January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The quality of our home grown players could be drastically improved upon. Maddison is one of those in that list as in, he's homegrown.

Having 3 keepers, while that goes along way to circumnavigate the European homegrown rules, it's not very much in the way of firepower to draw from the bench

hence me saying; we could do with replacing one or two of those
We're not going to improve on Madison. It's just dumb he's even in the conversation ffs.

I remember him will and that many Spurs fans were up in arms over why Spurs let him got, etc., etc.

This is one of probably dozens, if not hundreds of examples of why fans demanding a teenager play Premier league football because of a few good performances in a children's league is dumb.
For every Kane there's a hundred of these.

I remember thinking Bentaleb would be our captain.
:nunothumb:
I did that with Skipp before his injury

Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends

Marcus Edwards would be, no?
Think he’s the only one, razor quick brain, gap in team he could fit (8-10 and occasionally wide forward).

Jack Clarke just had to potential spot closed completely by Werner short term and NUSA longer term (assuming with hope that happens).

KWP and Cirkin are both not quite the level we now aspire, KWP may be a very good cover for RB and LB but it wouldn’t be fair in his career to sign him as backup, when he left due to being that (and he’d be insane to accept it).

Our entire youth development was halted a year after Kane got into Spurs first team on a a regular basis when Poch sold all of the youth players who had come through around the same time and got some first team experience for a combined circa £100m to buy the likes of Sissoko

And then stopped all loans out as he wanted the youngsters to learn from his training - and that lack of development was precisely why Madueke said in an interview that he refused Spurs offer of an Academy Scholarship to go to Netherlands where he stood a chance of playing.

Poch's youth development skill is best illustrated by buying AM Juan Foyth for £10m , keeping him training for first team (no youth matches or loans) for 2 years,, then surprised when Foyth gave away 2 penalties on his debut (through lack of game experience). Foyth made about a dozen first team appearances before selling him to Villareal where he was properly developed to be a decent RB/CB.

All of our current lack of Club trained players stem from that era - it takes a minimum of about 5 years to develop Club trained players so Devine is pretty much the first post Poch youngster to come through.

Poch was a good coach but lousy manager !

Yep. As much as I can’t stand the man I think there really is a case that sherwood did more for our youth players at the time than Poch.

Bentaleb - brought through by Sherwood, played a season with Poch but then fell out with him.

Onomah - chased by city and Liverpool but Poch refused to give him a chance

Edwards - see above. No chance given.

KWP - the strangest of them all. Constantly give good performances in the sparse appearances he made only then to be dropped for the next game.

Winks - fair enough, he gave him chances.

Skipp - gave him his debut but then the player never appeared again.

Sure some of them haven’t gone on to set the world alight but if their development wasn’t handled correctly then it’s going to effect the rest of their careers. Poch blew a lot of careers.

No one liked to hear that, but "Poch is good at promoting youth" is plain and simple lie.

He was here for so long, and literally there was ONE player that he promoted and who got some real playing time - Harry Winks. That's it.

Mou was here for much less, but he did the same with Tanganga. But according to common consensus, one was brilliant youth promoter, and other a fossil who wants to have 11 Nemanja Matic'es on the field.

No one liked to hear that, but "Poch is good at promoting youth" is plain and simple lie.

He was here for so long, and literally there was ONE player that he promoted and who got some real playing time - Harry Winks. That's it.

Mou was here for much less, but he did the same with Tanganga. But according to common consensus, one was brilliant youth promoter, and other a fossil who wants to have 11 Nemanja Matic'es on the field.
They clearly were not good enough , nobody has gone on to do anything . Winks is doing well in the Championship . I don’t want to hold back youth , but I don’t want to play them to the detriment of the team .

Back
Top Bottom