January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

View: https://x.com/Plettigoal/status/1749036262218932230?s=20

It wouldn't surprise me if either Hojbjerg or Lo Celso leave at end of January, with the other leaving in the summer with the other alternative being both leave in the summer - but Hojbjerg clearly prefers more playing time than he will get at Spurs.

Obviously we just need to be happy to cover CM position until Sarr and Bissouma come back from AFCON which could be mid February (so we might be short for 2 games after end of window).

But after that for the rest of the season we have Maddison, Bentancur, Bissouma Skipp and Sarr plus Kulusevski able to switch between RW and CM (so 4 players for sure whilst AFCON is in progress, 6 after it) plus Hojbjerg and Lo Celso.

I'm in 2 minds whether its absolutely necessary to buy another CM if only one of them leaves as with mainly one game a week until end of the season, its only if we get more injuries or suspensions that we are going to run out of CM players, and if we don't get many injuries/suspensions several players won't play much. And buying in summer gives us a much wider choice of player. So its very much Ange choice which way we go on this.

OK, some don't like this style of player but it amuses me when his worst critics call him negative.

View: https://x.com/DataMB_/status/1748479193677971743?s=20

If they offer us £30m + we would be silly not to except. Seems like a good guy and a solid RB but I’m not convinced by him as an inverted fullback to be honest

What's £30m gonna do for us with 9 days to go to replace him?

Pointless selling him now, just wait until the Summer when there's more time and more options.

View: https://x.com/Plettigoal/status/1749036262218932230?s=20

It wouldn't surprise me if either Hojbjerg or Lo Celso leave at end of January, with the other leaving in the summer with the other alternative being both leave in the summer - but Hojbjerg clearly prefers more playing time than he will get at Spurs.

Obviously we just need to be happy to cover CM position until Sarr and Bissouma come back from AFCON which could be mid February (so we might be short for 2 games after end of window).

But after that for the rest of the season we have Maddison, Bentancur, Bissouma Skipp and Sarr plus Kulusevski able to switch between RW and CM (so 4 players for sure whilst AFCON is in progress, 6 after it) plus Hojbjerg and Lo Celso.

I'm in 2 minds whether its absolutely necessary to buy another CM if only one of them leaves as with mainly one game a week until end of the season, its only if we get more injuries or suspensions that we are going to run out of CM players, and if we don't get many injuries/suspensions several players won't play much. And buying in summer gives us a much wider choice of player. So its very much Ange choice which way we go on this.

Yeah cool. No serious offers for him yet tho sooo….

OK, some don't like this style of player but it amuses me when his worst critics call him negative.

Progressive passes don't mean risky passes,

The problem with Hojbjerg is that he plays the obvious pass and doesn't play quick enough, we had the same thing with Rice the other day, he play forward a lot but his passes are often safe.

This is a perfect example, if he plays this ball first time we score, instead he takes a touch.

View: https://twitter.com/UdogiesDestiny/status/1730535975288496329

I think Hojbjerg is a decent player - although I think having played for Mourhino and Conte he's tended to become a more defensive midfielder, although for Denmark he tends to play slightly higher up the pitch and is more involved in attacking play and gets the odd goal/assist too.

Its probably easier for him to go to a new club, wiping the slate clean and starting afresh and probably taking his Denmark style to the new club, rather than staying at Spurs where the competition for places means he's competing with the likes of Bentancur for a start which is a tough ask by itself.

He's been good for Spurs, some don't remember that when he first arrived he was our best CM by some distance and was a mainstay of our side for probably his first 2 years at Spurs (I think he started 50+ continuous matches when he first arrived) , so if/when he leaves he should move on with our thanks.

They would need to at least double their offer for Ange to sell.

One thing I've no doubt about is that Ange has targets able to take his spot in the squad and he will for every player as that's how he operates.

What's £30m gonna do for us with 9 days to go to replace him?

Pointless selling him now, just wait until the Summer when there's more time and more options.
No need to sell him in the summer either, of course he's not better than Porro but he's improved as a right back. There are other positions that need dealing with.

No need to sell him in the summer either, of course he's not better than Porro but he's improved as a right back. There are other positions that need dealing with.

Depends on the squad composition.

At some point we'll need to upgrade that position, Summer is probably the best time.

It was offside...
Oh yes.

You’re right about playing first time there. Very good flowing move though -maybe not the best example to criticise him when he’s shown good movement and does play one of the passes first time. You could argue that Son should start his run a little deeper or curve it to stay onside.

It’s a good point but I think looking at that detail is just because he’s Hojbjerg and he’s got this inflated reputation. You can spin that video differently to be much more favourable to him.

I can't even think of a right back we could bring in thats as versatile as Emerson as well as somewhat seemingly content with being back up.

Certainly in January. Do the scouting work now (I assume we already are) and look to replace in the summer. But I think Ange is more than happy with him.

Back
Top Bottom