Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley (Turf Moor, 23rd Feb 2019, 12:30)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Some in here banging on about "mentality".

The key to any successful team sport is having players with the right character. Everything else can be trained ball skill, tactics, tackling, systems and how to defend and attack and the mental game.

No man (or woman for that matter) has been born that can train any human to change his or her character, he or she either has the right character to play in a participation sport or not. The same can even be said about staffing at a company.

On a second point, it's fucking obvious to any Spurs fan, that we haven't replaced Dembele. We may need to add a player here or there in the Summer, but we have never looked solid, or have pressed from the middle two midfielders since he left.

That position is paramount and needs to be filled as a priority.
McGinn.

Now you cunts begin to see.

Hoped that I’d have calmed down by now from the pain of this defeat. No chance. Just getting worse and worse. Rugby didn’t help. I’m just puzzled as to why we didn’t go at then from the off with maximum intensity. Like many, with the break we’ve had, I’m just baffled at the lack of energy in the performance. We honestly had a decent chance of challenging for the league. Another failure when a wee bit of pressure is on and an opportunity is there for the taking. Fucking bollocks.
I was strangely calm and accepting of the defeat straight after, but the more I've thought on it the angrier I've become. Especially since reading Poch's comments where it's clear he feels hurt and let down by their apathetic, gutless display. Yes, he made some cock ups - selecting Foyth, haphazard subs, woeful corner routines, etc - but there was such a lack of fight, grit, energy and quality at crucial moments from so many players (Kane apart). Missed opportunity to make a statement. Sadly not for the first time.

Our players being tired or needing a break is a lazy excuse. Same was thrown at Kane earlier in the season when he was under performing.

I hate it when we have a break because we almost never perform following it. Absolutely dreading that 3 week without games next month. Not only is it going to be boring but it's likely we will probably drop points on return if history is anything to go by.
Yep, we are historically shit whenever we have long periods off. It never does us any good, and I never see any improvements in things like set-pieces where the cunts have weeks to come up with routines. I mean, did you see our short corner "routines" today - brainless ad hoc shit. 3 weeks off then we go to Anfield...fuck me.

Genuinely hope Mike Dean gets the absolute shit kicked out of him. Proper cunt.
You've lost your grip on reality if you think he had any bearing on us losing. He's a shit ref agreed but each of the key decisions had a near equivalent the other way. The corner/the throw in. The tackle on Rose/Foyth's tackle.

We did it to ourselves, we did, and that's what really hurts. Us and no one else.

Last edited:
The magnitude of the dortmund result coupled with break was a toxic mix. They thought they could just turn up. Poch must be livid, but surely its his job to detect the attitude of players in training and drop big names if needs be. Weirdest ever season continues to weird.

drop big names if needs be

I hate to draw it back to last summer and what a waste it was but...

There is little competition for places. If Eriksen (and others) are fit, they play, regardless of their previous performance because there is no-one to replace them. We had a good idea that Dembele might go ... but no replacement. Winks has been our star since Christmas, what if he'd picked up another injury?

Now, before the "look at the table delusionists" start up. We are third despite our squad being wafer thin, not because of it. There is no depth and consequent competition for places.

Any squad needs to be able to survive: suspensions, injuries and loss of form. As Keane said "Every pre-season I expected to see two or three new faces in the changing room" The squad needs to be constantly refreshed at every summer transfer window.

If Eriksen goes to RM they would not tolerate such average performances. Two in a row and he'd be dropped.

You've lost your grip on reality if you think he had any bearing on us losing. He's a shit ref agreed but each of the key decisions had a near equivalent the other way. The corner/the throw in. The tackle on Rose/Foyth's tackle.

We did it to ourselves, we did, and that's what really hurts. Us and no one else.

True, but Mike Dean is still a cunt.

I think this has finally shown us that Levy needs to shit or get off the pot! We simply don't have a strong enough squad to go all the way. Sissoko, Trippier, Sanchez to name but a few. Look at M.C's bench. Or Liverpool. We simply don't have the strength in depth and Poch is hamstrung. Wasting millions on a stadium where we'll probably lose.
Levy MUST GO if we're ever to have a chance of glory and silverware.

Had time to sober up and think exactly the same "FUCK OFF YOU UTTER CUNT"

How fucking entitled are you? It's like your parent's have just bought you a Bugatti Veyron and you're calling them bitches because it's not the Super Sport model ... what a horrible spoilt brat you must have been

I'm glad you hate the stadium, hope to fuck you never set foot in the place, that would be about as hypocritical as you can get ... which probably sums you up nicely

Best squad and best four years off results we've had in EPL history, and still you feel entitled to complain, sorry to tell you but you're not entitled to fuck all, don't like it don't watch, it's simple.

If you admire City and the Dippers so much you know what to do, for sure you won't be missed. If you sat anywhere near the SCS and started your Levy out shit you'd soon find out what true fans think.

When you've built us into one of the top ten clubs in the world you will have earned the right criticize, until they you just come off as some whinging entitled cunt ... slink back into your hole until our next defeat, it's wankers like you who must go not DL, and in your case the sooner the better.

Edit - maybe not as sober as I thought

Last edited:
bottling it or losing your bottle means you lacked the courage or intent to go on the offensive, not that we missed a header at a corner, or they scored from a scuffed attempt on goal.
If you think their way of playing football is worthy - or worthwhile then go support them.
personally I hate that style of game play.
We didn't bottle anything. We ballsed things up - but thats a different thing altogether.

Not sure why they are getting such negative response. How else do you expect a team scrapping down the bottom to play? They arent gifted with players good enough to play beautiful football so they work at stopping us playing and doing what it takes to survive in the league
Our failure to win is on us inc poch. We didn't deserve anything out of the game.

Different sport here but the winning mentality mindset should never be underestimated...The NFL’s New England Patriots.
Going into the season that has just past no one gave them a chance, even when they made it to the playoffs the doubters still questioned them, Brady is past it, the Gronk is held together by duct tape, surly they can’t keep going is what the experts said.
As the media world drooled over a young flamboyant QB in Patrick Mahomes with the Chiefs (NFL MVP) the powerfull running game of the Rams with a young risk taking head coach in Sean McVeigh at the helm, and the thought of a fairy tail ending for Drew Brees at the Saints, who had arguably the best all round game of any team in the league, everyone overlooked that one thing the Patriots possessed, Mentality!!

Considering how awful and boring our football has been this season , I think we should all be delighted we are in 3rd position . It’s a miracle really .
Shame we threw away domestic competitions again . We could have been in a cup final today . Instead we are all singing the blues because we lost to Burnley .

Back
Top Bottom