you can see he has a comfort, poise, and influence that the others lack just because he's been around the block.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the ball: when Terry made his Chelsea debut Ryan Mason was 8, Bentaleb was three! Branislav Ivanovic who came to England in 2008 has more Prem appearances than Eriksen, Vertonghen, Fazio, Chiriches, Mason, Bentaleb, Kane, and Lamela combined. 6 of Chelsea's 11 starters have played in a Champion's League final.

Ultimately, we talk about transitional seasons due to having a new manager but for me it is a transitional period because of the young players. Our transfer policy has been based around buying young talent, we've promoted four academy prospects in the last two seasons and it seems like more is on the way, and our supposed veteran leaders seem like the trouble makers. Fundamentally we are a team based around inexperienced talent. We need to stop thinking about them as fifa ratings and potential and remember a lot of them are young talents learning their craft. The trick or treat nature of this side will continue until our young talent reaches emotional and footballing maturity, that's the harsh reality.

As with all things we have to wait for time to work it's magic. It sucks but that is how it is. Chelsea are the perfect example of the value of experience and how development works in fits and starts (Matic for example). If we continue to rely on our young talent I'm certain we can end up with in the future.

Up the Spurs.

Poch said Kane is tired and may need resting. Mason has played none-stop for past few weeks and is injury prone. Could do with a rest.

For me the Chelsea game is a no-hoper. Should just be used to rest players. We play 7 games in 21 days (A game every 3-4 days) for the next month, going to be hard to keep them fit if they play against Chelsea.

I believe it was Bill Nicholson who said, "We of Spurs have set our sights very low, so low in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of pussy."

I approached this game by not giving a shit about the result and only looking for a good performance, and that's exactly what I got. And I'm not at all the kind of person who tries to put a positive spin on every defeat, in fact I'm usually the guy who is trying to downplay the hype after a win. But tonight I'm honestly so proud of our Spurs. There were so many encouraging performances out there.
Fazio was solid and assured at the back. Bentaleb was fantastic in possession and passed the ball accurately all night. Eriksen worked hard yet again and didn't sulk for not being in his preferred position or whatever.
Kane was just.......magnificent...yet again; I love this boy. He has come out of nowhere to become the heart, soul and shining light of this team and gives so much in every match. He never stops running and fighting. And he isn't just passion and energy; he is a strong and intelligent player with good control, and someone who has a real sense of responsibility for his role in the team. And he does it all very naturally, without having some bullshit act or being a cunt. He should be the first name on the team sheet every week if he is fit.
Chadli and Paulinho both had good cameos, and Chadli should have started ahead of Lamela imo.
However Chiriches is a liability; I can see exactly the mistake he is going to make 5 seconds before he makes it, every time. I want to like him, I can appreciate the quality he has on the ball at times, and I hope he proves me wrong, but right now he just cannot be trusted in these kinds of games.

Overall, we played as well tonight as we did against Everton. It was just a different level of opposition we had to contend with this time. But I'm honestly not discouraged one bit, I'm actually looking forward to the next match and I cannot remember the last time I've felt this way about Spurs, because I can finally see us showing a distinct identity and style, and more importantly we are just starting to build. I feel that the manager has identified the players (mostly younger/smaller players) who he trusts the most to work hard in pressing and closing people down, in order to win the ball back higher up the pitch, then also be able to pass it fluently and counter-attack with speed. It's just a case of fine tuning the starting XI and continuing to practice this philosophy, and we could finally have a team with real direction and purpose.

Injuries are related to playing time/frequency of games/strain during games/luck.

He's played a lot. Check.
He's played quite a number of games recently. Check.
He's put in a huge shift 3 days ago? Check.
Manager says he's tired and may rest him? Check.
We're Spurs, our luck is always shit. Check.

Give him a week off, skip Chelsea, play against Palace, skip Turkey.

We've not won there in 24 years. 0 wins. Nada. Zilch. We've lost whether we throw the game or not and we shouldn't expect otherwise. Rest key players and then smash the Xmas period.
Some of us actually pay money to go to these games! I expect a team put out with the intent of competing.

Everyone having a pop at Harry for missing that header. Get a grip and watch it again you melters.
Any other striker apart from crouch and it would of floated over into nothing.
Embarrassing fans.

Yeah fuck this "pack the midfield to counter them" bollocks. We're Tottenham fucking Hotspur and we'll take our game to these cunts

Lloris
Vertonghen
Mason Bentaleb
Lennon Eriksen Lamela Chadli Townsend
Kane Soldado
19-0, Terry red card, Mourinho to pick up a three game touchline ban for punching the fourth official

i'm anxious a little looking at my watch to see how many minutes remained until kick-off,the match is Live also in Romania...I have goosebumps all over,similar with fear,i remember when i was teenager, in bed naked with a girl for the first time in my life...lucky for me i had a brandy with me to give me courage... at the time.
we played pretty well in away matches this season winning some important points...doesn't matter who will start today ,i want a good match ,similar good level against Everton for us...

Back
Top Bottom