Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley (Turf Moor, 23rd Feb 2019, 12:30)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

...Sissoko was good overall today, but turned into a traffic cone pulling out of a challenge leading to their 2nd...

...Winks is so limited - no wonder Poch subbed him - only wanted to recycle possession and wouldn't shoot or try an incisive pass/run...
COYS
They were both crap today and thats why one of them was subbed off.

Sissoko was shit today because he was doing Eriksens job....let’s all play this game

Son was shit because Eriksen was shit....I like this game.....Aurier and Rose had to create for Eriksen as well as defend so they were shit.
Pathetic isn’t it.

Assists didn’t matter the other week when Ryan Fraser had as many. Shaqiri and Andersson have more goals.....do goals matter for a world class attacking midfielder?
Throw all the stats you want at me......couldn’t care less. He was garbage today but sadly couldn’t mask it with one shot that went in, or a key pass that someone else scored from today.

Because you know, that’s all an assist is really, a pass.
11 assists is another way of saying “in 27 games, Eriksen has made 11 key passes”....ooooohhhhhhhh

A couple weeks ago, “he did other things” when he was below Fraser. Now he’s the “top assister in the PL” because it’s becoming patently obvious, without those assists, you’d all be calling for his fucking head, because other than his stats, his contribution is appalling.

He’s become a myth of a player.
A hipsters heat map wet dream.....You think you see something on a higher level with Eriksen or something?
Even his biggest backers have fallen silent today. This is not just a one off..have I been imagining it for 6 months?

Too many people all thinking that not creating enough is somehow the 3M pound RBs fault, or the DMs fault and not the responsibility of the 200M pound attacking mid.
We lose games up top.....if you don’t see that, you clearly aren’t as fucking clues up as you like to think you are.

Sissoko is not a DM. Our midfielders are also supposed to create or at least facilitate creativity by passing out of midfield. Our FB's are definitely supposed to create, especially when they are WB';s and we don't play any lateral AM's.

Sissoko didn't even do his own job, let alone anyone else's.

You remind of a bloke on SC (Gibbs) who kept telling everyone Modric was shit.

You really talk some utter fucking nonsense sometimes.

...Sissoko was good overall today, but turned into a traffic cone pulling out of a challenge leading to their 2nd...

...Winks is so limited - no wonder Poch subbed him - only wanted to recycle possession and wouldn't shoot or try an incisive pass/run...
COYS

I think Winks sub turned the game in their favour because he was the one cleaning up for the 14 million times Sissoko lost the ball.
And I’m a certified “Sissoko lover”.

His energy was missed, and that last goal doesn’t happen with Winksy out there.

All the subs were detrimental today, and Poch has been getting a lot recently, just not today.
Kane starting was ok for me.....but chucking in wave after wave of attacking players was just naive.
We used wing play, but the wing play was poor......needed to go through the middle and make a braver decision in who he subbed off

Yeah, Poch just throwing on attacking player after attacking player was odd and seemed very unlike Poch to be honest. We needed to keep control of the game and we took the only one who could control off in Winks.

Sissoko has been on good form but today wasn't his game, his game is to get the ball and run with it, but with Burnley playing with numerous men behind the ball, it was never going to work for him, we needed intricacy and Sissoko is about as far from that as possible.

It's genuinely no surprise that as soon as Winks went off, Burnley opened up more and took the game to us because they know they had midfield from there on out.

Hopefully something Poch will learn from.

Sissoko is not a DM. Our midfielders are also supposed to create or at least facilitate creativity by passing out of midfield. Our FB's are definitely supposed to create, especially when they are WB';s and we don't play any lateral AM's.

Sissoko didn't even do his own job, let alone anyone else's.

You remind of a bloke on SC (Gibbs) who kept telling everyone Modric was shit.

You really talk some utter fucking nonsense sometimes.

Sissoko was toilet today....I was taking the piss out of your ridiculous argument that Eriksen has to do Sissokos job and that’s why he was poor (while claiming Eriksen wasn’t poor at the same time, make your mind up)

If Eriksen lost his discipline and neglected his role because he took it upon himself to play as a hybrid DM/CB then that’s on him.

But that did t happen did it. He was just completely ineffective for the vast majority of the game but unlike other weeks, he couldn’t mask it with a goal or assist.

You remind of a bloke on SC (Gibbs) who kept telling everyone Modric was shit..

288ma1u.png

I can understand why Poch played Sissoko and Winks due to it working against Dortmund. But by the same logic, we should have had Vertonghen at left back and started with Moura.

Kane off the bench would have been a great option, but it is a lot easier to see now.

Regardless, it is clear we lack a leader in defensive midfield.

I don't really blame Sissoko and Winks for not stepping up but at the same time it is a serious problem for the rest of the Premier League season.

Think it’s alright to be angry after that performance. There was a huge amount riding on that game and we knew what we were in for but instead we got bullied all over the pitch. We were lethargic in possession and looked toothless in the final third.

I get top teams lose these types of games and you can’t always play well but given what was riding on today, the manner of the defeat was just really disappointing.

Also i wish ppl would stop using this ‘do you remember the days of Christian Gross’ as an argument against fans being pissed off. This team and manager is so good, the best in my life and because of that, it raises expectations and quite rightly, because we’re such a good side and have some exceptionally gifted individuals it’s perfectly acceptable to be pissed off at losing to Burnley with a limp performance.

Hello lads, Burnley fan here. I see there's not much credit coming our way but understandable being a Spurs forum.
My wife's family who are Spurs were at Turf Moor and they thought we were worthy winners.
Believe me this was a massive win for us, not been home long after a pub crawl around Burnley to celebrate.
I thought everything went through Erikson in 1st half but managed to keep him quiet in the 2nd, Son was dissapointing, I expected better as he is a great player.
What a player Kane is, you would never know he's been out for weeks, his pace for the goal was fantastic, our players couldn't get near him.
The ref came in for some stick off your fans but come on, they're all crap, we all have our share of dodgy refs.
Anyway, mixed family here of Burnley & Spurs so here's hoping Spurs win all their remaining games and finish above the Scousers and Burnley stay up of course, desperate to go to the new stadium.

All on poch today. His decision making when it's season defining games is baffling, we have been utter garbage with 3 at the back, bar 45 minutes against Dortmund. Foyth away at Burnley when he's weak as piss physically, foyth marking one best headers in PL in woods. Baffling today again when it really mattered. Winks off aswell?. Poch has had the best tottenham squad in PL history. He's a great manager but doesn't manage the biggest games well enough to get us over the line when it matters. We need to see a real cut throat approach from poch to freshen this squad up. He's been far to loyal to some. Squad needs a freshness bringing to it. Davies, aurier, llorente, lamela, dier, vorm, skipp, wanyama, trippier all need to be upgraded for a serious title charge, then top class replacements for Toby and Eriksen.
Agree that we look shit playing 3 central defenders, and it baffles me why we use it against teams in the bottom half of the table! We certainly loose offensive power. Our best formation is 4-2-3-1

One thing that both annoys and baffles me is that almost every time we have some kind of extended break, we're invariably shit the very next game. Honestly, we're much better when we have game after game.

I'd love to know what goes on at that training ground. 10 days off yet based on today's gloriously well-worked and meticulously-planned short corners it seems not a lot.

If we win our next two then all is forgotten and forgiven - could easily have won today as expected and drawn with the Chavs ans Woolwich both of which would be respectable. Appreciate it hasn’t happened yet but point I’m trying to make is, in a weeks time everything could look a lot more rosy!

Yeah, Poch just throwing on attacking player after attacking player was odd and seemed very unlike Poch to be honest. We needed to keep control of the game and we took the only one who could control off in Winks.

Sissoko has been on good form but today wasn't his game, his game is to get the ball and run with it, but with Burnley playing with numerous men behind the ball, it was never going to work for him, we needed intricacy and Sissoko is about as far from that as possible.

It's genuinely no surprise that as soon as Winks went off, Burnley opened up more and took the game to us because they know they had midfield from there on out.

Hopefully something Poch will learn from.

I think we drastically lost our shape when we opted for the gung ho approach. The 2-3 minutes building up to their goal we were so sloppy at the back, hacking & slicing balls away instead of getting your foot on it and making the most of the attacking quality we had on the pitch. A couple of players started to flap, Sissoko, Aurier & Eriksen I remember swiping recklessly at a poor Burnley pass that was intercepted, those kind of things gave them a lot of reason to commit players forward and keep the pressure on us at the back and they got their reward. If that 2nd goal doesn't go in we'd have seen a different Tottenham in the last 7-8 minutes I'm sure.

Still as you say, you live and you learn. I admire Poch for being ballsy but I do think he panicked a little

Back
Top Bottom