January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I can't even think of a right back we could bring in thats as versatile as Emerson as well as somewhat seemingly content with being back up.

Certainly in January. Do the scouting work now (I assume we already are) and look to replace in the summer. But I think Ange is more than happy with him.
I don't even think we will look to replace him in the summer tbh.

His contract and age is the main reason to accept offers.

Solid pro and intelligent player. Not a great fit for the mobility needed to play in this system but would be very very good in the right club

The other reason is that the fear most clubs have of ffp/sustainability now which means the numbers of transfers and even loans this window is going to continue into the summer - it'll be better than now, but nothing like the volume or value of last summer's transfers.

So with fewer transactions there is no certainty there will be a buyer at a decent price for Hojbjerg, so given he's anxious to leave, there is a logic in accepting a decent offer in January for him rather than Ange having to deal with an unhappy player,

But that doesn't mean accepting a really low offer - I see no reason to accept an offer of under 20m/25m

Oh yes.

You’re right about playing first time there. Very good flowing move though -maybe not the best example to criticise him when he’s shown good movement and does play one of the passes first time. You could argue that Son should start his run a little deeper or curve it to stay onside.

It’s a good point but I think looking at that detail is just because he’s Hojbjerg and he’s got this inflated reputation. You can spin that video differently to be much more favourable to him.

That's the only video I have to memory, there's a load of other examples I could bring up in his general play and how he slows things down.

I think he's a pretty good player for the right team, he'd excel in a midfield 3 in a team who don't focus on risky/first time passes but his limitations stick out for us massively.

I don't even think we will look to replace him in the summer tbh.
He’s the opposite of Porro. Can’t carry the ball or pass it forward. He’s an old fashioned, tuck in full back who doesn’t really cross the halfway line. He can defend well but can’t play football. Maybe that’s what we want, an alternative as opposed to an up and coming like for like (style player).

Can’t ignore his positivity either and he’s clearly relatively happy to just play a squad role (I think)

That's the only video I have to memory, there's a load of other examples I could bring up in his general play and how he slows things down.

I think he's a pretty good player for the right team, he'd excel in a midfield 3 in a team who don't focus on risky/first time passes but his limitations stick out for us massively.
You make a good point about how progressive passing by itself isn’t everything. That’s the problem with a lot of these graphs. Statistics claim to be authoritative but you need context.

You make a good point about how progressive passing by itself isn’t everything. That’s the problem with a lot of these graphs. Statistics claim to be authoritative but you need context.
Stats are useful in football but they are an indicator not an authority. Modric didn’t get assists, yet he ran a game and his skills and passing led to loads of goals. I’m not sure how he would track from a broader data perspective but I bet it wouldn’t show his strengths as well as the eye test (reality)

Also these graphs :

0k3UnA4.png

Back
Top Bottom