January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Brings me back to an earlier point....

Most fans would prefer to think their money contributes towards a competitive advantage rather than some already-rich-cunt's pension fund (as well as the concept of a supporter being something more than a mere flag-waver).............. You can track this all the way back to the OG notion of these being football CLUBS and the so-called owners merely being custodians.
Some people believe in Santa Claus, too.

Shrugs GIF

In all fairness; it doesn't sound like you can relate to old school or grassroots footy culture if that's your attitude.......

My local non-league club..... Every pint you drink in the club-house matters.
My point is that the PL is not grassroots and the myth that it operates at a scale anywhere near that is actively damaging the sport and making it less competitive. As is the fantasy romanticism of the pyramid.

So long as the system is kept open to unregulated capitalism, the trophies will continue to be held by ever fewer hands. We focus on doping, but it's not like the sport was healthy before doping when it was United's sponsorship revenue basically hovering up everything.

Money has broken the competitive balance of football in every nation in Europe. FFP by its nature only encodes the financial advantages of the richest clubs - its not the solution to the problem.

Which players will join the club trained list next season?
Posted this in another thread but not sure many saw it so will post it again here, basically the UEFA squad status of the players next season:

Thought I would do this quickly to give an idea of what we might need or how many spaces there could be. Hopefully not missed anyone. This is players with contracts that go beyond this summer so including players that we know will likely not be here next season. Hopefully useful...

2024/25 UEFA

List A:
Max squad size: 25
Max non-club trained players: 21
Max overseas players: 17

List B: (Players born after Jan 2003 that have been at club for 2 years or 3 years with a 1 year loan): Unlimited number

List A: Possible club trained (~4)
Skipp
Whiteman
Tanganga
Parrott
Robson

Notes: Austin and Lyons-Foster contracts expiring. Possible buyback clause on Cirkin expiring early in summer. Could see likes of Tanganga and Parrott being sold.

List A: Non-club trained, non-overseas (~4)
Forster
Davies
Sessegnon
Maddison
Johnson
Rodon
Spence
Phillips
Soonsup-Bell

Notes: Likely a few of these sold or loaned again. Phillips and Soonsup-Bell not been here long enough to be on list B but could be loaned out next season

List A: Overseas (max 17)
Son
Hojbjerg
Lo Celso
Bentancur
Bissouma
Emerson Royal
Gil
Romero
Richarlison
Vicario
Solomon
Kulusevski
Porro
van de Ven
Veliz
Udogie
Dragusin
Sarr
Ndombele
Reguilon
Keeley

Notes: Likely a few of these sold or loaned again. Keeley and Veliz not been at club long enough for list B and bought from overseas clubs

List B: (unlimited)
Devine
Scarlett
Donley
Dorrington
Santiago
Craig
Gunter
Moore
Hall
Olusesi
Black
etc.

Last edited:
My point is that the PL is not grassroots and the myth that it operates at a scale anywhere near that is actively damaging the sport and making it less competitive. As is the fantasy romanticism of the pyramid.

So long as the system is kept open to unregulated capitalism, the trophies will continue to be held by ever fewer hands. We focus on doping, but it's not like the sport was healthy before doping when it was United's sponsorship revenue basically hovering up everything.

Which is moot cos it's all part of the same eco-system here.

(There certainly wasn't a claim being made that it is at the same scale either.)

So long as you've got non-league clubs fighting their way out of obscurity and into the football league or a club like Bournemouth gaining multiple back to back promotion to eventually mix it up in the prem then the romance of the pyramid isn't a "fantasy" either.

Money has broken the competitive balance of football in every nation in Europe.

Money has broken a lot of 'beautiful' things in this world/society (I'm sure we could both make a list), but certain things (like this capitalist society itself) are simply too far gone.

FFP by its nature only encodes the financial advantages of the richest clubs - its not the solution to the problem.

It's not THE solution, but there's not a better one on the table, bearing in mind the one you propose would mean trashing the entire fabric and roots of the game in this country (and presumably others).

Last edited:
Yep. As much as I can’t stand the man I think there really is a case that sherwood did more for our youth players at the time than Poch.

Bentaleb - brought through by Sherwood, played a season with Poch but then fell out with him.

Onomah - chased by city and Liverpool but Poch refused to give him a chance

Edwards - see above. No chance given.

KWP - the strangest of them all. Constantly give good performances in the sparse appearances he made only then to be dropped for the next game.

Winks - fair enough, he gave him chances.

Skipp - gave him his debut but then the player never appeared again.

Sure some of them haven’t gone on to set the world alight but if their development wasn’t handled correctly then it’s going to effect the rest of their careers. Poch blew a lot of careers.
I agree with KWP but there is a bit of revisionism going on here.

Poch didn't refuse to give Onomah a chance, in fact he gave him 518 minutes when he was just 18. He also went on 2 loans aged 20 and 21 but didn't impress and eventually lost his place in the team on both loans. Poch can't be blamed for how his career went

Bentaleb didn't fall out with Poch, he forced a move after an in jury hit season meant he lost his place to Dembele. He has since admitted he made a mistake and should never have left.

Posted this in another thread but not sure many saw it so will post it again here, basically the UEFA squad status of the players next season:

Thought I would do this quickly to give an idea of what we might need or how many spaces there could be. Hopefully not missed anyone. This is players with contracts that go beyond this summer so including players that we know will likely not be here next season. Hopefully useful...

2024/25 UEFA

List A:
Max squad size: 25
Max non-club trained players: 21
Max overseas players: 17

List B: (Players born after Jan 2003 that have been at club for 2 years or 3 years with a 1 year loan): Unlimited number

List A: Possible club trained (~4)
Skipp
Whiteman
Tanganga
Parrott
Robson

Notes: Austin and Lyons-Foster contracts expiring. Possible buyback clause on Cirkin expiring early in summer. Could see likes of Tanganga and Parrott being sold.

List A: Non-club trained, non-overseas (~4)
Forster
Davies
Sessegnon
Maddison
Johnson
Rodon
Spence
Phillips
Soonsup-Bell

Notes: Likely a few of these sold or loaned again. Phillips and Soonsup-Bell not been here long enough to be on list B but could be loaned out next season

List A: Overseas (max 17)
Son
Hojbjerg
Davies
Lo Celso
Bentancur
Bissouma
Emerson Royal
Gil
Romero
Richarlison
Vicario
Solomon
Kulusevski
Porro
van de Ven
Veliz
Udogie
Dragusin
Sarr
Ndombele
Reguilon
Keeley

Notes: Likely a few of these sold or loaned again. Keeley and Veliz not been at club long enough for list B and bought from overseas clubs

List B: (unlimited)
Devine
Scarlett
Donley
Dorrington
Santiago
Craig
Gunter
Moore
Hall
Olusesi
Black
etc.
Davies is HG (like Rodon).

Its possible Sarr will count as HG Club Trained, as we registered him for the PL whilst he was on loan (like Woolwich did with Saliba), so he will he HG for the PL, but I haven't seen it confirmed if the loophole works with UEFA comps too or not.

Davies is HG (like Rodon).

Its possible Sarr will count as HG Club Trained, as we registered him for the PL whilst he was on loan (like Woolwich did with Saliba), so he will he HG for the PL, but I haven't seen it confirmed if the loophole works with UEFA comps too or not.
Oops, didn't realise I put Davies on both. Cheers! Sarr won't be club trained for UEFA because we signed him after the start of the season for the first year.

The question is whether any of them would come back, and whether they would fit into Ange system.

We have dome great recruitment guys so I'm sure they will have looked at all the players you name, and indeed others such as 28 year old Milos Veljkovic who has a had a decent career at Werder Bremen, who gave Mr Kane a tough battle when they played Bayern. IMO still a very good CB/DM and Club Trained but probably wouldn't fit Ange style as he's always used his reading of the game well rather than being speedy.
Kane scored and got an assist in a 4-0 win, so can't have been that tough.

Imagine having spent hours of your time cunting off Emerson Royal - probably because you're the type of cunt who booed him - only to find the Club rejecting 30 million Saudi bids and Ange raving about him.

I'd simply never post on a forum again.

:ange-facepalm:

He’s the opposite of Porro. Can’t carry the ball or pass it forward. He’s an old fashioned, tuck in full back who doesn’t really cross the halfway line. He can defend well but can’t play football. Maybe that’s what we want, an alternative as opposed to an up and coming like for like (style player).

Can’t ignore his positivity either and he’s clearly relatively happy to just play a squad role (I think)

Huh? He's very solid at both of these attributes. And shown it many times. He's not as good as Porro but not many are in that role. But then Porro is half the defender Royal is.

I think they complement each other very well and that's what works about having him as 2nd choice. The real question is how long he's prepared to remain 2nd choice once we're fully fit. Other European clubs will definitely come in for him in the summer.

My argument isn't that it's perfect and we know what the cause has been....

No-one in the game's gonna vote for a wage cap, equal spend etc. here. It's simply not a model that can fit the pyramid.
I agree. You just don't want to be able to pencil in the top six every year before a game is played. If it's 4 of the usual suspects and 2 climbers that's healthy. I don't think there have to be 20 teams on an equal footing, but over a three year period you should get maybe 7 different teams in the top 4. The history and excitement around the big teams (and I include Spurs in that) is good for the sport. That said, I don't think the quality of the league has been all that great this season.

But they (PL) are going after City (UEFA with its time barred nonsense failed). But the case against City as way more complicated than a simple breach of an obvious and simple rule.

City are accused of falsifying accounts, hiding and diverting payments to misrepresent the structure, inflating sponsorship etc. This is big legal stuff not simply a clear FFP breach and City are going to go hard legally on the PL, it's going to cost tens of millions etc.
The IRS took down Al Capone. Just saying...

I agree with KWP but there is a bit of revisionism going on here.

Poch didn't refuse to give Onomah a chance, in fact he gave him 518 minutes when he was just 18. He also went on 2 loans aged 20 and 21 but didn't impress and eventually lost his place in the team on both loans. Poch can't be blamed for how his career went

Bentaleb didn't fall out with Poch, he forced a move after an in jury hit season meant he lost his place to Dembele. He has since admitted he made a mistake and should never have left.

I remember thinking Bentaleb would be our captain.
:nunothumb:

Back
Top Bottom