Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley (Turf Moor, 23rd Feb 2019, 12:30)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

...Sissoko was good overall today, but turned into a traffic cone pulling out of a challenge leading to their 2nd...

...Winks is so limited - no wonder Poch subbed him - only wanted to recycle possession and wouldn't shoot or try an incisive pass/run...
COYS
Do you watch a lot of soccer?

To be fair there is something in that....hopefully we go and win a few on the spin now.
Losing one and winning three is far better than drawing two and winning two. Im happy to swap out a couple draws for one win, and we dont often lose a few games in a row.

I think the thing is we have a great squad now and a awesome manager, we know what this team is capable of so it’s frustrating when we lose and play below the level we are capable off, and everyone just says well we were shit before we should just be happy now to be near the top, I know we can’t expect to win every game but it does seem like every time we have the opportunity to stand up and make a statement we seem to lose, maybe it’s coincidental, or maybe there is more to it, but if that game was played Monday and pool and city have both won and the gap back to 8 points before we play I reckon we would have won, I just hope once we move into the new stadium we can get over the final hurdle

I think the thing is we have a great squad now and a awesome manager, we know what this team is capable of so it’s frustrating when we lose and play below the level we are capable off, and everyone just says well we were shit before we should just be happy now to be near the top, I know we can’t expect to win every game but it does seem like every time we have the opportunity to stand up and make a statement we seem to lose, maybe it’s coincidental, or maybe there is more to it, but if that game was played Monday and pool and city have both won and the gap back to 8 points before we play I reckon we would have won, I just hope once we move into the new stadium we can get over the final hurdle

Not sure how much longer this team has. It's not that young anymore and I'd say the odds of losing Toby and Eriksen are high. Feels like every season has a new obstacle in the way and next season I can envisage a "transition year" excuse with some new faces replacing old faces and the new stadium. There's no perfect storm for our club.

Bollocks. My real worry is that we have a couple of tough games coming up (on paper) and we may start looking over our shoulder.

I think we should have enough to get top 4 though, just a shame we always seem to slip up when there’s a chance to close the gap at the top. The team needs investment and that’s obvious to everyone. We move on.

But we are at a level where every game is important...and anytime we lose one we are bottle jobs...except when we win one when all of a sudden we have resilience and a never say die attitude, which magically disappears whenever we lose again...

Yeah, it's got to the point where it's a bit of a shock when we actually lose a game...some people don't seem very capable of handling it though...
There are some people who moan every single time we lose because they’re trolls; we’ve lost games and we’ll lose games, but yesterday was more than a defeat. It was our manager who said this game was like a final if we were to be a serious title contender and we fucked it up, the players were fucking shit, they were not on the same frequency that the manager was. Yeah we can all appreciate what they’ve managed to do so far in the league considering all the circumstances but that doesn’t excuse their awful performance yesterday and I hope the manager has let them know what he thought of it.

Completely dominated the game but didn’t move the ball quickly enough and didn’t show enough urgency

Kane should have been on the bench as it sent out the wrong message to the rest of the squad after doing so brilliantly.

Out best player for the last month or so Sonny was marginalised which was a real shame

Foyth is still a boy and got bullied by a man today

The last 30 mins we were terrible. Once Winks got subbed off we lost the plot. No football, zero control

This - every line golden.

What annoys me is how do they know they won’t do better by attempting to play good football?
Why don’t they ever consider what the fans want?
The fans turn up as they want to support the team but I can guarantee every one of them would love to watch fast flowing attacking football and be entertained.
It must just literally going through the motions rather than an enjoyable day out.

Look at wolves, they came up and are playing some lovely football and their fans absolutely love it. They put these boring anti-football clubs to shame.
Wolves had a net spend of 80m in the summer and have a much more talented squad. A few lesser teams have tried playing good attacking football but generally they don't last long. Blackpool managed to survive a few seasons but are now in league one. Fulham this season will go straight back down. Stoke tried to play more progressive after Pullis and also went down.

Burnley were actually surprisingly positive yesterday though. They played with two up front and pushed men forward which makes yesterday's result even more confusing.

Different sport here but the winning mentality mindset should never be underestimated...The NFL’s New England Patriots.
Going into the season that has just past no one gave them a chance, even when they made it to the playoffs the doubters still questioned them, Brady is past it, the Gronk is held together by duct tape, surly they can’t keep going is what the experts said.
As the media world drooled over a young flamboyant QB in Patrick Mahomes with the Chiefs (NFL MVP) the powerfull running game of the Rams with a young risk taking head coach in Sean McVeigh at the helm, and the thought of a fairy tail ending for Drew Brees at the Saints, who had arguably the best all round game of any team in the league, everyone overlooked that one thing the Patriots possessed, Mentality!!

I understand the owner likes a bit of drooling as well.

Considering how awful and boring our football has been this season , I think we should all be delighted we are in 3rd position . It’s a miracle really .
Shame we threw away domestic competitions again . We could have been in a cup final today . Instead we are all singing the blues because we lost to Burnley .
We did not throw the domestic competitions away but lost because of our injury crisis and not having a deep enough squad to cope. Bad timing.

One thing I have noticed when we lose is that we (the fanbase) have a tendency of completely ignoring the opposition and their part in it. It is always what we did wrong/failed to do. Not what they did right. Invalidating their performance.

Football is after all a competitive sport played between two teams. Dyche read us and countered us. Doesn't soften the blow but it is what it is.

Not just on here but on multiple platforms I see our fans do this after almost every loss.

Obviously a large factor in this is knee jerk reactions to the game.

Last edited:
One thing I have noticed when we lose is that we (the fanbase) have a tendency of completely ignoring the opposition and their part in it. It is always what we did wrong/failed to do. Not what they did right. Invalidating their performance.

Football is after all a competitive sport played between two teams. Dyche read us and countered us. Doesn't soften the blow but it is what it is.

Not just on here but on multiple platforms I see our fans do this after almost every loss.

This tweet and what you're saying is bang on. Got to respect and analyse what the other team did. It'll probably help with our own analysis of where we went wrong as well

This tweet and what you're saying is bang on. Got to respect and analyse what the other team did. It'll probably help with our own analysis of where we went wrong as well

If we were doing the normal stuff well I’d agree....I can handle playing well and losing.

Playing shit and losing games of this magnitude isn’t ok. Most people were very reasonable after the Utd defeat and saw that we battered them in reality.
Yesterday was very different and to be honest, Vardy scores that penalty the other week and its the same story..

Hardly great against v Cardiff either and most fans point that out, even when we win, so complaining about games like yesterday is completely justified

Had time to sober up and think exactly the same "FUCK OFF YOU UTTER CUNT"

How fucking entitled are you? It's like your parent's have just bought you a Bugatti Veyron and you're calling them bitches because it's not the Super Sport model ... what a horrible spoilt brat you must have been

I'm glad you hate the stadium, hope to fuck you never set foot in the place, that would be about as hypocritical as you can get ... which probably sums you up nicely

Best squad and best four years off results we've had in EPL history, and still you feel entitled to complain, sorry to tell you but you're not entitled to fuck all, don't like it don't watch, it's simple.

If you admire City and the Dippers so much you know what to do, for sure you won't be missed. If you sat anywhere near the SCS and started your Levy out shit you'd soon find out what true fans think.

When you've built us into one of the top ten clubs in the world you will have earned the right criticize, until they you just come off as some whinging entitled cunt ... slink back into your hole until our next defeat, it's wankers like you who must go not DL, and in your case the sooner the better.

Edit - maybe not as sober as I thought

Likely to be an unpopular opinion, but I couldn't help but wonder throughout the entire match... It almost felt as if Eriksen & Son had it planned to lose the match to screw over Poch... they (and everyone else) knew the past month's lineup without K and the formation with Son/FL up top was WORKING!! it was WINNING GAMES!! and instead of rewarding E, S, and FL for their contributions, as soon as Kane wanted back in, it seemed poch almost relegated the others back into supporting roles as an afterthought with the message that now that K's back, go back to helping him raise his goal count... So E&S became anonymous to show K alone can't win games... so stop treating him like the be all/end all...

Obviously the Burnley formation was sh*t and Poch really shouldn't do that to players who were winning games "collectively" as he admits during the press conference...

And it's obvious the decision was P's and his alone... K was available to be back in the Dortmund match, but Poch made him wait to Burnley... but if as Poch says, this was such an important match to win, why change what was clearly working in the team's favor?? it all seems so contradictory...

If Poch, really did in fact, feel K was ready - shouldn't K have played in the very important UCL v. Dortmund? Or was K not confident enough he could help the team and didn't want the responsibility of losing the match, so the decision was like "ok, let's have K return in match w/ Burnely which would be an easy win anyway?"... so was the issue underestimating Burnley (contrary to what they said publicly) just so K could get a hero's welcome after getting 3 points?

clearly, whatever plan they had and thought would work went to sh&t and cost us a must have 3 points... players work their asses off to win against tough teams like dortmund, chelsea, liverpool, etc (which they do!!!) so the fact that they lose against pub teams like Burnley that's supposed to have been a gimme just boggles my mind...

Back
Top Bottom