Sheff Utd vs Yid Army FA Cup Wed 1 March 2023

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Every team rests players in the cups.
That is true and we still had plenty of so called top players plus regular starters to win that game. The attitude of richarlisin stunk the place out in now way did he show he deserves to be starting. The lack of effort was shocking and his attempts even worse. Get rid and buy a proper footballer. If he turns it around great but don’t see the raw materials.

it 100% was quality issue.
Our attacking 3 was, is and will be shit in taking and keeping ball under control and put together meaningful passing patterns. It was, is and will be a pinball machine if we play Son- Richie and Moura as our attackers. They are just not able to control the ball under any real pressure.

But something like this we could even live with against likes of Sheffield.

Yesterday it was unfortunately coupled with absolute lack of delivery from fullback areas. Not a single accurate cross, not a single direct run that resulted in a pullback. Nothing. They were useless.

And once those factors were in place, there was no stupid mistake / error by opposition either. So it ended us being toothless.
Nope, was lack of guts and effort. Clear for everyone to see. The msg from the top down is this comp means nada, and the players showed it. Personally I would prefer to be honest and just play the youth team from the outset. Anything else is a farce.

Let's look at who those second string were.
Forster.....past it and possibly too slow.
Porro, not up to speed with the team or English football.
Sanchez.....lacking confidence due to limited minutes.
Perisic......grandad.
Sarr......child
Moura.....one foot out the door.
Richarlison......at sea.

Just because they are PL players doesn't mean they are automatically superior or more motivated. I haven't checked out the ages of the Sheffield players but I suspect they are younger and more lively?
Their second string too ye know

That team had the quality to win the game last night, no one is gonna convince me our starting eleven weren't good enough to beat a, in part, Sheffield United B team.

And the first half and the first ten minutes of the second half followed the recent script v West Ham and Chelsea - battle hard, compete, keep it tight, don't concede and the result will come second half with our superior intensity and fire power.

I wasn't worried at all first half even despite the individual error towards the end of it - we were better, competitive, classier, on top and just a final pass away from a goal.

The second half started the same, never a doubt as we continued to be superior in every aspect.

And then gradually, slowly, it started to change. If I could bring myself to watch it again I'd try and pin point exactly when it began. But we started losing the 50/50s, we stopped being aggressive, stopped winning headers, the defence dropped deeper, we let players cross the ball and stood off, turned our back on shots - we absolutely fucking gave up putting the effort in, gave up matching them physically, - for some inexplicable reason we cashed out with 30 minutes to go.

The longer it went on the worse we became, a lot of half hearted bollocks in both directions, a collective downing of tools and we got what we totally deserved - humiliated by a set of players who wouldn't get anywhere near our training ground, never mind our squad. The goal was pathetic, a defensive shit show, clown show, but indicative of our wider lack of courage, desire and character.

I lay absolutely everything at the players door. I dunno who the fuck they think they are, but when they have a drawer full of medals them maybe they can excuse themselves an off day. They have nothing.

If they had anything about then they'd pay for the away fans trip - they won't, it'd be am admission of failure and they, nor the club will allow that. That's how far the arrogance goes, it's not our fault, we do our best, it was a bad day blah blah blah.

Sick of hearing about 'team meetings' and all the other bullshit, just come out and admit what we all know - you thought you were good enough to win without doing the basics, you were arrogant, weak and pathetic. Until they acknowledge their conceited and arrogant approach, nothing will change.

I'd be embarrassed to show my face at Wolves on Saturday, this lot will probably up it against a Prem team, we'll probably get top 4 too. But Wednesday took us right back to the dreadful days, the days when we got turned over regularly, when top 4 was miles off, when managers said " Lads - it's Tottenham ".

That is obviously because the club values different things compared to fans. Leaving the domestic cups as a low priority is not something Conte and the new players have decided. This has been a constant with other managers as well.

Top 4/CL and the money that comes with it is more important for the club's owners. This means the managers HAVE to prioritise the league and CL ahead of the domestic cups, because that is what the man paying them wants. For the CL match vs Milan, we will go with our strongest possible side.
Wow, that’s a lot to unpack.

Let’s start the the valuation of the FA Cup.
Merely qualifying for the group stages of the Europa League pays the same amount or more than winning the FA Cup. There’s another half a million for every group stage win.
The FA Cup has been devalued for more than twenty years. It has never recovered from United opting out from defending the title in 2000. With semi-finals and play-offs being played at Wembley, the latter after the FA Cup final itself , it isn’t the unique experience it once was. This is on the FA.

Tottenham have been known as a club whose wage structure is geared towards results-oriented bonuses. The chances are — unless things have changed with recent contracts — that Tottenham players and staff have more to gain from winning the cup than most clubs. Yes, I daresay bonuses are higher for CL qualification reflecting the financial ( and other) impact on the club. I would think we’re no different from other clubs in this respect.

There’s nothing to suggest that Tottenham take cups any less seriously than other sides. Look at this weeks fixtures:
Man United started six or seven reserves against a Premier League opposition. West Ham, Southampton, Leeds as well as City all rotated their squad. Key players like Jarrod Bowen, James Ward-Prowse and Patrick Bamford all started this week’s ties on the bench.

That team had the quality to win the game last night, no one is gonna convince me our starting eleven weren't good enough to beat a, in part, Sheffield United B team.

And the first half and the first ten minutes of the second half followed the recent script v West Ham and Chelsea - battle hard, compete, keep it tight, don't concede and the result will come second half with our superior intensity and fire power.

I wasn't worried at all first half even despite the individual error towards the end of it - we were better, competitive, classier, on top and just a final pass away from a goal.

The second half started the same, never a doubt as we continued to be superior in every aspect.

And then gradually, slowly, it started to change. If I could bring myself to watch it again I'd try and pin point exactly when it began. But we started losing the 50/50s, we stopped being aggressive, stopped winning headers, the defence dropped deeper, we let players cross the ball and stood off, turned our back on shots - we absolutely fucking gave up putting the effort in, gave up matching them physically, - for some inexplicable reason we cashed out with 30 minutes to go.

The longer it went on the worse we became, a lot of half hearted bollocks in both directions, a collective downing of tools and we got what we totally deserved - humiliated by a set of players who wouldn't get anywhere near our training ground, never mind our squad. The goal was pathetic, a defensive shit show, clown show, but indicative of our wider lack of courage, desire and character.

I lay absolutely everything at the players door. I dunno who the fuck they think they are, but when they have a drawer full of medals them maybe they can excuse themselves an off day. They have nothing.

If they had anything about then they'd pay for the away fans trip - they won't, it'd be am admission of failure and they, nor the club will allow that. That's how far the arrogance goes, it's not our fault, we do our best, it was a bad day blah blah blah.

Sick of hearing about 'team meetings' and all the other bullshit, just come out and admit what we all know - you thought you were good enough to win without doing the basics, you were arrogant, weak and pathetic. Until they acknowledge their conceited and arrogant approach, nothing will change.

I'd be embarrassed to show my face at Wolves on Saturday, this lot will probably up it against a Prem team, we'll probably get top 4 too. But Wednesday took us right back to the dreadful days, the days when we got turned over regularly, when top 4 was miles off, when managers said " Lads - it's Tottenham ".

Bravo

James Van Der Beek Applause GIF

TBF one of the pundit’s , I can’t remember which one said the tactics were a joke . They played one striker 37 year old Billy Sharpe up front , yet we still went with 3 centre halves . The tactical intransigence is making me think Conte is overpaid by about 14, 999,999 pounds a year

Clapping Applause GIF

TBF one of the pundit’s , I can’t remember which one said the tactics were a joke . They played one striker 37 year old Billy Sharpe up front , yet we still went with 3 centre halves . The tactical intransigence is making me think Conte is overpaid by about 14, 999,999 pounds a year
Absolute joke even when losing still stuck to 3 at the fucking back.

So we keep getting players since the last 2 decades that 'go out there and embarass themselves' . And this happens every year, no matter who the players or the manager are, but its not the owners who want the manager to prioritise top 4. Okay, got it.

Yes mate. You're right. The owners are forcing the manager and players. Got you.

This is exactly why I said that Kane has to start, and that benching him sends the wrong message to the team. It's very easy to say that the squad thought it was an "easy game", well why wouldn't they? You acted like it was an easy game! You would never bench Kane for a hard game would you? This is why I wanted him rested vs Wolves. You could see this coming a mile away.

It’s not that. This club suffers trophyphobia. Any chance of winning a trophy and they come out in a collective rash. Worse than the rash is it’s a mentality killer. All the evidence is there

Daniel Levy calls the shots. He oversees the hiring of the staff that have ABYSMALLY failed time and time again to sign the right players. It's early days but £60m on Richarlison is already looking like another balls up. There are plenty of other examples I can give in that department. Our academy produces no players. Why? Who is overseeing this? Who hires the people to oversee this? Who hires the people to set out the correct structures? Daniel Levy. He interviewed ETH and said no to him because he had no charisma or some other nonsense. He then hired Nuno. His judgement in this department is clearly suspect and that is being extremely kind. Found lighting in a bottle with Poch and messed it up. The shiny stadium and training centre are smokescreens. An illusion of success. Yesterday's result lands at his feet. End of f*cking story.
Wasn't it Paratici who hided Nuno?

Back
Top Bottom