Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley (Turf Moor, 23rd Feb 2019, 12:30)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't really blame Poch too much for today, I think the Winks/Llorente sub was awful but the team he picked was OK. Good enough to win if we had played with the right intensity but we didn't. From the first minute we were soft and instead of standing up to their press and trying to play though, we let them keep us in our half passing sideways. That is not how a title contender should start a game of football.

Nobody can tell me that when the ref blew the whistle, we were ready for battle. We haven't looked ready to compete from the first minute in any of the recent matches, it takes us way too long to get going. Eventually someone was going to get that second goal against us that stops us nicking it at the end and that happened today. Eventually you have to stop winning through being jammy and do it by being superior to the opponent.

All on poch today. His decision making when it's season defining games is baffling, we have been utter garbage with 3 at the back, bar 45 minutes against Dortmund. Foyth away at Burnley when he's weak as piss physically, foyth marking one best headers in PL in woods. Baffling today again when it really mattered. Winks off aswell?. Poch has had the best tottenham squad in PL history. He's a great manager but doesn't manage the biggest games well enough to get us over the line when it matters. We need to see a real cut throat approach from poch to freshen this squad up. He's been far to loyal to some. Squad needs a freshness bringing to it. Davies, aurier, llorente, lamela, dier, vorm, skipp, wanyama, trippier all need to be upgraded for a serious title charge, then top class replacements for Toby and Eriksen.

Last edited:
I think this has finally shown us that Levy needs to shit or get off the pot! We simply don't have a strong enough squad to go all the way. Sissoko, Trippier, Sanchez to name but a few. Look at M.C's bench. Or Liverpool. We simply don't have the strength in depth and Poch is hamstrung. Wasting millions on a stadium where we'll probably lose.
Levy MUST GO if we're ever to have a chance of glory and silverware.
Sissoko has been having an awesome season so far, he had a poor game today but so did son and Eriksen and half the team!

I think this has finally shown us that Levy needs to shit or get off the pot! We simply don't have a strong enough squad to go all the way. Sissoko, Trippier, Sanchez to name but a few. Look at M.C's bench. Or Liverpool. We simply don't have the strength in depth and Poch is hamstrung. Wasting millions on a stadium where we'll probably lose.
Levy MUST GO if we're ever to have a chance of glory and silverware.
So the lot of you Levy out brigade like to talk shit just to fill the quota? Today the whole team was at fault, they were awful and they deserved to lose, does that have to do anything with Levy? Maybe the injuries we’ve picked this season are also down to Levy right?

What the hell?
You do know what decides football matches, right? It has nothing to do with posession.

We did not create a single clear-cut chance today. Kane (brilliantly) scored a half chance and his long range one was another half chance. Yet Burnley created smth like 3 (one that flew over the bar). There was not enough agression and direct approach to our play throughout this 90 minutes. As someone said, they wanted it more, they fought for it more and they deserved to win the game.

We could not withstand the pressure and bottled it. No other way to describe this situation unfortunately. As much as it hurts that is what happened. It is not the end of the world we are still having a wonderful season and let's see how far can we go in CL, but with two teams 5 points ahead of us, this is the real end of our fight to be crowned champions. Well it was unlikely anyways, wasn't it?
bottling it or losing your bottle means you lacked the courage or intent to go on the offensive, not that we missed a header at a corner, or they scored from a scuffed attempt on goal.
If you think their way of playing football is worthy - or worthwhile then go support them.
personally I hate that style of game play.
We didn't bottle anything. We ballsed things up - but thats a different thing altogether.

All on poch today. His decision making when it's season defining games is baffling, we have been utter garbage with 3 at the back, bar 45 minutes against Dortmund. Foyth away at Burnley when he's weak as piss physically, foyth marking one best headers in PL in woods. Baffling today again when it really mattered. Winks off aswell?. Poch has had the best tottenham squad in PL history. He's a great manager but doesn't manage the biggest games well enough to get us over the line when it matters. We need to see a real cut throat approach from poch to freshen this squad up. He's been far to loyal to some. Squad needs a freshness bringing to it. Davies, aurier, llorente, lamela, dier, vorm, skipp, wanyama, trippier all need to be upgraded for a serious title charge, then top class replacements for Toby and Eriksen.

We are not going to change 11 players in one window and we certainly don't need to change 11 players to have a title charge. If the players on the pitch today had played properly we would have been having a title charge right now.

What needs to change is the weak mentality of our team that too often rears it's head in big games. First half against Chelsea in the semi? Shite. First half against Dortmund? Shite. First half against United at Wembley? Shite. First half today? Shite. Top teams come flying out of the traps and start making the opponent sweat. We have to start doing that. You can't always score in the 80+ minute after doing naff all for the rest of the game. Every minute has to count, the players have to stop getting so nervous whenever the going gets tough. They need to relax and enjoy the challenge.

We should be starting every single game the way we started against Chelsea at Wembley in the PL. There is no excuse not to.

Even today, on one the collectively shittest days, Eriksen (48/54) still got on the ball twice as much as fucking Sissoko did, who completed 25 fucking passes in 94 minutes. Even just as a midfielder he’s doing a better job than Sissoko, who was fucking abysmal.

It’s idiotic expecting him to do Sissoko’s midfield job, also be the most consistent creator of chances and score goals every game.

Pointing the finger at Eriksen is idiotic.

There isn’t a single midfielder in this league with more assists, David Silva the only other midfielder the averages more chances created and that’s by 0.1 pg. Only 2 midfielders in this league have scored more goals (1 more).

All this while doing what Dier can do as well?

I think we’ll find it much easier to upgrade what that clown Sissoko does personally.

Sissoko was shit today because he was doing Eriksens job....let’s all play this game

Son was shit because Eriksen was shit....I like this game.....Aurier and Rose had to create for Eriksen as well as defend so they were shit.
Pathetic isn’t it.

Assists didn’t matter the other week when Ryan Fraser had as many. Shaqiri and Andersson have more goals.....do goals matter for a world class attacking midfielder?
Throw all the stats you want at me......couldn’t care less. He was garbage today but sadly couldn’t mask it with one shot that went in, or a key pass that someone else scored from today.

Because you know, that’s all an assist is really, a pass.
11 assists is another way of saying “in 27 games, Eriksen has made 11 key passes”....ooooohhhhhhhh

A couple weeks ago, “he did other things” when he was below Fraser. Now he’s the “top assister in the PL” because it’s becoming patently obvious, without those assists, you’d all be calling for his fucking head, because other than his stats, his contribution is appalling.

He’s become a myth of a player.
A hipsters heat map wet dream.....You think you see something on a higher level with Eriksen or something?
Even his biggest backers have fallen silent today. This is not just a one off..have I been imagining it for 6 months?

Too many people all thinking that not creating enough is somehow the 3M pound RBs fault, or the DMs fault and not the responsibility of the 200M pound attacking mid.
We lose games up top.....if you don’t see that, you clearly aren’t as fucking clues up as you like to think you are.

That is always a risk.
In the end it all boils down to individual players not being good enough, or us fans thinking they are actually better than they are. I don’t care about a player misplacing a pass or a striker missing a sitter that will happen to any player at any level.
But I see too many players in our team not being able to change their game to suit the task at hand with the one and only exception, Kane.
Eriksen to Barcelona? Do me a favor, he played that 94mins today in the same gear, never once tried to change his game to help himself or others find that yard of space, he just played the same Eriksen way expecting it to happen.
Son, who has been on fire obviously found Kane’s return confussing, but he didn’t try anything to adapt to it, just kept to his role and expected things to happen....
Top class players change their game themselves and don’t have to be led by the hand of the manager.
When it works we look great, individual players look worldie, but when it’s difficult those same players look confused as fuck after the game as to why it’s not gone their way....
Every player should be made to sit through entire games of watching Messi, and understand he is just not some freak of natural talent, but how he adapts his game to give himself the edge at some point in the game.
You have some interesting angles that I like to revisit for the good of the team later when I have more time

It's possible the 10-day break killed our momentum before today. They knew well what to expect up there, and yet no-one gave the impression they were ready to compete, and whilst shit officiating certainly compounded matters, the players have to hold their hands up for that dross they served up.

We may be out of the title race. But for a team that's had zero investment for a season and a half we've given it a pretty good go.
Let's just hope the boys can hold it together long enough to secure another top 4 finish. That in itself would be a huge achievment in the face of such a scandalous dereliction of duty from the owners.
COYS.
just give it a rest, we know what you think, you must have posted it 500+ times

Spot on regarding mentality, poch has been too loyal to too many players. Most have had 4-5 years. Needs freshening up. Far too comfortable an environment that doesn't promote a winning mentality. We are part of Europe's elite now and club has to be more ruthless. Poch has been brilliant for the club but the recent history books show our last trophies were won by Graham and juande ramos which is a crying shame for this squad of players and manager.

Back
Top Bottom