Tottenham Hotspur v Chelsea (3rd December)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah sorry couldn't be arsed reading through 15 pages of mad starting line-ups and mental player assessments! :nawty: "Khumalo should start after his performance for the U-21's" "Why isn't Pritchard starting!?" ... etc

We need to show that we aren't just going to roll over to these big boys. One thing that impressed me against Everton was that we went 1-0 down but our heads didn't drop. We got a quick equaliser and just kept going for the win, scoring a vital goal on the stroke of HT.

If we can show the same grit and determination against Chelsea I'll be very impressed. Losing 3 or 4 nil at home will simply not be good enough though.

I always remember the game away to Chelsea where Sandro scored a few seasons back. We still lost but by god we went out there and played. We got tight, chased the ball down and had a real go.

There was no shame in that defeat, just disappointment.

I always remember the game away to Chelsea where Sandro scored a few seasons back. We still lost but by god we went out there and played. We got tight, chased the ball down and had a real go.

that was the game where we played Lennon up front in the middle and he scared their two centre backs shitless. Loved that, and would love to see it used as a tactic more often.

We need to leave expectations at the door tonight... ANY result (less than a spanking) would represent a better performance than the debacle there last season, and constitute some kind of improvement.
It seems most people are hoping for a gutsy performance, but not holding out much hope that it will be enough to prevent the seemingly inevitable!
Well, I'm just putting an almost impossible vaguely half-positive spin on this one: it could be 1990 all over again if we're careful... and every other year since if we're not!!

We done alright there for an hour last season before Vertonghen's wank back pass and a crap call from the ref to give a pen/red then we just folded as we often do. Lets have 'em tonight for 90 minutes.

We were a bigger club than Woolwich once. Then some dubious dealings re relegation and promotion plus their move to North London, got them eventually established as one of the three biggest clubs in the country. Us students of Spurs history remember how it happened, but to the world as a whole we're very much in the minority and it's accepted that Woolwich are bigger than us by the vast majority of football fans who are interested in such distinctions.

Same thing will happen with Chelsea and City, however they came by being bigger than us, in time it'll simply be accepted they are now bigger than Spurs by most fans, whatever us Spurs fans might think. I already think they are both bigger clubs than us. Winning their first Prem title sealed it for Chelsea IMO, winning their 2nd Prem title sealed it for City I think.

Chelsea and City winning the lottery was the best thing that ever happened to those clubs, and it's a constant source of regret to me that our owners are nowhere near as good for our club as the owners of those two clubs are for them.

Interesting that not only have you dropped Kane, but also Mason? Any reasoning behind?
Mason seemed tired in the Everton game already and he is injury prone, he needs a break today. I know, that everybody wants to see Kane (me aswell), but today I hope that Chadli will start. He should be 100% fit and he always scores the goals. We have a big squad and alot of big games are coming up. it's important to give the whole squad a run now.

I would also love to see Lamela, but I think he just wouldn't do any good against Azplilicueta or Ivanovic.

Interesting that not only have you dropped Kane, but also Mason? Any reasoning behind?

Poch said Kane is tired and may need resting. Mason has played none-stop for past few weeks and is injury prone. Could do with a rest.

For me the Chelsea game is a no-hoper. Should just be used to rest players. We play 7 games in 21 days (A game every 3-4 days) for the next month, going to be hard to keep them fit if they play against Chelsea.

Mason seemed tired in the Everton game already and he is injury prone, he needs a break today. I know, that everybody wants to see Kane (me aswell), but today I hope that Chadli will start. He should be 100% fit and he always scores the goals. We have a big squad and alot of big games are coming up. it's important to give the whole squad a run now.

I would also love to see Lamela, but I think he just wouldn't do any good against Azplilicueta or Ivanovic.

Playing a settled side is far more important IMO.

Regardless of that you don't rest players against Chelsea.

Another classic example of extremely dodgy decisions stopping us from securing a great result at a big team. Pretty sure that was the game Lampard scored a goal that didn't cross the line and the winner came from an offside Kalou goal? Just remember feeling sad that Sandro's first ever goal (which was a worldy no less) would be forgotten about in the years to come due to the overall result being a loss!

I know it's pessimistic but I can't see us getting anything from tonight. Chelsea have so many would class players and as others have said, Hazard is going to have a field day against Dier/Chiriches tonight. I'll just be happy if we show the same levels of effort and determination as we did on Sunday and avoid an embarrassing defeat!

As an aside, how come every time we seem to get out of our negative goal difference do we come up against a team that routinely puts 3 or 4 past us?

Difficult one to call about fitness, the smurfs have had an extra days rest than us. plus the shift we collectively put in against Everton was immense may be a factor.

But that said I agree with Eskimo Eskimo to rest players against this scum, no thanks. Confidence is high and everyone for the first time bought into Poch's system and the fans loved it to. Kill them.

Back
Top Bottom