Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley (Turf Moor, 23rd Feb 2019, 12:30)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agree with that. Noticed a different team spirit when Kane was out this season. All the players dug deep. Yesterday it was like they all were waiting for Kane to do something to get us a result. As I said yesterday, Son was absolutely anonymous by his usual standards and I can't help but feel rushing Kane back was not the move to make yesterday. I know he scored, but potentially at the expense of a vital win for us.

Still puzzled by Winks substitution yesterday. Sucked all the momentum out of the game for us at a time when we were dictating it. Maybe that's why Poch was so furious as he realised he made some tactical blunders after a few games of getting it spot on?

Yep good post.

We have superb team spirit so Kane's return is brilliant but that needed to be with all the right messages.

As a player Son needs to be on it 100% all the time though, as does everyone else.

It felt like Pochettino was completely baffled by how we played and that carried through with his substitutions and post match rant at Dean.

A really bad day at the office at the very wrong time.

I'm not the fucking idiot that thinks Aurier's much better than Trippier. Did you enjoy his kung fu football today?
I think he was 5/10 not a great game but Toby was no more than 6/10, Jan 6/10, Eriksen 5/10, Sissoko 4/10, Winks 5/10, Son 3/10. For me only Rose and Kane was any good (8/10 & 7/10 respectfully) and Kane barely touched the ball.

So, back to you holding onto confirmation bias with players in our team, NEVER rating the individual game performance, ALLWAYS judging based off something else. What point are you trying to make? What was the point of you tagging me? Do you think I was going to say he had a great game?

Yes, he's better than Trippier.
200.gif

Look on the bright side, at least we don’t have to pay to watch that boring, turgid anti-football week in week out.
There are too many teams like Burnley in our league but I do believe they are the worst.
Yes they won and will probably live off that win for the next 10 years but every week they have to put up with watching their team trying to stop the other team playing any form of football.
I wish someone would tell them that football is a form of entertainment, not a let’s see if we can suck any enjoyment out of the game.
Nothing against them as a club but as a team they are ridiculously boring.
I’d stop going if I had to watch what they turn out every week.

To be fair I didnt see much anti football....they just defended better than us, played to their strengths, and exposed our weaknesses.
We literally cant afford another defeat this season now, and while beating Chelsea will be the perfect tonic, a part of me will just be sitting there saying "we'd be top now", if Utd beat Liverpool.

With all the things wrong with our squad and manager it's a wonder we win any fucking games...

There's about 4-5 posters that have come out of the woodwork since yesterday's result. I honestly wonder why they bother supporting the team.

Mad isn't it, equalled our record wins away from home after making no new signings, no home advantage, stadium delays leaving fans so disgruntled that we've been leaving Wembley 2/3rds empty and it's all radio silence. The moment something doesn't quite go to plan the 'I told you so' brigade rear their heads. I think I must have grown up in a different era to them mate, unbelievable how quickly some turn on the club and how it's been developing over the past few seasons

With all the things wrong with our squad and manager it's a wonder we win any fucking games...

There's a lot right, and whats frustrating for me is that we can play like we did at Barcelona and against Dortmund, and wipe the floor with Chelsea one week, then lose to them the next, ditto Utd...

We are so erratic, and our biggest opponent is ourselves.

It woud actually be easier if we simply were'nt good enough. But we are, and just keep falling short due to the same tiresome issues.

No leadership in the middle, 17 shots one goal, Poch flitting between Rinus Michels one week and Fat Sam the next, "key" players that wont be dropped or subbed off even when shite, not having the bollocks to get in touching distance of the leaders every single time a crunch match pops up, not defending corners, the abandonment of pressing.

Its all self inflicted.

To be fair I didnt see much anti football....they just defended better than us, played to their strengths, and exposed our weaknesses.
We literally cant afford another defeat this season now, and while beating Chelsea will be the perfect tonic, a part of me will just be sitting there saying "we'd be top now", if Utd beat Liverpool.

If we could have gone top by beating Chelsea then they would have found a way to beat us, or even worse ruin our undrawables season, :pochfacepalm:so poch played a blinder yesterday as he knows the Chelsea game is also 6 pointer in terms of the top 4 and now that the pressure is off we will win midweek and pretty much secure top 4 by beating the goons as well! He is magic you know! :pochlol:

The first half they literally had everyone behind the ball. Second half they started to move forward in small stages.
The game I had to endure at Wembley was the single most disgusting display of anti football I have ever seen. Eriksen scoring at the death was more enjoyable than winning 5-0 and that was purely because they got exactly what they deserved.
The fans pay a lot of money to follow their team and they deserve to be entertained.
Look at how buoyant we were when we beat Dortmund, that was because we played some scintillating football which created an amazing atmosphere.
The day is so much more enjoyable if you witness amazing football. There is nothing worse than sitting there struggling to stay awake because you are witnessing a completely dull non event.

Yes you play to your strengths but how do they know their strengths aren’t taking the game to the opposition? Burnley have decent players and could cause teams many problems but not when all 11 are behind the ball in their own half.

It woud actually be easier if we simply were'nt good enough. But we are, and just keep falling short due to the same tiresome issues.
Our problem is being good enough on a consistent basis week in week out, but we are so fucking close it's unreal how people are thinking we are miles away...

There's about 4-5 posters that have come out of the woodwork since yesterday's result. I honestly wonder why they bother supporting the team.

Mad isn't it, equalled our record wins away from home after making no new signings, no home advantage, stadium delays leaving fans so disgruntled that we've been leaving Wembley 2/3rds empty and it's all radio silence. The moment something doesn't quite go to plan the 'I told you so' brigade rear their heads. I think I must have grown up in a different era to them mate, unbelievable how quickly some turn on the club and how it's been developing over the past few seasons

Spot on. Even that Dick Merson said on Saturday soccer, that what Spurs are doing this season is amazing and they don’t get the credit they deserve.
To play every game away from home with no signings and yet still be above Woolwich, Chelsea and Man Utd is phenomenal.
Yes we were poor yesterday, yes we had an off day but acting the way some have is nonesense.
Slagging the players and manager off is not going to get the 3 points back.. it’s all about getting behind the team and moving on to the next game.
Our target this season, and it was a tough ask, is to finish top 4.. We are on course for that and I applaud the manager and team for achieving that.

We were down and out in the CL and no one gave us a hope of reaching the knock out stages, we had to go to Barcelona and get a positive result, we did that and are now hopefully marching on to the QF, again, all this without our stadium and no signings.

What our manager and players have achieved this season is outstanding and a defeat to an average side won’t change my opinion about that.

Do you think it's good to watch?
I don't.
My comments are in response to this idiotic comment that gets trotted out every time we lose that we "bottled it"
Our team did not lose the game by being scared, or not going on the offensive.
We took off defensive players and went for it - which is the diametric opposite of bottling it.
I'd rather support a team that goes balls out to win and play football, than cowers on the edge of the box waiting to knife the opposition in the back.
To read the pathetic whining of posters looking for people to blame because they didn't play well enough to win is tedious.

If you think my comments are bad, wait until Prince Pompous the Poster trots out his weekly bullshit bulletin, where he blames everyone for everything and denigrates the efforts of everyone in a post that exceeds the word count of a thesaurus.

Well it was good to watch by their fans. If we played like that against a much bigger better and more talented team (say we in the next round of the UCL if we get through) then yes I'd be happy. Would you be happy for us to open up and play pretty football but get thrashed?

Burnley are not going to do that so it's up to us to have found a way around a team like Burnley. We always struggled against teams like that. Why not use llorente and play long ball. Not pretty but would you care if we had grabbed the points? Yes I could see poch was going all out to win but at that point in the game it wasnt desperate. Long before the subs it was obvious we were having a shit day at the back and most of our problems were our own making. Yes we definitely did not bottle it. The concept of that is just stupid. Nothing different about this game or the ones in the last few weeks. It was simply a bad day where we played shit and the other team had their game of the season. A 10day break was the worst thing that could happen I guess. We lost our momentum. 63 points with utd Scouse to play would have been perfect.

If we could have gone top by beating Chelsea then they would have found a way to beat us, or even worse ruin our undrawables season, :pochfacepalm:so poch played a blinder yesterday as he knows the Chelsea game is also 6 pointer in terms of the top 4 and now that the pressure is off we will win midweek and pretty much secure top 4 by beating the goons as well! He is magic you know! :pochlol:

To be fair there is something in that....hopefully we go and win a few on the spin now.
Losing one and winning three is far better than drawing two and winning two. Im happy to swap out a couple draws for one win, and we dont often lose a few games in a row.

Yeah, it's got to the point where it's a bit of a shock when we actually lose a game...some people don't seem very capable of handling it though...

That's a good and a bad thing.

Good as it's genuinely rare for us to lose, even when we play badly - bad because as you say some of our fans lose all perspective.

Such a bizarre post.
Not in the slightest. In fact, quite a poignant post.

You've grubbied about for your cake, now you want to eat it too.

For the last few weeks I've seen glimmers of hope in your posts. Positivity. Acknowledgement. Then... An inevitable poor result and you've pulled your shitty little head back into your fucking microcosmic, doom-mongering shell and stuck out your pleb trumpet to spout shit all about. Fucking twat you are, sometimes. (I do respect your right to voice whatever opinion you may have)

Back
Top Bottom